Southpaw was a mild success. The Antoine Fuqua-directed boxing pic was forecast as an Awards contender, with plenty of buzz going around for Jake Gyllenhaal‘s performance. While the film might not go that distance, a Southpaw re-release is happening. So if you missed out on the pretty decent and pretty on-the-nose drama, it’s returning to theaters this Friday. Learn why after the jump.
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Thursday, August 27th, 2015 by Angie Han
Sons of Anarchy ended its run at FX back in December, but the Mayans may yet ride again. Series creator Kurt Sutter is reportedly working on a Sons of Anarchy spinoff for FX, which would focus on SAMCRO’s Hispanic rivals. More details on the possible Sons of Anarchy spinoff after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Friday, June 5th, 2015 by Angie Han
How do you follow up a performance like the one in Nightcrawler? If you’re Jake Gyllenhaal, you bulk up until you’re nearly unrecognizable as the same guy who played the gaunt and hungry Lou Bloom, and then you get in the ring for director Antoine Fuqua.
In Southpaw, Gyllenhaal plays a boxer who’s on top of the world… until a tragic incident sends his life spinning out of control. After hitting rock bottom, Billy begins the difficult process of scraping himself back together, with the aid of his new mentor Tick (Forest Whitaker). Check out the new Southpaw trailer after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Friday, March 27th, 2015 by Angie Han
Jake Gyllenhaal has had a really excellent run over these past few years, culminating in a career-best performance with Nightcrawler. But it’s not over. He seems poised to continue his winning streak with Southpaw, if the first trailer is any indication.
Directed by Antoine Fuqua and written by Kurt Sutter, Southpaw stars Gyllenhaal as a boxer who’s lost everything — up to and including his daughter, who’s been taken away by Child Services. He begins the painful process of putting his life back together the only way he knows how, by re-entering the ring.
Rachel McAdams plays his beautiful wife, Forest Whitaker his strict coach, and Oona Laurence his cute kid. Check out the Southpaw trailer after the jump. Read More »
TV Bits: ‘Game of Thrones’, ‘Sons of Anarchy’, ‘Community’, ‘Luther’, ‘Portlandia’, ‘Under the Dome’
Posted on Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 by Angie Han
Game of Thrones has ended for the year, but its shadow continues to loom large. After the jump:
- Portlandia will return for two more seasons
- What happens of Game of Thrones catches up to the books?
- A Sons of Anarchy prequel is still a long ways away
- Dan Harmon closes his Community Season 5 deal
- Harry Potter‘s Tom Felton will bring his sneer to TNT
- Frank Darabont finds his Mickey Cohen for Lost Angels
- Under the Dome plucks a star from The Following
- Veronica Mars adds a bunch of fan favorites, and also Piz
- Watch a trailer for the upcoming fourth season of Luther
- Starz’s The White Queen tries to fill the Game of Thrones gap
- HBO offers new trailers for a bunch of their non-GOT shows
Antoine Fuqua Interested in Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner For Boxing Drama ‘Southpaw’
Posted on Friday, March 1st, 2013 by Germain Lussier
Director Antoine Fuqua has been developing a boxing drama named Southpaw for some time. Written by Kurt Sutter (Sons of Anarchy) it’s the story of a left-handed boxing champion whose life is destroyed and he’s forced to fight his way back. Eminem had long been attached to star as the fighter, but when DreamWorks dropped the film that casting became less likely. MGM then scooped up the rights to Southpaw but Fuqua went off to make Olympus Has Fallen.
With that film in theaters later this month, Fuqua’s attention once again shifts to Southpaw. Eminem will still be involved in some way, but odds are he won’t star. To fill the lead role, Fuqua said he’s recently spoken to three of the most popular leading men around: Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner. Read More »
TV Bits: ‘Arrested Development’, ‘Mockingbird Lane’, ‘Modern Family’, ‘Louie’, ‘Sons of Anarchy’, ‘How I Met Your Mother’, and More
Posted on Monday, July 30th, 2012 by Angie Han
As the Bluths and the Munsters prepare to come back to TV, it looks like SAMCRO and the MacLaren’s gang may be on their way out. After the jump:
- Here’s Michael Cera on the Arrested Development set
- More details on the Munsters reboot Mockingbird Lane
- Modern Family‘s adults get their raises, kids want the same
- FX renews Louie and probably Wilfred and Justified
- Anger Management gets Martin Sheen, many more episodes
- FX’s Sons of Anarchy will likely end after Season 7
- How I Met Your Mother will treat Season 8 like it’s the last
- … which means releasing a new original soundtrack, apparently
- CBS unveils posters for Elementary, Vegas, and more
TV Bits: Netflix Could Save ‘Terra Nova’, Plus: ‘Mad Men’, ‘Community’, ‘Sons of Anarchy’, Ken Marino & Judy Greer
Posted on Thursday, March 8th, 2012 by Angie Han
There’s good stuff today for fans of Community, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, and even the just-cancelled Terra Nova. After the jump:
- Terra Nova could go the way of Arrested Development
- A new Community trailer hints at the madness to come
- Cast and crew continue to play coy in new Mad Men featurette
- Kurt Sutter hints at Sons of Anarchy Season 5, wants to do a prequel
- Ken Marino joins Judy Greer in American Judy
Posted on Thursday, October 20th, 2011 by Germain Lussier
After getting brutally knocked out by DreamWorks, Southpaw is making a comeback. The boxing drama, directed by Antoine Fuqua and starring Eminem, was dropped by DreamWorks in August and has since been aggressively pitched to other studios. MGM has finally agreed to produce the movie with Sony set to distribute and production will likely begin next year.
Southpaw, written by Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter, centers on a left-handed boxer and his rise towards a championship in the midst of personal tragedy. It’s said to mirror many of the true life trials of Eminem’s life, much in the way the rapper’s last film, 8 Mile, was a fictionalized story with real life inspiration. Read More »