While Edgar Wright is set to make the relatively mysterious Baby Driver as his next film, the director has also set up another project to develop as a potential Baby Driver follow-up. Wright has come on board Grasshopper Jungle, which will adapt the YA novel by Andrew Smith.
The book centers on a teenage kid who somehow conjures up a plague that sets an army of six-foot-tall praying mantises on his town. Actually, make that hungry, horny six-foot tall praying mantises. Which, as you can imagine, might be a problem. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Even as we’re still talking about the backstory that led to Edgar Wright‘s abrupt departure from Marvel’s Ant-Man, it seems that Wright is pushing forward towards his next film. Reportedly, that project is likely to be Baby Driver, an original script from Wright that the director originally started talking about back in 2009. Back then, he called it “not an adaptation or anything, or a sequel to anything else.” After the Ant-Man kerfuffle, that probably seems incredibly appealing. Read More »
After working on Ant-Man for the better part of a decade, director Edgar Wright left the project earlier this summer. Eventually, he was replaced by Peyton Reed and the Marvel film is still on schedule for a July 2015 release. No one has come forward and flat-out said why Wright parted ways with Marvel and no one is likely to do so for some time. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, however, is currently doing press for Guardians of the Galaxy and said the split was amicable, and took place because of “creative differences.” He’s also said the film will retain the DNA both Wright and co-writer Joe Cornish created.
But what exactly does that mean? We know Marvel’s brought in multiple screenwriters to rewrite the script, and there had also been rumblings Wright storyboarded the whole film. Speaking with /Film, Feige admitted some of Wright’s visuals will end up in the movie. Read the full quote about the Edgar Wright Ant Man visuals below. Read More »
Posted on Friday, July 18th, 2014 by Angie Han
As soon as it was revealed that Edgar Wright was leaving Ant-Man, word began to spread that his take had been too out there for Marvel Studios. There were reports of script rewrites and nervous execs, and it wasn’t tough to imagine Wright’s idiosyncratic style clashing with Marvel’s controlled vision.
But that wasn’t really the case, according to Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige. “It would have to be really out there to be too out there for us,” he insisted. Instead, he blames personality issues and an out-of-sync vision for the split. Hit the jump to read his comments.
Read More »
Lots has happened at Marvel Studios since the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Plenty of news has leaked about Avengers: Age of Ultron and we’ve seen more and more about Guardians of the Galaxy. But the two biggest pieces of news were Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man and Scott Derrickson boarding Doctor Strange. Unfortunately, since the studio is between films, we haven’t heard what the president of the studio, Kevin Feige, had to say about any of it. Until now.
Feige was at CineEurope earlier this week and finally addressed the Edgar Wright Ant-Man controversy (Peyton Reed is now directing), the hiring of Derrickson, production on Doctor Strange, and said they have some ideas for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Read Feige’s quotes below. Read More »
A week has passed since the upsetting bombshell news that Edgar Wright had left Marvel’s Ant-Man. In that time, speculation and fact have blurred as fans tried to figure out how one of the most successful companies in Hollywood could suddenly go in a different direction from the talented, exciting director who had been working on the film for years.
Eventually, the discussion turned to Wright’s replacement. Though rumors and speculation have also been flying all week, it seems three men are at the top of Marvel’s list. They are Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer. Read more about the potential Ant Man directors below.
Update: The Wrap claims that Rawson Thurber is now the first choice to direct Ant-Man. The site has no confirmation, and Marvel isn’t commenting, so we’ll have to wait for more official info.
Update 2, June 3: Days after the drama that saw Adam McKay go into talks and then abruptly back out, there’s a report that Rawson Thurber has also passed on the movie. So out of the original shortlist of three replacement directors for Edgar Wright is down to one, Ruben Fleischer, and Ant-Man has become the movie no one seems to want to touch.
The original story follows.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, May 29th, 2014 by Angie Han
Ant-Man had a director locked in since before the Marvel Cinematic Universe was even a thing. But now that said director (Edgar Wright) has gone, speculation is running rampant about who might take over at the helm.
Today, the rumor mill has its sights on Guardians of the Galaxy helmer James Gunn. Not surprisingly, Gunn quickly downplayed the rumors. Get all the latest dirt after the jump.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Last week, Edgar Wright suddenly departed from Marvel Studio’s big screen adaptation of Ant-Man, with an official statement citing “differences in their vision of the film” as reasons for the “amicable” split. Marvel Studios says they still plan to have Ant-Man in theaters for the announced July 17th 2015 release date, and Marvel has already begun a search for a new director. The movie will have to begin filming this Summer to make that date, so an announcement will likely come soon. So who should replace Edgar Wright to direct Ant-Man? I explore this question in the article below.
Read More »