Few Friday the 13th fans will forget the 2013 rumor that producers were exploring a found footage angle for Jason’s next big screen massacre. The news immediately struck a nerve of the fan community with most being very vocal against the idea. “Please no,” “Ugh, F*** off” “Found footage idea sucks” and “This sounds like dogs***” are just four of the comments on our article about the rumor. Since then, we’ve only heard a few key updates on the film. Director David Bruckner and writer Nick Antosca are on board, with the film moving towards a Summer 2016 release date.
Now, producer Brad Fuller admitted the negative fan reaction to the found footage idea helped them discard that version of the film. He says their current take will be more of what fans want. Read the latest on the Friday the 13th sequel below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Today is Friday the 13th and you’re probably seen images of Jason Voorhees, the killer at the center of the crazy successful Friday the 13th franchise, all over social media. The last film in the series was released in 2009 and a sequel has been in works since then. It was originally supposed to come out early this year, and is now set for May 13, 2016.
However, in that time we’ve heard very little concrete information on the film. We know Paramount will distribute. We know Platinum Dunes will produce and David Bruckner will direct. After that, the speculation has run rampant: will the next Friday the 13th sequel will once again reboot the franchise? Will it be found footage film? How will it use Jason?
Brad Fuller, one of the heads of Platinum Dunes, sat down with Esquire Magazine to offer some big updates on the franchise. The biggest being an interesting potential twist for the story, but also the assertion that it won’t be found-footage. (Which will hopefully put that one rumor to bed for good.) Read the Friday the 13th sequel update below. Read More »
There are some big updates on some really big sequel in this edition of Sequel Bits. Below, read about the following.
- Paul Feig says his Ghostbusters reboot will take place in New York and include winks to the original.
- Don’t fret, Ian Ziering and Tara Reid are returning for Sharknado 3.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 starts filming in April.
- There’s still no script for latest Friday the 13th sequel.
- See a new poster for Hot Tub Time Machine 2.
- Eddie Murphy sounds less than optimistic about Beverly Hills Cop 4.
- See an image of Roland Emmerich location scouting for Independence Day 2.
- New images of the evil D-Rex from Jurassic World have hit the web.
Read More »
When the reboot of Friday the 13th made $40 million on its opening weekend in 2009, a sequel seemed inevitable. The film only cost $20 million and the franchise has been known to spit out a follow-up or ten. But four years have passed and there’s been very little movement. In 2010, the producers all but declared the sequel dead. Then, this past Summer, Paramount regained full rights to the film on the condition a sequel get made in the next five years. So the clock is ticking.
Now, horror journalist Ryan Turek of Shock Till You Drop reports producers are indeed fielding pitches from writers for a new Friday the 13th. The catch is, they’re asking for a “found footage” take on the material. Read More »
Almost like a kid trading baseball cards, Warner Bros. reportedly swapped Jason Voorhees and Eric Cartman for Christopher Nolan. Nolan’s next film, Interstellar, is set up at Paramount Pictures and will be co-produced by Warner Bros. Some insiders wondered how the rival studios came to an agreement over this massive movie and now, The Hollywood Reporter has the answer. Warner Bros. had to relinquish partial rights they held to a new Friday the 13th sequel, as well as a second South Park movie, to Paramount in order to get a piece of Nolan’s November 2014 sci-fi film.
The one catch is Paramount would have to make those sequels in the next five years or Warners gets their stake back. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
When I was on the set of Samuel Bayer’s remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street, producers Andrew Form and Bradley Fuller were so very sure that a sequel to Friday the 13th would be their next project. That no longer seems to be the case.
Read More »