Last week, Edgar Wright suddenly departed from Marvel Studio’s big screen adaptation of Ant-Man, with an official statement citing “differences in their vision of the film” as reasons for the “amicable” split. Marvel Studios says they still plan to have Ant-Man in theaters for the announced July 17th 2015 release date, and Marvel has already begun a search for a new director. The movie will have to begin filming this Summer to make that date, so an announcement will likely come soon. So who should replace Edgar Wright to direct Ant-Man? I explore this question in the article below.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 by Angie Han
Joe Cornish made quite a splash in 2011 with his debut directorial effort Attack the Block. And he’s kept busy since, co-writing Ant-Man and The Adventures of Tintin with Edgar Wright. But it’s only now that he’s getting around to making a decision on his next directing gig.
Universal has tapped Cornish to direct Section 6, a Black List script about the formation of British intelligence agency MI6. Brit up-and-comer Jack O’Connell has been set to star since earlier this year. More details on the movie after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Monday, December 9th, 2013 by Angie Han
After directing two Star Trek movies, J.J. Abrams took himself out of the running to direct the third by accepting the Star Wars Episode VII gig instead. Ever since then, one of the big questions surrounding Star Trek 3 has been who who would take his place.
As of last month, Joe Cornish, director of Attack the Block and co-writer of Ant-Man, was said to be the favorite. However, a new report indicates that he’s no longer involved, either. Hit the jump for details.
Read More »
Briefly: Rumblings started a few months ago but now Deadline has made it official. Joe Cornish, director of Attack the Block and co-writer of Ant-Man, is now at the top of Paramount’s list to direct Star Trek 3. J.J. Abrams is producing, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are writing and they’re hopeful for a Summer 2014 shoot aimed at a potential Summer 2016 release. Rupert Wyatt and Jon M. Chu had previously be mentioned as possibilities. Nothing is official yet, so we’ll have more as it breaks. [Deadline]
When we first entered the world of Marvel’s Ant-Man, Edgar Wright was on stage at San Diego Comic-Con 2012 with awesome test footage. Then a 2015 release date was locked in, making it the first post Avengers 2 Marvel movie and the kick-off to Phase Three.
In the meantime the writer/director went off and finished the Cornetto Trilogy with The World’s End, which opens in the UK next week and in the US next month. Currently, Wright is promoting that film and confirmed the script for Ant-Man, which he wrote with Joe Cornish, is finally finished. It’s just waiting for him to complete his obligations with The World’s End, at which point he’ll move over to Marvel. Read More »
Marvel Studios has been fairly solid in its plan to release two films per year over the next few years. But there’s a movie that might help the outfit change that plan: Edgar Wright‘s Ant-Man, which made its very early debut last weekend at Comic Con via impressive test-footage Wright shot just a couple weeks back.
Marvel co-president Louis D’Esposito (director of the new short Item 47) talked in an interview about a couple different subjects, including the possibility of squeezing Ant-Man into the 2014 schedule, should Wright be able to jump right from his production The World’s End to the Marvel film. Read More »
Attack the Block director (and The Adventures of Tintin co-writer) Joe Cornish is one of a couple young filmmakers that Fox has latched on to. Another is Josh Trank, just set to direct Fantastic Four. At the same time as Fox announced that it would move forward with a Josh Trank-directed Fantastic Four, and that a new director is needed for Daredevil, there’s news that Cornish has been set to direct an adaptation of the graphic novel Rust: Visitor in the Field.
The original story is by Royden Lepp, with Aline Brosh McKenna scripting based on Lepp’s graphic novel. The story follows a family whose lives are changed when a jetpack-wearing boy crashes into their barn while being chased by a giant old war robot. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
After kicking total ass with his directorial debut Attack The Block, Joe Cornish found himself on seemingly every short list in Hollywood. Everyone wanted to work with the man who made Moses cool again and now he’s finally ready to trust.
Cornish has just committed to write and direct Snow Crash, based on the best-selling breakthrough novel by Neal Stephenson, which will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall at Paramount. Snow Crash takes place in a futuristic world run by corrupt corporations, where a deadly computer virus/street drug is circling across the world. A samurai/hacker/pizza delivery man named Hiro Protagonist (seriously) is tasked to stop it. Think Hackers and The Matrix with a dose of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Read more after the jump. Read More »