Posted on Wednesday, May 4th, 2016 by Angie Han
Disney’s heavy-hitting franchises are slowly getting more diverse. The Force Awakens has more female and non-white characters in speaking roles than the first three Star Wars movies combined. Captain America: Civil War introduces a new black superhero this weekend (and he’s getting his own movie in 2018). This fall’s Moana introduces Disney’s first Polynesian princess. And so on. But even as these universes gradually open up to women and people of color, they’ve continued to leave LGBT people out in the cold. And fans and filmmakers alike would like to see that change.
Recently, GLAAD called upon the studio to include LGBT characters in the Star Wars universe. Now the Frozen faithful are campaigning on social media to “#GiveElsaAGirlfriend” in the sequel, while Civil War directors Anthony and Joe Russo field questions about when the Marvel Cinematic Universe will get its first major gay character. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
In today’s edition of Sequel Bits:
- Kristen Bell is getting ready to record Frozen 2.
- A familiar face is returning for Kingsman 2.
- Don’t expect to see Space Jam 2 getting made soon.
- Jarhead 3 is a movie that actually exists, believe it or not.
Read More »
The animated musical Frozen was a massive runaway hit for Walt Disney Animation back in 2013, making a sequel to the movie a forgone conclusion. However, Disney dragged their feet a bit when it came to confirming plans for Frozen 2, and it wasn’t until just over a year ago that the project was officially announced. We still don’t have a release date for Frozen 2, but the good news is star Kristen Bell has revealed that production is slated to begin next month. Read More »
Posted on Thursday, August 13th, 2015 by Angie Han
Pretty much the moment Frozen opened in 2013, fans began wondering about a sequel. And earlier this year, Disney finally announced development on Frozen 2. Now the question is what we’ll see in the follow-up, and while it’ll be some time before we get all the answers, directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee have started dropping a few hints.
Among other things, they suggest we’ll see a different side of Elsa, who underwent quite an intense emotional arc in the first Frozen. Get the Frozen 2 details after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by Angie Han
We’ve got more sequel bits than you can shake a stick at. After the jump:
- Syfy’s Lavalantula sequel gets a brilliantly bad title
- Kung Pow 2 is happening, says director Steve Oedekerk
- The Transporter Refueled drives into IMAX theaters this fall
- Ride Along 2 gets a PG-13 rating from the MPAA
- Neighbors 2 and Sinister 2 get release date changes
- Simon Pegg has an issue with the Mission: Impossible marketing
- Tom Cruise is adamant Top Gun 2 won’t be filled with CG jets
- Chris McQuarrie explains why he’s not doing Jack Reacher 2
- Josh Gad gives a (jokey) tease about the Frozen 2 plot
- Charlie Hunnam hopes Pacific Rim 2 is more character-driven
- Idris Elba will be “interesting” and “complex” in Star Trek 3
- Hotel Transylvania 2 unveils a new travel promo
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
We’ve got set photos, release dates and cast announcements. Lots of good stuff in this edition of Sequel Bits. Below, read about the following:
- It Follows star Maika Monroe joins Independence Day 2.
- Michael Bay posts images of several vehicles from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2.
- Josh Gad explains how John Lasseter told him about Frozen 2.
- Kevin Smith talks the number of characters and influences for Mallrats 2.
- Kung Fu Panda 3 has been moved up two months.
- Keanu Reeves says Bill and Ted 3 is closer than ever.
- Pee-Wee’s Big Holiday is on Instagram.
- See Penelope Cruz in Zoolander 2.
- The Super Troopers 2 IndieGoGo campaign has ended.
Read More »
The same Disney shareholder’s call that brought us news of a proper Star Wars sequel release date and the title of the first spin-off has also delivered on the Disney Animation front. Frozen 2 was announced during the call, with Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee returning to develop the film, and Josh Gad confirmed to reprise the role of Olaf. Read More »
Frozen, Disney’s biggest hit of all time, is getting a bunch of follow ups. It’s been reimagined on Once Upon a Time. It’ll get an eventual Broadway adaptation. And next weekend, you can see the characters in a brand new short film, Frozen Fever. That short was directed by Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck, who also helmed the feature. In a new interview they admit while they’ve continually read online rumors about a feature film sequel Frozen 2, that’s not actually a thing just yet. Read the exact Frozen 2 movie quotes below. Read More »
Posted on Monday, December 1st, 2014 by Angie Han
Disney has so far resisted the temptation to make a Frozen sequel — quite a feat, really, considering the icy adventure is the highest-grossing animated movie of all time. But it seems they may only be able to hold out for so long.
Idina Menzel, who voiced Elsa, has stated that a Frozen 2 is “in the works” and that she hopes to return. Read the Idina Menzel Frozen sequel comments after the jump.
Read More »