For about a year now, Let Me In and Cloverfield director Matt Reeves has been attached to a new theatrical film based on The Twilight Zone. It was just one of several projects on the director’s plate and certainly the most high profile. In that time, multiple writers had been tasked with writing a screenplay but, with nare a greenlight in sight after a year, it seems Reeves has decided to move on. He will no longer direct Warner Bros. new Twilight Zone movie.
Instead, he’s now become the frontrunner to replace Rupert Wyatt as the director of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Also on the short list behind Reeves: J Blakeson (The Disappearance of Alice Creed), Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later), Jeff Nichols (Take Shelter), Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy), Juan Antonio Bayona (The Impossible) and Rian Johnson (Looper). Read more after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Briefly: Warner Bros. is still poking at a new take on The Twilight Zone, and has set a new writer to tackle the script. Joby Harold, who did work on the Tom Cruise project All You Need is Kill (which may end up with a different title) is the latest writer on the new thriller/sci-fi picture. Jason Rothenberg wrote the draft that got things going, and Anthony Peckham (Sherlock Holmes) rewrote last year.
Now Variety says Warner Bros. wanted someone with sci-fi chops to take a pass before Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In) directs the feature. We don’t know much about what shape this particular take on the show will have, but the trade says “this pic will have one story that features elements from the “Twilight Zone” universe made popular by Rod Serling’s classic TV series.”
Posted on Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 by Angie Han
Arnold Schwarzenegger may not be as young as he once was, but James Cameron’s convinced that his Terminator character has plenty of life left in him yet. Also after the jump:
- Grown-Ups 2 will shoot in Marblehead, MA
- Brad Bird probably won’t direct Mission: Impossible 5
- Cloverfield 2 is still searching for a new idea
- The Star Trek video game unveils a new teaser
Read More »
Project X, released last Friday, got some people angry, but Warner Bros. isn’t among those irritated by the teen party movie. The low-budget film is considered a success with $21m earned so far, and the studio and producers Todd Phillips and Joel Silver are already putting together plans for a sequel.
Michael Bacall (story and co-writer on the first movie) is working on a sequel treatment with Matt Drake. They started that work before the film was released, and in the wake of its success are moving forward. Until that’s handed in we’re not likely to get any more info, including whether or not any of the main cast (Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper and Jonathan Brown) will return, or if the sequel would focus on different kids. [THR]
After the break, The Cabin in the Woods director Drew Goddard talks about a Cloverfield sequel, Rose Byrne pitches Bridesmaids in Space, and Journey 3 director Brad Peyton hints at the film’s scope. Read More »
Briefly: Paramount and J.J. Abrams’ company Bad Robot are putting together a new mystery movie, and have tapped Brad Parker to direct. Parker made The Diary of Lawson Oxford, and also worked as second-unit director on Let Me In. Keeping things in the family, Let Me In director Matt Reeves will produce this currently untitled action film, alongside Abrams and Bryan Burk.
The script is by actor and writer Michael Gilio (who wrote a draft of Carter Beats the Devil) but we’ve got no details on it right now.
Gilio also wrote a draft of Treasure Island that had Paul Greengrass attached for a moment, and he wrote a script called The Interventionalist with which Alexander Payne was involved back in 2010. He also had the script Big Hole on the 2008 Black List. None of that stuff is produced yet, however, so unless you track down the feature Kwik Stop, which Gilio wrote and directed in 2001, this Bad Robot film will be the real introduction to his writing work. [Variety]
Posted on Thursday, December 1st, 2011 by Angie Han
Two projects based on world-famous properties you probably loved growing up are inching just a little bit closer to the big screen. MGM has tapped Todd Berger to adapt Martin Handford‘s children’s book series Where’s Waldo? into a feature, while over at Warner Bros., Invictus and Sherlock Holmes writer Anthony Peckham has entered talks to do a rewrite of Matt Reeves‘ The Twilight Zone. More details after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 by David Chen
This week, Dave Chen, Devindra Hardawar and Adam Quigley chat about the fall of Netflix, enjoy the listlessness of The Trip, debate the impressiveness of The Last Exorcism, and try to figure out who would pay $60 for Tower Heist. Special guest Matt Patches joins us from Hollywood.com.
You can always e-mail us at slashfilmcast(AT)gmail(DOT)com, or call and leave a voicemail at 781-583-1993. Tune in on Sunday night (11/6) at Slashfilm’s live page at 10 PM EST / 7 PM PST as we review A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas.
Download or Play Now in your Browser:
Subscribe to the /Filmcast:
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Warner Bros. has settled on a director to helm the studio’s new feature based on Rod Serling’s ground-breaking TV series The Twilight Zone. Matt Reeves, director of Cloverfield and Let Me In, will make the movie for the studio based on a script by Jason Rothenberg. What happened to those talks with directors like Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay, Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men), Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) and David Yates (Harry Potter films)? I bet Matt Reeves is a lot cheaper, and might have promised a cheaper movie overall. And he might be a better choice than most, too. Read More »