Powers will be the first-ever TV series from the PlayStation Network, but so far it seems like the company knows what it’s doing. After picking up Susan Heyward as its female lead last month, the comic book adaptation has just added three intriguing new cast members: Eddie Izzard, Noah Taylor, and Olesya Rulin. Find out whom they’re playing after the jump.
Posted on Thursday, February 28th, 2013 by Russ Fischer
What does it take to generate new interest in a property as well-worn as the Hannibal Lecter story sequence from novelist Thomas Harris? For the new TV show Hannibal, in which producer Bryan Fuller charts the early days of the working relationship between FBI profiler Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Lecter, a few things are obvious parts of the approach.
The cast is on. In addition to Dancy there’s the attention-getting choice of Mads Mikkelsen (Pusher, Casino Royale) as Lecter, with the addition of Laurence Fishburne, Gina Torres, Gillian Anderson, Eddie Izzard and Ellen Greene, with Caroline Dhavernas and Lance Henriksen.
And then there’s Fuller’s style, which oozes from this first full trailer. His weird American Gothic approach looks very much like a good fit for this story. We’ve seen the Lecter story told exhaustively on film (in Manhunter, The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Hannibal Rising, and the Manhunter remake Red Dragon) but visually, at least, this version seems to go in a new direction. And while the story lends itself to the old procedural format that is so familiar from innumerable TV shows, that visual style helps Hannibal stand out.
Check out the trailer below. Read More »
TV Bits: ‘American Horror Story’, ‘Hannibal’, ‘The Newsroom’, ‘Game of Thrones’, ’30 Rock’, Guillermo del Toro, Bear McCreary, Michael Bay
Posted on Thursday, November 15th, 2012 by Angie Han
Get ready for another year of serious (and often seriously enjoyable) WTF-ery, because FX has renewed American Horror Story for a third season. Also after the jump:
- Guillermo del Toro‘s The Strain starts casting to shoot in 2013
- Da Vinci’s Demons hires Walking Dead composer Bear McCreary
- Michael Cera is an Arrested Development writer; Lupe returns
- Bryan Fuller casts Mockingbird Lane‘s Eddie Izzard in Hannibal
- Michael Bay books a guest role as himself on ABC’s The Neighbors
- Meryl Streep’s daughter Grace Gummer joins HBO’s The Newsroom
- Aaron Sorkin is sad The Newsroom won’t cover the Petraeus scandal
- HBO unveils its first teaser poster for Game of Thrones Season 3
- See a save the date for Liz Lemon’s likely trainwreck of a wedding
Posted on Monday, October 15th, 2012 by Russ Fischer
Time once again to speculate about just what NBC expects out of Mockingbird Lane, the Munsters revamp from producer/writer Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies) and director Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, X-Men). Over the past couple weeks we’ve heard that the expensive pilot came in below NBC’s standards, and that the network was either dumping the show altogether, or airing the pilot as a pre-Halloween special in order to make back a few bucks on the investment.
Now we’ve got the first ad for the show, so we know the “one-time special” airing is really happening. This is also our first real look at what Fuller and Singer pulled together for the show, which stars Jerry O’Connell as Herman Munster, Portia de Rossi as his wife Lily, and Eddie Izzard as Grandpa.
It’s an effects-heavy comedy with an aesthetic that will be familiar to fans of Fuller. The stuff pulled for this brief tease looks pretty good, especially by television standards. Whether the comedy works or not will come down to personal preference, but for a pilot that has been the subject of such pessimistic speculation this doesn’t look like a wreck.
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
TV Bits: ‘Hannibal’, ‘Mockingbird Lane’, ‘Dexter’, ‘Homeland’, ‘Modern Family’, Stephen Merchant, and More
Posted on Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 by Angie Han
There’s a little bit of everything in today’s batch, including a new trailer, new pics, some casting info, and some industry drama. After the jump:
- Laurence Fishburne is in talks for Bryan Fuller‘s Hannibal
- Check out the not-so-monstrous Mockingbird Lane cast
- NBC’s new offerings for the fall season will debut early online
- Flip through promo pics from Dexter‘s seventh season
- Watch Claire Danes go crazy in a new trailer for Homeland
- HBO picks up a pilot by UK Office co-creator Stephen Merchant
- Modern Family‘s contract negotiations delay production
Posted on Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 by Angie Han
With construction already underway on its sets, NBC’s Munsters reboot Mockingbird Lane is moving a few last pieces into place for its main cast. Jerry O’Connell and Mariana Klaveno have just been cast as Herman and Lily Munster in the Bryan Fuller-created show, joining previously cast stars Eddie Izzard (Grandpa), Charity Wakefield (Marilyn), and Mason Cook (Eddie).
There is one big question mark hanging over the news, however — Klaveno’s involvement is contingent on her ability to work out a deal with ABC Studios, who has her contracted for its upcoming Marc Cherry soap Devious Maids. More details after the jump.
TV Bits: Read the Leaked ‘Community’ Talking Points Memo From NBC, Plus: ‘Mockingbird Lane’, ‘Game of Thrones’, ‘Spartacus’, ‘True Blood’
Posted on Thursday, May 24th, 2012 by Angie Han
The latest development in this sad Dan Harmon / Community saga is a leaked memo from NBC instructing the shows actors on how to handle the topic while speaking to the public. Honestly, it’s not so much that the note itself is unreasonable or dishonest, but that now it’ll be tough not to listen for these same talking points when we see Joel McHale or Alison Brie field questions about it on some late night talk show.
Happily, the rest of today’s TV Bits are a little more cheerful:
- NBC’s Mockingbird Lane casts a Spy Kid as its Eddie Munster
- HBO Zone announces a Game of Thrones Season 2 marathon
- Starz hopes you’ll tune in to its Spartacus marathon a few days later
- True Blood‘s new promo has lots of sex and violence
Sequel Bits: Michelle Rodriguez Returns For ‘Machete Kills,’ Vin Diesel Teases More ‘Riddick,’ Plus ‘Wrong Turn 5’, ‘Treasure Island 2’
Posted on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 by Russ Fischer
There’s a lot of sequel casting and development to report today, and so after the break you’ll find:
- Michelle Rodriguez will return for Machete Kills and Fast and Furious 6
- Vin Diesel is teasing further Riddick sequel news
- Steve Coogan is cast in Despicable Me 2
- Eddie Izzard suggests there could be more Treasure Island in his future
- Eva Green talks about her role in the 300 prequel
- Wrong Turn 5 begins shooting
In today’s TV Bits, Uma Thurman puts on her dancing shoes and Charlie Sheen comes back from the dead. After the jump:
- AMC picks up another Robert Kirkman comic, Thief of Thieves
- Charlie Sheen’s Anger Management gets a new teaser
- Uma Thurman does her best Marilyn impression for Smash
- Fox revisits the first episode of its first show, Married… With Children
- NBC unveils some concept art for its Munsters reboot
TV Bits: Eddie Izzard is Grandpa in ‘Munsters’ Reboot, Plus: ‘Veep’, ‘Girls’, ‘American Horror Story’, ‘Magic City’, ‘Mad Men’, Jason O’Mara
Posted on Wednesday, March 21st, 2012 by Angie Han
Yes, that Munsters reboot is still happening, and now it even has a star. After the jump:
- Eddie Izzard heads to Mockingbird Lane
- Mad Men messes up a tiny period detail
- Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine is an actor now
- Terra Nova star Jason O’Mara finds a new job
- Starz has already renewed Magic City
- HBO has new posters for Veep and Girls