I’m beginning to think that Michael Bay and his cohorts at Platinum Dunes are brilliant marketers. We’re more than a year away from the release of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film that Bay and Dunes are producing, with Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans) directing, and there have been headlines about the project every day for the past few days. What was viewed as a weird reboot project with an unlikely creative team has turned into something that many people are talking about, even if the conversation right now is generally negative.
It started when Bay said the Turtles are “from an alien race,” which caused an uproar amongst fans. Now just about everyone who could chime in has, from the original TMNT creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, to various actors involved in the franchise in the past, all the way down to Bay and Liebesman.
Now there is a rumor that the film is simply called Ninja Turtles, and that the characters are also not teenagers. Does this mean there won’t be any marketing tie-ins with national pizza chains? Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Controversy errupted when Michael Bay made a small comment about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action reboot he is producing. Bay mentioned that the Turtles in his movie are “from an alien race” which is a big change from the mythology we’ve come to know from the comics, cartoons, and movies released thus far. Bay quickly shot back by advising everyone to “take a breath, and chill,” asserting that he was “working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story.”
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles creators Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman individually came to Bay’s defense. Laird said “But I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the “chill pill” Mr. Bay recently suggested they take, and wait and see what might come out of this seemingly ill-conceived plan. It’s possible that with enough truly creative brainpower applied to this idea, it might actually work. I’m not saying it’s probable, or even somewhat likely… but it IS possible.” Eastman responded, “I had been invited to check out the TMNT film development by my friend Scott Mednick over the years, and a while back had a full look behind the curtian at what writers [Josh] Appelbaum and [Andre] Nemec, director [Jonathan] Liebesman, and producer Bay are doing–and trust me–it IS AWESOME. I’m officially on board.”
Today director Jonathan Liebesman (Battle: LA) has surfaced to make some peace with fans and explain what is currently going on with the project, how they plan to shoot it, and what to expect. Meanwhile, TMNT co-creator Peter Laird has come back to clarify his previous pro-Bay comments, saying he hates the idea of intergalactic Ninja Turtles. All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 by Angie Han
At the start of this week, Michael Bay pissed off Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lovers everywhere by revealing that the new Turtles film, which he’s producing, will see the central characters reimagined as aliens rather than mutants. Predictably, a firestorm ensued, and even more predictably, Bay responded to the the outrage by stating that “fans need to take a breath, and chill.”
“Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story,” he assured them. That “original creator” is Kevin Eastman, and Eastman’s now making it known that he is indeed behind Bay’s vision 100%. Read his comments after the jump.
Read More »
Briefly: Yesterday a quote from Michael Bay surfaced in which the producer/director said that the Platinum Dunes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, produced by Bay and to be directed by Jonathan Liebesman, would feature characters that are “from an alien race.” Fans of the property flipped out a bit, but at the time Bay hadn’t taken to his own forums to respond.
Now he has, and his statement is about what you’d expect:
Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.
The new TMNT film is written by Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec and we know little about it, other than characters from the early issues of the comic series will appear, and Paramount has planned a Christmas Day 2013 release date. And while we’re on the subject, I’d like to direct you to this related Onion article.
I’ll say this for Jonathan Liebesman‘s Clash of the Titans sequel Wrath of the Titans: the movie really doesn’t look to skimp on the creatures and mythical monsters. Not only that, but it gives the returning Sam Worthington a haircut that is really worthy of the legacy of Harry Hamlin’s style from the 1981 Clash of the Titans. (Not sure that’s a good thing, actually.)
Anyway, the sequel has Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes reprising their roles as Zeus and Hades, and adds Toby Kebbell and Rosamund Pike, both of whom get a couple good shots in this new trailer. But most of what this new look affers is monsters, monsters, monsters. Which is a big part of what we really need from a movie like this, after all. Check it out below. Read More »
There is finally movement on the new version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that Platinum Dunes and Paramount have been assembling.
Jonathan Liebesman, director of Battle: Los Angeles and the Clash of the Titans sequel Wrath of the Titans, is now in talks to direct the new TMNT film written by Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec. Read More »
Does Warner Bros. not care if anyone watches the trailer for Wrath of the Titans? Less than an hour after the trailer debut for The Dark Knight Rises — the most anticipated trailer release in many months — and at the same time as Fox’s first look at Prometheus, the studio has also dropped the first footage of the sequel to Clash of the Titans.
Wrath of the Titans looks like it has gone all-out to include as much stuff as possible, but that may just be how the trailer is cut. Check it out below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Monday, December 5th, 2011 by Angie Han
2011 was the biggest year ever for sequels, with a record-breaking 27 scheduled to hit theaters. And while it’s too early to say exactly how many we can expect in 2012 and beyond, judging by posts like this one it seems safe to say that the trend won’t be dying down anytime soon. After the jump:
- Entertainment Weekly unveils the first look at Sam Worthington in Wrath of the Titans
- Sony registers domain names for the as-yet-unannounced Insidious 2
- Steven Spielberg’s longtime producer Kathleen Kennedy says Jurassic Park 4 is still looking for “a great script”
- Kennedy also says the sequel to The Adventures of Tintin could hit as early as Christmas 2014
- Bradley Cooper reveals that The Hangover Part III could start shooting in L.A. in September
Read More »