Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights is beginning to take shape. We’ve already told you about the Crimson Peak, Insidious, Halloween: Michael Myers Comes Home and This Is The End mazes. And this morning Universal announced that the annual Purge will commence at Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort as both parks will debut all-new “disturbingly-real experiences” inspired by Universal’s popular horror franchise film series created by writer and director James DeMonaco and produced by Blumhouse Productions and Platinum Dunes. They’ve also announced that last year’s AVP: Alien vs. Predator maze will return due to popular demand. Hit the jump to watch the teaser trailer for The Purge at Horror Nights and find out more.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Last week, Universal announced that Frank Grillo would return for The Purge 3. Grillo starred in the second film in the series, The Purge: Anarchy, which was the sequel to the surprise hit The Purge starring Ethan Hawke. Spoiler alert, but Hawke was not available for the sequel due to plot-related incidents in the first movie, although producer Jason Blum has said he would like to do a prequel which could revisit Hawke’s character before the incidents of The Purge.
I had an interview with Grillo on Sunday, August 9 for his DirecTV series Kingdom at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. He told me he was asked back before they had a script featuring his character, and then writer/director James DeMonaco wrote another story for Sergeant (Grillo). Read More »
Writer/director James DeMonaco won’t be the only one returning to purge again when The Purge 3 hits theaters next summer. The creator of the sleeper Blumhouse franchise made the first two films in the series and will make the third, and he’s bringing The Purge: Anarchy actor Frank Grillo with him. Read More »
The Purge came in 2013, and returned in 2014. The event won’t actually be an annual occasion — not in the real world, at least — as 2015 will be purge-free. But Universal has just set the third installment of the new horror/thriller franchise for a 2016 debut. So we have a Purge 3 release date, and those who’ve enjoyed the first two stories of a night in which all crime in America is legal, the better to cleanse society of “weak” or “undesirable” elements, have a date to circle on their calendar. Read More »
The first two Purge films cost $12 million combined and together they’ve grossed nearly $200 million. That’s what you call “good business,” so Universal and Blumhouse have made The Purge 3 official. This itself isn’t a surprise. What is a bit of a surprise is the news saying James DeMonaco, the writer and director of the first two films, is returning to fill the same roles on the third movie. In an industry where directors can move from six digit budgets directly into nine digit budgets, it’s awesome to see the same person continue on with a franchise. Read The Purge 3 news below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
The Purge: Anarchy, which acts as the sequel to last fall’s hit thriller, throws a stranger middle-class couple and a man out for revenge into the mayhem of the annual purge. That event, for those who missed the first film, is a single night per year in which all crime is legal, the better to weed out the “weaker” aspects of society. The Purge: Anarchy trailer gives vague hints about how those new characters come together, and shows off one particularly icky situation in which a parody of a charity auction turns into a night of murder for sale.
Check out the trailer below. Read More »
In The Purge: Anarchy, which comes from the writer/director of the 2013 sleeper hit film, a young couple is stranded in the middle of a city when their car breaks down. But this breakdown happens at the worst possible time: just hours before the annual Purge begins. The Purge — that 12-hour period when all crime is legal, as outlined in the original film — is really not when you want to be out on the streets, unless you’re wearing a mask or some face paint and carrying a hefty weapon, and preferably have a gang of friends along with similar gear.
The teaser below some of the couple’s effort to survive, but it doesn’t tell us whether this sequel will be more satisfying in the end than the first film was. Read More »
Briefly: One of the biggest surprise hits of 2013 was The Purge, James DeMonaco‘s small-budget thriller about a future where the U.S. legalizes all crime on one night each year. Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey starred. After a massive opening weekend, a sequel was quickly announced and now that sequel has a release date.
Universal Pictures is currently calling it “The next chapter of The Purge” and it’ll be released June 20, 2014. While no cast, returning or otherwise, has been announced, DeMonaco will return to write and direct along with producers Jason Blum, Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and others.
Posted on Wednesday, November 6th, 2013 by Angie Han
Universal put a second The Purge film in motion almost the moment the first one opened, because that’s the kind of thing a studio does when a $3 million horror flick rakes in ten times that on opening weekend alone. But progress has been pretty quiet since then, until now.
Original writer/director James DeMonaco is set to return for the sequel, which is once again set up at Universal with Jason Blum‘s Blumhouse Productions and Michael Bay‘s Platinum Dunes producing. Hit the jump for more details on the new film.
Read More »