This trailer for CBGB, which dramatizes the history of the NYC club that was the birthplace of new wave and punk in America, makes a lot of noise about the fact that the club’s bathroom (above) was famously gross. In fact, after the club closed, parts of that bathroom and other elements of the joint were actually disassembled and worked into the sets used for the movie.
And yet the footage itself looks like a squeaky clean recreation of the house where bands like Blondie, the Talking Heads and the Ramones built their careers.
Kids deserve to know about the roots of punk rock in the US, and there’s nothing really wrong with a bunch of people playing dress-up as the biggest figures of the NYC new wave and punk scene. But it’s pretty funny. Watch the footage below and you’ll see Alan Rickman as Hilly Kristal, who opened the iconic club in ’73, Donal Logue as his compatriot, and Malin Akerman, Rupert Grint, Ashley Greene, Johnny Galecki, Ryan Hurst, Justin Bartha and Bradley Whitford as members of Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones, Dead Boys, The Police, Iggy Pop and Patti Smith Group. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
The Hangover Part III isn’t much of a comedy. It wants to be funny (I think) but there are stretches without even an attempt at a joke. It’s closer to a hallucinogenic drama, decorated occasionally with an bloom of laughter. There are wild moments, but compared to the first two movies this one pushes the needle towards a different form of “outrageous.” (The most conventionally extreme jokes come when a mid-credits stinger scene goes straight for what viewers of the second film jeered: a flat-out reprise of the scenario from the original film.)
The focus this time is Zach Galifianakis as the damaged, nearly deranged Alan. Entitled and abusive, Alan is domineering at home and ever more reckless in the wild. His grossly disastrous attempt to domesticate a giraffe leads to horror at home; soon his wolf pack “friends” from the previous two films unite to stage an intervention. The Hangover Part III doesn’t go very far with the intervention idea, because further trouble takes precedence. A gangster once robbed by Lesley Chow (Ken Jeong) coerces the guys into tracking Chow, and life goes off the rails once more.
Director Todd Phillips, who co-wrote with Craig Mazin, seems stuck halfway between two extremes. On one side there’s a super-dark movie about mental illness; on the other there’s an Id-indulging comedy. In a way that is almost perversely appropriate for a film series about hijacked plans, The Hangover Part III never gets close to either point.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, May 16th, 2013 by Angie Han
Four years after The Hangover blew up their careers in a big way, Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, and Zach Galifianakis are circling back to close that chapter of their careers once and for all. Or at least until Warner Bros. realize these movies are still making a ton of money and they need to make more of them.
A new red-band trailer has dropped for The Hangover Part III, the last planned installment of the comedy franchise. As always, red-band means NSFW, so take a look around before you hit the jump to check it out.
Read More »
Posters, quotes, casting and replacements are all part of this edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump, read about the following:
- Sam Worthington discusses the Avatar sequels and a possible third Clash of the Titans film.
- The Hangover Part III Twitter account has revealed some more character posters.
- Is Antonio Banderas joining The Expendables III?
- Benjamin Bratt replaces Al Pacino in Despicable Me 2.
- Listen to Star Trek Into Darkness writers Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci talk secrets, fan influence, and villains.
- The poster for Grown Up 2 is a throwback.
- Actress Sophia Myles joins Transformers 4.
- Michelle Rodriguez confirms the villain for Fast and Furious 7.
- Check out an image of FEMA’s role in Godzilla.
- Check out the cover of the Art of 300: Rise of an Empire book.
Read More »
After months of radio silence regarding The Hangover Part III, now it seems like you can close your eyes without a glimpse at the Wolfpack. Commercials, posters, stills and now Warner Bros. has released a second trailer, which finally reveals the story behind the epic conclusion of the blockbuster comedy trilogy.
Seems Chow (Ken Jeong) stole a lot of money from John Goodman‘s character and only four men can find him: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis and, maybe, Justin Bartha. Check it out below. Read More »
While most blockbuster Summer movies release their first trailer months, maybe even a year, in advance, it’s oddly appropriate that The Hangover Part III has waited so long. Phil, Alan, Doug and Stu are pretty much always late, aren’t they?
The final installment in Todd Phillips‘ massively success franchise opens May 24, just 11 short weeks from now. Once again Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms and Justin Bartha are in trouble and, in the first trailer below, you can get a hint of exactly what that means this time around. Read More »
Posted on Monday, December 17th, 2012 by Angie Han
Wondering what sequelized delights await us in 2013 and beyond? After the jump:
- Jackie Chan joins Expendables 3, wants to do Rush Hour 4
- Dennis Haysbert talks about replacing Michael Clarke Duncan in Sin City 2
- Mark Wahlberg calls Transformers 4 the most important role of his career
- Michael Bay says that the “leaked” Transformers 4 script is a fake
- David Wain is definitely still working on Wet Hot American Summer 2
- Adam Green is excited to explore Victor Crowley’s story in Hatchet III
- J.J. Abrams has thoughts on the 3D conversion for Star Trek Into Darkness
- George Miller‘s Mad Max: Fury Road has finished shooting
- New images and plot details emerge for The Hangover Part 3
- A still from Red 2 shows off some godawful outfits
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Friday, November 9th, 2012 by Angie Han
Before you head off for the weekend, we’ve got a few last sequel-related odds and ends. After the jump:
- Kristen Stewart says she’ll probably be in SWATH 2
- The Last Exorcism II reveals an official synopsis
- Get your first look at one of the Wargs from The Hobbit…
- … and then look up exactly where you can see it in HFR 3D
- The Hangover 3 uploads to Instagram; find out who dies
Read More »