Posted on Wednesday, January 13th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
Welcome back to The Force Awakens Bits, the regular feature that will exist until Star Wars: Episode 8 decides to murder Star Wars: The Force Awakens and steal its throne. In today’s edition:
- The amazingly awful “official” The Force Awakens music video.
- Star Wars‘ uphill battle at the Chinese box office.
- A certain set being recreated for Star Wars: Episode 8…
- The unfortunate end to your Poe/Finn fanfic.
- Samuel L. Jackson is still talking about Star Wars.
- That secret connection between The Force Awakens and Parks and Recreation.
- The editors of The Force Awakens speak up.
- A The Force Awakens comic that may inspire a tear or two.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Tuesday, January 5th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
There’s a chance that Star Wars: The Force Awakens will become the highest grossing film in the history of the American box office today. It still has $1.2 billion to go if it’s going to dethrone Avatar from the top of the international charts, but that that record is not beyond this movie, which has spent the past few weeks shattering expectations left and right. Remember a year ago when people wondered if Star Wars was still viable? Good times. Good times, indeed.
And soon enough, you’ll be able to recreate the entire movie frame-by-frame using only images released on the internet. You can get started with the gallery below, which contains 90 images, many of which haven’t made the rounds before and some of which have finally appeared free of watermarks.
Read More »
Posted on Monday, December 28th, 2015 by Jacob Hall
You’re not sick of reading about Star Wars: The Force Awakens quite yet, right? Okay. Good. We still have jobs. In today’s edition of The Force Awakens bits:
- A potential release date for the Force Awakens Blu-ray.
- The secret lurking in the First Order’s Star Destroyers.
- A minor grammatical error creates a new fan theory.
- John Williams talks about creating new music cues for new characters.
- A big batch of new concept art.
- Director Adam Green waxes poetic on Star Wars.
- John Boyega‘s Finn is now an expensive action figure.
- BB-8 ice cubes, anyone?
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2015 by Jacob Hall
Another day, another round-up of all the great Star Wars: The Force Awakens news you’ve missed because you’re too busy living a proper life with family and friends and such! In today’s edition:
- The Force Awakens continues to be a monster at the box office.
- Several gorgeous new posters show off the newest Star Wars heroes.
- You can now buy Poe Dameron’s jacket, if you can pull it off.
- John Williams chats about working with George Lucas and J.J. Abrams.
- Panavision built special lenses just for The Force Awakens.
- John Boyega challenges David Beckham to a lightsaber duel.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015 by Jacob Hall
Did you hear that a little movie called Star Wars: The Force Awakens is out in theaters? Yeah, some tiny indie thing. People really seem to like it, though. That’s why we’re regularly rounding up all of the little stories about it that you may have missed elsewhere. In today’s edition:
- The Simpsons predicted the current Star Wars vs Chipmunks showdown
- The Star Wars: Card Trader app gets awakened with new updates
- How one writer saw The Force Awakens completely spoiler-free
- Just how much money did Harrison Ford make to play Han Solo again?
- The origin stories of Kylo Ren and Finn
- Neil DeGrasse Tyson trolls Star Wars fans on Twitter
- The Onion reviews The Force Awakens
- Someone has successfully 3D-printed their own BB-8
- Kevin Smith chats about The Force Awakens for 40 minutes
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Monday, December 21st, 2015 by Angie Han
Star Wars: The Force Awakens did a bang-up job of bringing us back to the galaxy far, far away. It did justice to our favorite classic characters while introducing fresh faces to fall in love with, including Rey and Finn and Poe. So now that Lucasfilm has us invested in this whole new generation of heroes and villains, what’s next? Who’s coming back in Episode VIII? (Spoilers for The Force Awakens ahead.) Read More »
It’s been over ten years since George Lucas finished his prequel trilogy, and it’s no secret they left plenty of fans twiddling their thumbs in disappointment. Despite coming from the man behind Star Wars, the prequels didn’t feel like Star Wars movies — they were missing the spirit, emotion and adventure of the original trilogy. All these years later, can J.J. Abrams get this series back on the right track with Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
Well, we’re finally finding out tonight. After the jump, share your thoughts on Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the comments. Please note that spoilers are encouraged in the comments section for this post. If you have not seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens, we encourage you to return once you have.
Read More »
A couple weeks back, the cast and filmmakers behind the new Star Wars film Star Wars: The Force Awakens participated in a Power Of Storytelling Q & A at YouTube Space Los Angeles. Video of the entire 44 minute stage presentation is now online. YouTube executive Danielle Tiedt moderates the question and answer session, which includes Force Awakens director JJ Abrams, producer and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Gwendoline Christie.
The topics include the first stories that inspired them, how do you keep Star Wars fresh over almost four decades, how JJ Abrams became involved in the project, Abrams talks about how you have to look backwards to go forward, the pressure from the intense fanbase, building characters that are different than your own story, what characters inspire them, how did they plan the sound design of Force Awakens, advice for young female creators, managing the human elements in a Star Wars movie, will the Force Awakens capture new audiences like the original did, how do you balance telling an original story but based in a branded franchise, practical effects vs computer generated effects, and the struggles of performing in 125 degree heat in a stormtrooper outfit.
All that and more. The video is filled with some interesting and insightful answers into the inspirations and creative process behind these stars and filmmakers of The Force Awakens. Hit the jump to watch the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Power of Storytelling Q&A.
Read More »
Even people who aren’t Star Wars fans know the iconic fanfare that begins every single movie. The same can be said for the iconic Imperial March used to signify the arrival of the Empire and Darth Vader. And now thanks to The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, his house band The Roots, and the primary cast of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, we have an awesome a capella version of those iconic themes that’s presented like the opening credits of The Brady Bunch, but a hell of a lot cooler. Watch! Read More »