Posted on Monday, April 20th, 2015 by Angie Han
At the end of Mojave, a devilish drifter played by Oscar Isaac poses a question to a jaded Hollywood star played by Garrett Hedlund: “Do you know yet which one of us is the bad guy?” That, I guess, is the question being posed by writer-director William Monahan (The Departed) in this odd thriller. But the question I walked away from was an entirely different one: “What’s the difference between poetry and pretentious pablum?” Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Thursday, April 16th, 2015 by Angie Han
Star Wars Celebration got off to a rousing start today with the Star Wars: The Force Awakens panel. Details were spilled, footage was revealed, cast members were celebrated — and among all that, a bunch of new official images were revealed.
Some were stills featuring characters like Rey (Daisy Ridley), Fin (John Boyega), and Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac); others were behind-the-scenes images of director J.J. Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, and more. Flip through the new Star Wars 7 images after the jump.
Read More »
Talking in details about Ex Machina is difficult without spoiling some of the film’s biggest reveals. Writer/director Alex Garland has crafted a fascinating sci-fi thriller and, in speaking with both he and star Oscar Isaac, we had to talk about some of the bigger questions the raised by the end of the film.
On the topic of one particular question, the actor and director had opposite ideas about how things would have played out. In discussing some of the facets of the ending, Isaac offers interesting insight in what the film pretends to be, what it actually is, and what the characters are thinking. Below, read the director and actor talk about the Ex Machina ending. And, of course, major spoiler warning. Read More »
Star Wars Celebration leads the charge in this edition of Star Wars Bits, with lots of info on the event. Plus, video games, set stories and more. Below, read about the following:
- Felicity Jones says she’s starting to get ready for Star Wars: Rogue One.
- Hear Carrie Fisher talk about being scared on the set of Star Wars.
- Get details on attending Thursday’s Celebration Star Wars: The Force Awakens panel and see the floor plan.
- Daredevil’s showrunner would love to do a live action Star Wars series.
- Oscar Isaac explains how he learns about Force Awakens online spoilers.
- Footage from Visceral’s untitled Star Wars game likely to debut at E3.
- A tease from the Star Wars Battlefront reveal, as well as a potential release date.
- See the Boba Fett action figure variant cover of Star Wars #4.
- Details have been revealed of the Star Wars cruise packages.
- The cast has been revealed for the Smuggler’s Bounty reading at Celebration.
- The Force Awakens novelization might be delayed until 2016.
- Listen to the funny advice Harrison Ford gave to Oscar Isaac on the set of The Force Awakens.
Read More »
Fans love to complain that good sci-fi isn’t released any longer. Alex Garland‘s Ex Machina, however, is good sci-fi. The passage of time may even turn it into great sci-fi. The film stars Oscar Isaac as Nathan, a billionaire savant who created a fictional analog to Google. He invites Caleb (Domhnall Gleeson), one of his employees, to his secluded home in order to test a new piece of technology. That technology is a beautiful, mysterious, artificially intelligent robot named Ava (Alicia Vikander).
After that setup, the film is very careful about letting us know what is really going on. Caleb, Nathan and Ava all seemingly have their own agendas in a very tense, very exciting sci-fi story that surprises from the first moment to the last.
We were lucky enough to speak to Isaac about this great movie. He discussed how he shaped such a fascinating, yet seemingly familiar character, creating tension on set, the influences on the character – including Stanley Kubrick – and, of course, some discussion of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and X-Men Apocalypse.
There are no spoilers here. We’ll post those after opening weekend. For now, read our Oscar Isaac Ex Machina interview. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Next week, the second trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be revealed. You can read more about that here. It’ll then be in theaters with Avengers: Age of Ultron. But what, specifically, will the trailer feature? MakingStarWars has a very intriguing list of images they believe are going to appear in the trailer. If it’s true, this is going to be insane. Read the Force Awakens trailer 2 details below.
Read More »
UPDATE: We spoke to Isaac and he clarified the intentions of his quote. Original story follows.
If J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm were a bit more open about who and what the characters in Star Wars: The Force Awakens were, what follows might not be news. But right now, even though we know Oscar Isaac plays a character named Poe Dameron, we don’t know who that is. We’ve heard some rumors, and those rumors are that he’s very important to the sequel trilogy; the Han Solo of the younger generation. But those are just rumors. The fact of the matter is we don’t know who or what is important to this trilogy of films.
In a new interview, Isaac discussed Rian Johnson‘s Star Wars Episode VIII. His quote, albeit brief, could be construed as a spoiler for anyone avoiding info on who or what makes it to the end of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Read the Poe Dameron Episode 8 quote below, but proceed with caution.
Read More »
Ex Machina, the directorial debut from screenwriter and producer Alex Garland (Never Let Me Go, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Dredd) may be the antidote for your original sci-fi blues. At least that’s what the response in the film’s run in the UK and other countries suggests, and what the very positive reviews out of SXSW seem to indicate. The film went over particularly well in its US debut at the festival last weekend.
Garland has crafted a film in which a programmer and a CEO, played by Domhnall Gleeson and Oscar Isaac test, and are tested by Ava (Alicia Vikander), a powerful artificial intelligence. The film sounds like the next step in an evolutionary ladder that goes from Frankenstein to Blade Runner, and you can see a new Ex Machina trailer below. Read More »
Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron takes a starring role in this latest Star Wars Bits, but there’s much more too. Below read about the following:
- Does Star Wars Episode VIII have a Japanese component?
- Read a great history of what Rogue One actually means.
- The Rogue One trademark contains the words “Star Wars.”
- Find out when each of the shots in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser take place in the movie.
- Domhnall Gleeson forgot we knew the name “Poe Dameron” in this interview. Proceeds to freak out.
- Find out a bit more about Poe Dameron’s X-Wing.
- The author of Star Wars: Aftermath has been revealed.
- Learn some of the Luke Skywalker revelations in Heir to the Jedi.
- Will we see Star Wars Battlefront at Star Wars Celebration?
Read More »