In today’s Theme Park Bits:
- New footage from the Shanghai Disneyland version of Peter Pan’s Flight.
- An deep dive into the technology behind Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle For the Sunken Treasure.
- A new look at Shanghai Disneyland’s Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue.
- The first photos from inside Epcot’s Frozen Ever After.
- Details on Universal’s refurbished Incredible Hulk Coaster.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, May 4th, 2016 by Angie Han
Disney’s heavy-hitting franchises are slowly getting more diverse. The Force Awakens has more female and non-white characters in speaking roles than the first three Star Wars movies combined. Captain America: Civil War introduces a new black superhero this weekend (and he’s getting his own movie in 2018). This fall’s Moana introduces Disney’s first Polynesian princess. And so on. But even as these universes gradually open up to women and people of color, they’ve continued to leave LGBT people out in the cold. And fans and filmmakers alike would like to see that change.
Recently, GLAAD called upon the studio to include LGBT characters in the Star Wars universe. Now the Frozen faithful are campaigning on social media to “#GiveElsaAGirlfriend” in the sequel, while Civil War directors Anthony and Joe Russo field questions about when the Marvel Cinematic Universe will get its first major gay character. Read More »
Posted on Friday, April 1st, 2016 by Angie Han
Unlike their Star Wars or Marvel movies, Disney’s animated features don’t fit into a single shared universe. They do, however, very often reference each other, via sneaky little Easter eggs. Even their latest, Zootopia, gets in on the fun, despite taking place in a universe where human beings don’t actually exist. We told you about one of Zootopia‘s many Easter eggs back before the film even hit theaters, and now that it’s actually out, several more have been discovered. Below, check out some of the Zootopia Easter eggs you might have missed. Read More »
The animated musical Frozen was a massive runaway hit for Walt Disney Animation back in 2013, making a sequel to the movie a forgone conclusion. However, Disney dragged their feet a bit when it came to confirming plans for Frozen 2, and it wasn’t until just over a year ago that the project was officially announced. We still don’t have a release date for Frozen 2, but the good news is star Kristen Bell has revealed that production is slated to begin next month. Read More »
Posted on Friday, February 19th, 2016 by Angie Han
Disney Animation features don’t officially share a single universe, even if we get the occasional wackadoodle theory explaining how they could. But the animators do love sneaking in references to previous Disney films. Like the time Tangled‘s Rapunzel dropped by Frozen‘s Arendelle, or the time Wreck-It Ralph‘s Saitine made an appearance in Big Hero 6.
Usually, these little details slip out after the movie’s actually opened, as fans pore over the imagery and share what they’ve seen. But in the case of Zootopia, a new batch of images has already revealed one adorable Frozen Easter egg. Find out where — and see a whole bunch of new Zootopia stills, after the jump. Read More »
When it comes to a huge hit like Frozen, it should come as no surprise that Disney just won’t let it go (I know, I’m sorry). The House of Mouse has already delivered an animated short called Frozen Fever that played with Cinderella last year and there’s already a Frozen 2 in the works, but without a release date to look forward to yet. But that’s not all Disney has planned for Frozen.
Disney has officially announced that a Broadway adaptation of Frozen is in the works, for an expected opening in the spring of 2018. In addition, an animated holiday special is in development for release in 2017. Find out more about the Frozen Broadway adaptation and holiday special below. Read More »
In the latest edition of Theme Park Bits, we take a look at the following:
- Universal Studios Japan announces new Jurassic Park ride
- Find out when Star Wars Season of the Force will take place in Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando
- See a preview of Pixar’s Good Dinosaur in Disneyland and Walt Disney World
- More information about the Frozen stage production coming to Disney California Adventure
- Get a first look at the Motiongate theme park coming to Dubai in 2016
- Universal Orlando follows Disney’s lead and raises Annual Pass and parking prices
- Comcast is buying 51% stake in Universal Studios Japan
All this and more, hit the jump to get started.
Read More »
Good and bad news for Disneyland fans:
- We’ll start off with the good news — a new stage production based on the hit Walt Disney Animation Studios film Frozen will be coming to Disney California Adventure in Disneyland Resort. Fans of Frozen have proven they can’t get enough of Anna, Elsa and the whole gang, so Disney is giving fans something bigger and better than the other Frozen park offerings.
- The bad news is that it will be replacing the wonderful Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular stage show which has been playing in the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure park since 2003.
Find out more details about the Disneyland Frozen musical after the jump.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Angie Han
Disney’s animated films aren’t really a “shared universe” the way Disney’s Marvel films are, but that hasn’t stopped fans from making connections between them all the same. One popular theory posits Tarzan is actually the younger brother of Elsa and Anna from Frozen, born after the King and Queen of Arendelle embark on their ill-fated trip.
It’s a cute idea, but could it possibly be true? In a new interview, Chris Buck — who co-directed both Frozen and Tarzan — addresses the Frozen Tarzan theory, and adds another new wrinkle to consider. Read his comments on the Frozen Tarzan theory after the jump. Read More »
Walt Disney Studios has released a list of their presentation and show floor line-up, which will include exclusive looks at its upcoming projects from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm at D23 EXPO 2015, which will take place August 14th-16th 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center. The highlights include a Friday presentation hosted by John Lasseter on the upcoming films from Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, a saturday morning presentation hosted by Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn called “Worlds, Galaxies, and Universes: Live Action at The Walt Disney Studios” which yes will include Star Wars, Frozen FANdemonium: A Musical Celebration! and much more. Read the full D23 Expo 2015 press release after the jump.
Read More »