Posted on Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
The morning after watching 28 minutes of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, I joined the rest of the gathered press as we reconvened at Lucasfilm for a full day of interviews (which you can read right over here). But before that, we assembled for the group press conference, moderated by StarWars.com’s Andi Gutierrez. In attendance were Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, director Gareth Edwards, visual effects supervisor (and story creator) John Knoll, and actors Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Alan Tudyk, Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen, and Riz Ahmed.
The result was a sprawling morning that covered everything from the genesis of the film’s unique look, to George Lucas’ reaction to the final cut, to Kathleen Kennedy addressing her previous comments about women directing Star Wars movies…to Alan Tudyk’s very, very tight motion capture jumpsuit. Here’s everything you need to know.
Read More »
We’ve already begun to learn about the success of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Fandango sold hundreds of thousands of tickets in the first few minutes, and last week box office tracking services estimated the opening weekend box office could hit the high $120 million range to the near $150 million range. But no matter how successful this movie is, don’t expect a Rogue One sequel.
Read More »
Posted on Monday, November 28th, 2016 by Angie Han
In a lot of ways, the Star Wars franchise is more female-friendly than ever. Rey and Jyn are positioned as the first new protagonists of the Disney era. Women like Kathleen Kennedy and Kiri Hart are in charge behind the scenes at Lucasfilm, and women make up half the executive team. But there’s one area of Star Wars filmmaking that shows a disappointing lack of progress: even now, every single filmmaker who has directed or is slated to direct a Star Wars movie is male.
And although Kennedy has insisted we will see some female filmmakers join the Star Wars franchise someday, it sounds like that day might still be a ways off. In a recent interview, Kennedy said the difficulty so far has been finding female filmmakers with the right experience. Read More »
When Disney acquired Lucasfilm from George Lucas, they announced they would be making three new Star Wars films continuing the Skywalker saga, as well as revealed plans to develop stand-alone anthology movies set outside of this overarching story. As we near the first “Star Wars Story” Rogue One, it occurs to us that Colin Trevorrow‘s Star Wars Episode IX isn’t that far off in the distance (currently scheduled to hit theaters on May 24th, 2019). Will that be the finale in the Skywalker movies? Will the Star Wars saga continue after Episode 9? Find out what Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy says, after the jump.
Read More »
UPDATE: In a recent interview, Kathleen Kennedy confirmed to Variety that Rogue One won’t have an opening crawl, saying, “We felt that’s so indicative of what those saga films are. Initially, we probably will begin the film in a way that is traditional, with just the title.”
So will we get the traditional Star Wars logo floating back into space accompanied by the iconic John Williams theme and followed by the Rogue One title? Or will the initial title say Rogue One: A Star Wars Story? This will likely be something we won’t find out until the movie debuts next month. Our original story from July 18, 2016 follows below.
There’s been plenty of buzz about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story over the past month. Plenty of new details and photos were revealed in a big Entertainment Weekly spread (including confirmation of Darth Vader’s return), such as the reveal of Forest Whitaker starring in the film as a character borrowed from the Clone Wars animated series, clarification on the reshoots that were taking place this summer, and much more. Plus, this past weekend brought a stunning new teaser poster and a revealing sizzle reel showing tons of behind the scenes footage. You can find out much more in our recap of the panel previewing the film.
Now with Star Wars Celebration over, we have one more update from the convention this past weekend, and it’s something that is likely to rile up some fans. Despite the fact that Kathleen Kennedy was previously unsure if Rogue One: A Star Wars Story would have an opening crawl like the rest of the films in the Star Wars saga, she seemed to have a slightly more definitive answer at Star Wars Celebration. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016 by Jacob Hall
The most exciting aspect of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is that it represents an opportunity for Lucasfilm and the various creative people in its employ to break the mold on what a Star Wars movie can be. Freed from the obligation of carrying on the core saga, these spin-off movies have the potential to hire interesting directors with unique takes on the material who want to color far outside of the lines.
With Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy now describing Chris Miller and Phil Lord‘s upcoming Han Solo film as a heist movie and a western, it certainly sounds like they’re using these spin-offs to try something a little different.
Read More »
Over the summer there was a lot of drama regarding reshoots on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. At the end of May, the story of Rogue One reshoots first emerged, indicating that Disney was unhappy with the first cut of the Star Wars spin-off from Godzilla director Gareth Edwards. A follow-up indicated that the reshoots were intended to lighten up the tone a bit, while another story made the situation sound more dire with reports that 40% of the movie needed to be reshot. Then clarification came detailing the extent of the reshoots and who was involved behind the scenes. This all unfolded over a single week.
Now a few months later, we have a little more perspective from Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Rogue One lead actress Felicity Jones. It should come as no surprise that they’re each playing it off as business as usual, saying the reshoots were nothing out of the ordinary. Read More »
While appearing at a New York Goldman Sachs conference today, Disney CEO Bob Iger warned that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will not be doing bonkers Star Wars: The Force Awakens-level box office and revealed that he had a meeting with Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy this week plotting out Star Wars for 2021 and beyond.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 by Angie Han
When Lucasfilm announced earlier this month that Alden Ehrenreich would lead the Han Solo anthology film, they were just confirming what fans already knew — the trades had revealed the casting months ago. But not every report and rumor pans out so nicely. For example, there’s been a lot of speculation that Ehrenreich’s Han Solo could cameo in this winter’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. However, director Gareth Edwards has gone on the record to shut down the rumors.
Meanwhile, over at Warner Bros., Suicide Squad director David Ayer is battling a pesky and persistent fan theory of his own. Many have wondered if Jared Leto‘s Joker could be Jason Todd, whose defaced costume was seen in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but Ayer insists that’s not the case. Read More »
At Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016, Disney finally confirmed what everyone in the galaxy already knew: Alden Ehrenreich would be playing a young Han Solo in the yet-to-be-titled A Star Wars Story standalone film from Lego Movie geniuses Phil Lord and Chris Miller. But what we didn’t know at the time is just how many films Alden Ehrenreich is signed on for. A new report claims that the Hail, Caesar! star is signed to a three-picture deal, which would bring a Han Solo movie trilogy to life. While I believe he is signed on for three films, I don’t think we’ll be getting a Han Solo trilogy. Let me explain why.
Read More »