Posted on Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Angie Han
Lots of fun odds and ends in today’s Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Early posters for A Good Day to Die Hard and Percy Jackson hit the Licensing Expo
- Men in Black 3 concept art reveals a (slightly) alternate design for the monowheels
- Charlize Theron‘s role in Mad Max: Fury Road apparently requires her to have really short hair
- A handful of new stills show Bella and Edward’s kid in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is in the process of being written, says producer Alex Kurtzman
- Will Smith is iffy on doing on I Am Legend 2 because he doesn’t want to be “the sequel guy”
- Did you know there was almost a sequel to E.T.? Steven Spielberg explains why it didn’t happen.
Read More »
The rumors we reported back in August regarding a sequel to I Am Legend have apparently moved one step closer to the big screen. According to ShockTillYouDrop, author Richard Matheson just signed off sequel rights to his 1957 novel to Warner Bros.
Meanwhile, the film’s screenwriter, Mark Protosevich, continues to express his involvement with a follow-up set a decade in the future. Whether Will Smith will return is still under wraps, though the actor has expressed strong reluctance to star in sequels in recent interviews. If you’ve seen the somber smash hit, wouldn’t a sequel undermine the movie’s entire message and title, sort of like how the film version undermined the book’s big reveal? Um, I think so.
With the film quickly ascending up the ladder to reside as the sixth biggest domestic film of 2007 (and maybe higher), and raking it in internationally, can we officially give some credit to the mannequins? They were excellent.
I Am Legend screenwriter Mark Protosevich is already talking about a potential sequel. The LA Times writes:
“There is no word yet on how Protosevich plans to extend the story of lone military scientist Robert Neville’s struggle to survive against a mutant populace. But it’s a good bet that he’s setting it at least 10 years in the future.”
Of course, a sequel all depends on the box office success of the first film. I Am Legend is a modern day adaptation of the classic 1954 science fiction novel by Richard Matheson. Will Smith stars as Robert Neville, a former scientist who is the last uninfected human in Manhattan, if not the world. Warner Bros has been developing the project since 1994. At one point Ridley Scott was attached to direct while Arnold Schwarzenegger was in talks to star. I Am Legend hits theaters on December 14, 2007.