By and large, no one liked G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra very much, and so you can’t blame Paramount for thinking it was a good idea to craft a sequel with as few faces as possible from the original movie. And when that sequel was set in motion last year, no one would have known that thanks to Haywire, 21 Jump Street and The Vow, audiences would warm to and quickly want a lot more of Channing Tatum. The actor could have just as easily hit summer 2012 as the new Ryan Reynolds.
But things worked out so that Tatum’s popularity is at an all-time high, and Paramount has G.I. Joe: Retaliation, which… well, he’s not in the movie very much. Oops.
So while the reports of a release date delay for Retaliation were oriented around the fact that the film would be converted to 3D, the real factor may be that those reshoots we mentioned recently will actually be done to keep Tatum in the movie a lot longer. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 by Angie Han
No, it wasn’t just you — Men in Black 3, entertaining as it was, made no sense at all. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that starting the shoot without a completed sequel did not help. Also after the jump:
- Robert Rodriguez talks up Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- G.I. Joe toys pulled from shelves after Retaliation shifts release date
- Nick Frost talks possible Snow White and the Huntsman sequels
- Don’t worry, Robert Pattinson has not been offered Catching Fire
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, May 24th, 2012 by Angie Han
Now that G.I. Joe: Retaliation is no longer opening next month, thanks to a late-in-the-game decision to post-convert it to 3D, we’ve got another ten months to keep talking about it. After the jump, read director Jon Chu‘s earlier comments on the decision to shoot in 2D. Also:
- Get a look at Shaquille O’Neal on the Grown Ups 2 set
- Passion of the Christ sorta-prequel Mary Mother of Christ gets a director
- Star Trek 2 is heading to Iceland for second unit shooting
- Jonathan Frakes talks about his visit to the Star Trek set
- Uncharted actor Nolan North will be in Trek 2, but chess grandmaster Magnus Carlsen won’t
Read More »
The most surprising news yesterday was that Paramount has pushed G.I. Joe: Retaliation back from a June 29 release this year to March 29 2013, to allow time to post-convert the film to 3D. There was plenty of spin applied to the news, but the general supposition is that the film isn’t particularly good, and Paramount wants a less competitive release date as well as time to tweak the film.
Now it seems like there’s more than a post-conversion going on, as one of the film’s stars suggests that there are new scenes being crafted for the delayed release. Read More »
Things were going so well for G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Fans were responding really well to the trailers, director Jon Chu was talking up how it’s the movie he really wanted to see as a G.I. Joe fan, the release date was approaching and everyone was excited.
Paramount has now decided to forgo that positive buzz and bump the film back nine months, from June 29 to March 29, so it can be converted to 3D. We weight the positives and negatives after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Monday, May 14th, 2012 by Angie Han
Today’s Sequel Bits features all kinds, from Depression-era gangsters to noirish femme fatales to drunken school bus drivers. After the jump:
- Nick Swardson and Cheri Oteri board Grown-Ups 2
- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For gets its first teaser poster
- A new G.I. Joe: Retaliation image shows Cobra Commander
- Seth Grahame-Smith is a little intimidated by Beetlejuice 2
- Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz talk Tron: Uprising
- Paramount is letting a Godfather (book) prequel go forward
- Jon Favreau likes where Shane Black‘s Iron Man 3 is headed
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 by Angie Han
Lots to see in today’s Sequel Bits, including a DVD featurette, a blooper reel, a TV spot, posters, and a (not at all revealing) set photo. After the jump:
- Another new TV spot debuts for Men in Black 3
- Gary Busey goes nuts in Piranha 3DD outtakes
- Watch a featurette from the Underworld: Awakening DVD
- Simon Pegg and Zachary Quinto tweet wrapping Star Trek 2
- Check out the Korean G.I. Joe: Retaliation posters
- Donnie Yen is set to return for Ip Man 3D
- Who wants to be an extra on Atlas Shrugged Part 2?
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 by Angie Han
Because nothing works up the appetite quite like traveling back in time and fighting aliens, Baskin-Robbins is introducing a limited-edition line of Men in Black 3-inspired menu items. Also after the jump:
- Will Scary Movie 5 be a Black Swan spoof?
- Piranha 3DD soundtrack listing revealed
- Anchorman 2 teaser to debut before The Dictator?
- Vin Diesel drops another Riddick photo
- Expendables 2, G.I. Joe: Retaliation get new posters
Read More »