Posted on Friday, January 23rd, 2015 by David Chen
A Most Violent Year is a slow burn of a film, primarily centered around a simple land deal that entrepreneur Abel Morales (Oscar Isaac) is trying to put together to sustain and grow his young oil business. Yet somehow, writer/director J.C. Chandor is able to up the stakes until they are almost unbearably tense. What hangs in the balance is not merely Morales’ business and the future of his family, but also his sense of self, his moral center. If you extrapolate it further, the film becomes and indictment of American capitalism, in the same way that films like Nightcrawler did in 2014.
With some beautiful cinematography from Bradford Young and some dynamite performances from the leads, A Most Violent Year manages to be haunting, wistful, and unforgettable. Hit the jump to see my full video review of the film.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Casting an amazing actor like Oscar Isaac in a superhero movie is always a great idea, even when you don’t get to see him. Isaac is playing Apocalypse in Bryan Singer‘s X-Men: Apocalypse, a character that – as you can see from the image above – doesn’t really have many human looking qualities. He’s alien, he’s got this huge costume, you’d think Isaac would be unrecognizable as the character. However, we’ve already seen a glimpse of his younger self in Days of Future Past so there’s no guarantee that the film version of Apocalypse will be similar to the comic book version.
In a new interview, Isaac talked a bit about the look of his character, Apocalypse. He admitted that while there will be some digital effects, large parts of it will be physical too. Read Isaac’s Apocalypse costume quotes below. Read More »
“Secrecy” is the word of the day in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, find out how two different stars are handling it, and learn hints of several things shrouded in secrecy, as well as the following:
- The animated series Star Wars Detours might come out later this year.
- The Star Wars Rebels finale is a “home run.”
- Domhnall Gleeson talks Star Wars: The Force Awakens secrecy.
- The cast of Girls has tried to make Adam Driver spill Force Awakens secrets.
- Read the first few pages of Marvel’s Star Wars #1.
- So, exactly how do you pronounce “Poe Dameron?”
- See an official, Japanese Star Wars banner.
- “Tri-Wing Fighter” concept art from The Force Awakens described.
Read More »
Oscar Isaac has a message for Star Wars theorists out there: You’re wrong. In a new interview, one of the stars of Star Wars: The Force Awakens says that most of the theories based on the first trailer for the film “couldn’t be more far off-base.” And while you’d love to believe him, I wonder just how deep into the online speculation he’s dug. Read more from Isaac and about these claims below. Read More »
Star Wars Bits is back with a vengeance. We’ve got The Force Awakens, we’ve got the spinoffs, we’ve got Clone Wars, comic books, art and so much more. Below, read about the following:
- New spin-off rumors suggest it’s about Han Solo, Aaron Paul is involved and filming starts after Spectre.
- Watch a sueded version of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer.
- The stunt actor playing Chewbacca in The Force Awakens may have been revealed.
- Marvel will rerelease their original Star Wars comics in remastered editions.
- Watch a trailer for the Star Wars Fan Film Awards.
- See the animated Lucasfilm holiday card.
- Matt Lanter recorded some new Anakin Skywalker Clone Wars voice over last week.
- Oscar Isaac got his Star Wars obsessed uncle a role in The Force Awakens.
- A new rumor says Lupita Nyong’o‘s Force Awakens character is nothing like you’ve heard.
- What box office records could Star Wars: The Force Awakens break?
- Han Solo and Chewbacca Force Awakens concept art, villain rumors, Imperial ships and more.
Read More »
Lucasfilm and EW have chosen just about the coolest way for you to meet the characters in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. They’ve released images of Topps-style trading cards, based on old Star Wars designs, that reveal the Star Wars: The Force Awakens official character names. Read them below. Read More »
Oscar Isaac continues to offer up awesome stories from The Force Awakens. Below, read about those as well as these interesting Star Wars Bits.
- Oscar Isaac talks flying an X-Wing, practical effects and more in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- New details surface about Andy Serkis‘ Force Awakens‘ character.
- Serkis was pleasantly surprised by the reaction to the trailer.
- iTunes may have mistakenly identified the hooded figure in The Force Awakens trailer.
- Joel Edgerton will bet you $50 he knows the identity of the same character.
- In 2008, George Lucas said there would never be a Sequel Trilogy
- Learn how to 3D print your own triple lightsaber.
- Marvel’s Star Wars #1 is going to set some sales records, plus see the best variant cover yet.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Oscar Isaac is one of us, a geek through and through. But at this time last year, we had no idea. A year ago, Isaac was the star of a wonderful Coen Bros. movie, Inside Llewyn Davis, which was a big coming-out party for the actor. Before that he’d appeared mostly as stand out supporting character in Drive, Body of Lies, Robin Hood and others. Fast forward a year, and now we’ve not only seen him fly an X-Wing in the trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens and he’s also been cast as the ultimate mutant baddie, Apocalypse, in X-Men: Apocalypse. Those are two of the biggest franchise movies Hollywood has happening.
Isaac was out promoting his latest film, A Most Violent Year, and was asked about both projects. Turns out, he’s been an Apocalypse fan for decades and he still can’t believe he got to fly an X-Wing. You can watch the Oscar Isaac Star Wars and X-Men videos below. Read More »