Update: Two weeks after this news first broke, Variety reports that Foley has been officially offered the job directing Fifty Shades Darker. Talks are reportedly beginning now. Whether this will be a two-fer deal, with Foley also set to direct the third film, remains to be seen. Original story follows.
Even as Fifty Shades of Grey was being released to theaters this past February, we knew that director Sam Taylor-Johnson wasn’t likely to be back to direct the adaptation of the sequel novel, Fifty Shades Darker. There was talk of a power play on the part of novel author E.L. James, who reportedly wanted to write the sequel script herself, the better to keep it close to the novel. The screenwriting gig for the sequel went to Niall Leonard, who is married to James, but the director’s chair for the sequel has remained open.
Now James Foley (House of Cards, Fear, Glengarry Glen Ross) has turned up as the likely Fifty Shades sequel director.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
In recent years, there’s been a lot of backlash against CGI visual effects as movie studios rely on them more and more instead of practical set pieces, models and make-up effects (mostly because there’s some pretty terrible visual effects out there). We’ve already highlighted a thoughtful look at how CGI effects are actually great when not relied upon too heavily and blend seamlessly with practical filmmaking techniques.
But sometimes CGI special effects are just downright unnecessary and baffling, and the folks at Dorkly have assembled a short list of five of the most unnecessary CGI special effects, but beware of some brief NSFW nudity. Somehow one of the Star Wars prequels only appeared on the list once. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 by Angie Han
Today we have updates on a sequel that definitely isn’t happening, and several more that definitely are. After the jump:
- Olivia Wilde responds to Tron 3 cancellation
- TMNT2 will give away a role for charity
- The 50 Shades stars aren’t set for a spinoff
- Elisha Cuthbert joins the Goon sequel
- Jurassic World gets biggest IMAX release ever
- See Peeta and Gale in new Mockingjay pics
- Peek behind the scenes of Barbershop 3
- ATL star confirms a sequel is in the works
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, May 5th, 2015 by Angie Han
For their 100th episode, the Honest Trailers gang has decided to tackle a movie that’s simply begging to be punished: Fifty Shades of Grey. Based on an erotic novel that was famously conceived as a piece of Twilight fan-fiction, Fifty Shades of Grey is, as the Honest Trailer narrator puts it, “the film adaptation that ended up leaving millions of people around the world asking, ‘Is that it?'”
Watch the Fifty Shades of Grey Honest Trailer after the jump. Read More »
Since even before the release of Fifty Shades of Grey, there was conflict evident between director Sam Taylor-Johnson and the novel’s author E.J. James. Once the film was released, despite its success, that conflict became one of the defining conversations about the movie. Sam Taylor-Johnson quickly seemed like she was distancing herself from the series in general, and specifically that she was increasingly less interested in directing the sequel.
Now the word is out: Sam Taylor-Johnson has definitively removed herself from the series, so Fifty Shades Darker needs a new director. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, March 11th, 2015 by Angie Han
Whether you’re into boxing, singing rodents, or BDSM, there’s something in here for you. After the jump:
- Michael B. Jordan gets into fighting shape for Creed
- The Alvin and the Chipmunks 4 cast continues to grow
- The Sharknado labor strike rains down upon DC
- Fifty Shades stars want bigger paychecks for the sequel
- Spectre adds Stephanie Sigman as another Bond girl
- A knife attack and an injury threaten Pirates 5
- Nick Hornby shares his thoughts on a High Fidelity sequel
- Neill Blomkamp has more stuff to say about Alien
- Bradley Cooper did one day on the Wet Hot prequel
Read More »
Posted on Saturday, February 21st, 2015 by David Chen
David, Devindra, and Jeff are joined by Angie Han to discuss Fifty Shades of Grey and also uncover what exactly didn’t sit right about Kingsman. Be sure to check out Angie’s great review of the film, Dave’s thoughts on things Christian Grey does that’d be creepy if he did them, why Fifty Shades is important, Josh Lewis’s review of Kingsman, and Matt Vaughn’s interview with EW.
You can always e-mail us at slashfilmcast(AT)gmail(DOT)com, or call and leave a voicemail at 781-583-1993. Also, like us on Facebook!
Read More »
Fifty Shades of Grey is exactly the box-office powerhouse Universal and Focus hoped it might be, with a $300m global take so far, and few signs of slowing down as the film goes into its second weekend. (That’s despite a low CinemaScore of C+, which would generally suggest a huge drop-off is on the way.)
That isn’t making a green light for the proposed Fifty Shades of Grey sequel, Fifty Shades Darker, come any faster. We’ve heard suggestions that Sam Taylor-Johnson, who directed the first film, won’t be back for the second. And now, as original author E.L. James jockeys for more control over the film version of her creation, screenwriter Kelly Marcel may be out as well, with James taking over screenwriting duties. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, February 18th, 2015 by Angie Han
After the jump:
- Sam Taylor-Johnson might not do more Fifty Shades
- Tony Hale gets sucked into Alvin and the Chipmunks 4
- Cassie Scerbo will be terrorized by Sharknado again
- Zoolander 2 is jetting off to Rome this spring
- The Walking Dead spinoff pilot finishes shooting
- AMC is skeptical about the Crouching Dragon sequel
- See some new footage in a Furious 7 music video
Read More »