Posted on Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 by Angie Han
Mark Hamill still won’t confirm his Star Wars Episode VII casting, but he doesn’t have to because Carrie Fisher has already done it for him. Also after the jump:
- Judi Dench is the latest actor hit with Episode VII rumors
- The Boba Fett spinoff may change a few things from Episode II
- Animation on the first episode of Star Wars Rebels is complete
- Disney doesn’t have the Star Wars 1313 trademark anymore
- Here’s how to win a trip Skywalker Ranch and help Make-A-Wish
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
The Star Wars spinoff written by Lawrence Kasdan is, in fact, a Boba Fett movie. So says Hollywood director and animator Jon Schnepp. Read about that, and the following, in this edition of Star Wars Bits.
- Get a good look at the Star Wars Rebels villain The Inquisitor via his toy.
- Watch Star Wars highlights from the Tournament of Roses parade.
- Read about the upcoming Random House book Maul Lockdown.
- Sideshow Collectibles reveals Star Wars toy designs by Ralph McQuarrie.
Read More »
Over the past few weeks, it’s become pretty obvious casting Star Wars Episode VII is a priority at Disney and Lucasfilm. Besides all the major actors who’ve read for roles, open casting calls literally all over the world are still ongoing, hoping to find two teenagers who are believed to anchor the film.
A new report in the Hollywood Reporter suggests that search is still ongoing and adds a new wrinkle. The piece says, because of the recent rewrite by J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan, they’re also casting “a 40-something military man a la Matt Damon in Elysium.” Read More »
The Star Wars world was shook last last month when it was announced screenwriter Michael Arndt was leaving Star Wars Episode VII. He was replaced by the film’s director J.J. Abrams and producer Lawrence Kasdan, who himself wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark. To many, the move was the first acknowledgement there were major behind the scenes issues with the highly anticipated sequel. Yet, despite rumors of disagreements between Arndt and Abrams, no one officially commented.
Abrams is now out doing press for his show Almost Human and blamed the aggressive timeframe for the film as the reason for the change. Read his quotes below. Read More »
If you wondered why there hasn’t been any real news on the Star Wars Episode VII front, this is likely a big part of the reason. The script Michael Arndt was writing (likely based on George Lucas‘ original outline) is no longer in play. Instead, J.J. Abrams and Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan are scripting. Read More »
Fans have spent so much time focusing on what’s going to happen with J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars Episode VII, we’ve all but ignored the 2016 Star Wars film. Not Episode VIII mind you — that’ll likely be in 2017. In 2016, we’ll get a Star Wars spinoff movie, written and produced by either Lawrence Kasdan or Simon Kinberg. Each writer is working on a film that’ll focus on a specific Star Wars character; we’ve known these spin-off movies are meant to be released between episodes of the new trilogy. Possible characters rumored for these films are Yoda, Han Solo or Boba Fett.
If that’s true though, which stories will we see on screen? At a recent Disney investor conference, chief financial officer Jay Rasulo referred to those movies not as “spin-offs,” but as “origin story films.” Read More »
There’s lots of Star Wars trivia, jokes and crazy fandom in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- A conversation from July 1981 where George Lucas described the prequels, with a few differences.
- Electronic Arts plans to reveal their new Star Wars games at E3.
- Luke Skywalker’s pants from A New Hope sold for $36,000.
- J.J. Abrams promises include a Conan O’Brien Easter Egg in Star Wars Episode VII.
- The world’s largest Lego creation has been revealed, and it’s an X-Wing Fighter.
- A fake J.J. Abrams Star Wars Episode VII trailer plays with the mystery box.
- Awesome new Star Wars art is out next week from Acme Archives.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
This week I talked to the great people at the Writers Guild Foundation Archive about giving us access to something unprecedented from Star Wars history. Screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan donated his original handwritten first draft of The Empire Strikes Back. The WGA West archive has the only copy in existence, other than the original, in addition to later drafts with notes by Kasdan himself. After the jump you’ll see a series of pages that the WGA West has given us exclusive access to premiere in celebration of the “May the Fourth” celebration. So enjoy, and may the fourth be with you!
Read More »