Earlier this week I joked that, after Sunday’s episode of Mad Men, I wouldn’t be surprised if John Slattery (who directed the episode) was picked to make his feature directing debut with Fifty Shades of Grey.
As it turns out, the Cannes market this week does bring news of Slattery making his first feature film, and it will almost certainly be a much better thing than Fifty Shades. (Which, jokes aside, I’m very glad he’s not making.)
The film is God’s Pocket, adapted from Pete Dexter‘s novel of the same name. Slattery co-wrote with Alex Metcalf, and the production has lined up a killer cast: Philip Seymour Hoffman will star (and produce), and Richard Jenkins, Christina Hendricks and John Turturro are co-starring. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 by Angie Han
AMC’s still playing coy with the return date for Breaking Bad‘s final season, even though star Aaron Paul seemingly let it slip earlier this month. But if they won’t say when Walt and Jesse will be back on the screen, at least they’ve finally revealed when the hard-working men and women of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce will. The cable network has just announced a spring bow for Mad Men, which is entering its sixth (and second-to-last) season. More details after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, December 7th, 2012 by Angie Han
Today’s TV bits is stuffed to the brim with new project announcements, casting notices, trailers, and much more. After the jump:
- Mike Judge and Scott Rudin team for Silicon Valley at HBO
- FX is adapting J. Michael Feldman‘s show Fairy Tale Theater
- Goonies co-stars Sean Astin and Corey Feldman reunite on TMNT
- The Newsroom casts someone to play a Romney campaign staffer
- Sean Bean replaces Brendan Fraser in TNT’s spy drama Legends
- The CW gives freshman drama series Cult a February premiere date
- Jon Hamm and John Slattery direct more episodes of Mad Men
- Is Doctor Who uniting all 11 Doctors for an anniversary special?
- How would you like to create a title sequence for A&E’s Bates Motel?
- Read an in-depth oral history of beloved cult classic Freaks & Geeks
- Hannah fails to get a job in a deleted scene from Season 1 of Girls
- Laura Dern has big plans in the Enlightened Season 2 teaser
- See a teaser for the Beyonce-directed documentary about Beyonce
- Check out a production video from the Game of Thrones set
- Showtime offers up a teaser for season 6 of Californication
Read More »
The idea behind In Our Nature couldn’t be more simple: a young couple (Zach Gilford from Friday Night Lights, and Jena Malone from Into the Wild) head upstate for a weekend retreat. At their destination, they run into an expected second couple: Gilford’s character’s father, played by John Slattery, who has weekend plans of his own with much younger girlfriend Gabrielle Union.
Things get a little awkward as the two couples circle one another, and as Gilford and Slattery start to work out their family issues. But the trailer also suggests that there are some really good moments as, for example, Malone and Union talk about their own respective romantic situations. Some of those scenes look like they have an appealingly unvarnished honesty. And then is that Slattery hitting on Malone? How weird. Roger Sterling advancing on a young woman? Never! Check out the trailer below. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 by Angie Han
Ron Swanson hasn’t always had the best luck with ladies, but maybe a visit from Xena herself — Lucy Lawless! — will turn things around. Also after the jump:
- Michael J. Fox returns to TV with show based on his own life
- Arrested Development gets new characters, including John Slattery
- Archer voicer H. Jon Benjamin will show his face on Suburgatory
- Torchwood‘s John Barrowman lands a recurring role on Arrow
- Happy Endings‘ cast gets disco-fabulous in a Season 3 photo
- See Shirley MacLaine in the new trailer for Downton Abbey
- Everyone’s got guns in the Season 3 trailer for Boardwalk Empire
Read More »
Posted on Friday, March 9th, 2012 by Angie Han
Halloween 3D gets cut and Beverly Hills Ninja 2 gets sued, but on a happier note, Joss Whedon has some really good ideas for a theoretical The Avengers 2. After the jump:
- Andrew Stanton and Michael Chabon are working on John Carter 2
- Defying tradition, Joss Whedon wants to go smaller for Avengers 2
- Speaking of which, John Slattery would not mind doing Avengers 2
- Beverly Hills Ninja 2 gets slammed with another lawsuit
- Dimension Films cuts Halloween 3D from the 2012 calendar
- [REC]3 Genesis clips hit the web
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, March 7th, 2012 by Angie Han
On Mad Men, John Slattery proved to be fantastic at letting down his loved ones; on Friday Night Lights, Zach Gilford demonstrated an equal talent for being disappointed in his. So it makes perfect sense that the pair would team up to play a father and son with a rocky relationship in In Our Nature, an indie drama slated to premiere later this week at the South By Southwest Film Festival.
Specifically, Gilford stars as a son who still harbors resentment over his parents’ split. When a scheduling mishap leads to Gilford and his girlfriend (Jena Malone) sharing the family vacation home with his dad and his girlfriend (Gabrielle Union), father and son are forced to come to terms with one another and with the women in their lives. Watch the trailer after the jump.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 by Angie Han
Thanks to those ugly contract negotiations between AMC and showrunner Matt Weiner, it’s been over a year since the last episode of Mad Men aired. But patient fans will be rewarded soon, as the fifth season of the stylish AMC drama is set to premiere just over a month from today. To remind you of that fact, AMC has released a series of teasers featuring key players Peggy (Elisabeth Moss), Joan (Christina Hendricks), Roger (John Slattery), Betty (January Jones), Pete (Vincent Kartheiser), and of course, Don (Jon Hamm). Watch them after the jump.
Read More »