Something about this pre-holiday week has set sequel news on fire, and there are news bites about sequels of just about every possible variation. In this edition of sequel bits:
- Oops, CBS reported a Big Lebowski sequel that does not, and will not exist
- The Expendables 2 gets a tie-in video game
- Think Like a Man gets a follow-up movie
- The Bourne Legacy producer hopes the next installment might bring together Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner
- Todd Phillips says the third Hangover is really the last
- Peter Berg doesn’t rule out the possibility of Hancock 2 just yet.
Read More »
When it comes to news about sequels, you really can’t get more varied than the news you’re about to read in this column. We’ve got documentary sequel news, news on a sequel to a sequel that isn’t even out yet, news on a sequel that will likely never happen, news on a sequel to a movie that shouldn’t have a sequel and more. After the jump read about:
- Writers have been tapped to write The Smurfs 3 well over a year before The Smurfs 2 hits theaters.
- Will Smith would be interested in doing Hancock 2, but there’s no active development.
- Get your first look at the crew of Star Trek 2 as Lego characters.
- The latest installment in Michael Apted‘s Up series, 56 Up, premieres May 14.
- A new Men in Black 3 featurette focuses on the time-twisting story.
- The plot synopsis for Doctor Sleep, Stephen King‘s sequel to The Shining, is now online.
- Warner Bros. is reportedly developing a sequel to Contagion.
A poster, some behind-the-scenes footage, and a rather intriguing bit of potential casting lurk in this edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- A rumor says David Tennant wants to do Fast Six
- Peter Berg is still really excited to do Hancock 2
- Kevin Feige teases a change of pace for Captain America 2
- Here’s what goes on behind the scenes of Men in Black 3
- TRON: Uprising poster promises to re-program the future
Read More »
When will you see a new trailer for The Avengers? Is there a way to hear some dialogue from the movie now? Want to hear Michael Shannon talk as General Zod from Man of Steel? What did Black Widow do between Iron Man 2 and The Avengers? Does Peter Berg think Hancock 2 will happen? Will Arrow and Smallville take place in the same world? And where can you get the latest look at the villains in The Avengers? Read about all of this and more in today’s Superhero Bits. Read More »
Posted on Thursday, February 16th, 2012 by Angie Han
Whatever your genre of choice — action, comedy, or horror — we’ve got sequel news for you today. After the jump:
- Peter Berg teases one of “40 different storylines” he’s considering for Hancock 2
- Seth Rogen doesn’t know if Pineapple Express 2 will happen, but hey, it still might
- Steve Coogan offers up a bit of info on the upcoming second season (and possible sequel?) to The Trip
- Comic book artist and Altitude helmer Kaare Andrews is tapped for a Cabin Fever prequel
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, January 19th, 2012 by Angie Han
The summer of ’08 was a pretty great one for superheroes, with Iron Man kicking off the blockbuster season and The Dark Knight and The Incredible Hulk following months after. One superpowered film that proved not up to par that season, however, was Peter Berg’s Hancock. Starring Will Smith as a disgraced vigilante superhero, the movie seemed at first like a breath of fresh air, but ultimately left viewers disappointed thanks to a poorly conceived, poorly executed plot twist and an oddly uneven tone. Still, it was a box office success, so it wasn’t long before rumors began floating around of a Hancock 2.
Fast-forward three and a half years, and not only are we barely any closer to getting a second Hancock, I’d wager that most moviegoers have forgotten about the first Hancock altogether. Berg and Smith haven’t, though, and Berg insists that the sequel is still in the works — it’s just a matter of getting everyone’s schedules to line up properly. Read more after the jump.
Read More »
Not long ago we heard that a sequel to Hancock, the goofy, sometime fun, sometimes just dumb superhero flick starring Will Smith, was almost certainly a go. Questions lingered, however, primarily with respect to the cast. Would Will Smith return? What about Charlize Theron? According to director Peter Berg, the answer to both questions is yes. Read More »
Well, it’s Hollywood, so hiring writers doesn’t mean by a long shot that the movie is actually going to happen. But just a week after Peter Berg was widely quoted talking about possible angles for a Hancock sequel, Columbia has hired Adam Fierro and Glen Mazzara to write Hancock 2.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Did you enjoy Hancock? Too bad, Will Smith says a sequel is “definitely” happening, telling JoBlo that there are a lot of unexplored characters in the Hancock universe that would be ripe for a sequel. I’m actually one of the few who liked Hancock, or at least the first half of it. But I have absolutely no interest in a sequel. Unfortunately, Hancock grossed over $623 million worldwide, which solidifies the idea to movie studio executives. But the real question is: Will moviegoers pay for a second Hancock film? Answer: Yes, because all Will Smith films make huge bank.