If you haven’t ventured out to theaters to see the drug trafficking action thriller Sicario, allow me to recommend that you stop dragging your feet and take a chance on what may be one of the best films of the year. It’s an intense, white knuckle flick featuring a bad ass performance from Emily Blunt, and a scene-stealing turn from Benicio del Toro.
And when you see the film, you probably won’t realize there are actually a bunch of impressive, unnoticeable visual effects in the movie. But a Sicario visual effects reel from Oblique FX shows just what was real and what was digitally created. Having just seen the movie recently, I was floored after learning just how many visual effects were employed. However, if you haven’t seen Sicario, beware of minor spoilers. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, September 30th, 2015 by Angie Han
We’ve got a lot of ground to cover today, so let’s hit it. After the jump:
- Get details on the Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation home video release
- The Olsen twins are “always welcome” to drop by Fuller House
- Drew Goddard says the studio really wanted a Cabin in the Woods 2
- Mia Wasikowska says the Alice in Wonderland sequel has less CG
- Drafthouse Films picks up Klown Forever for distribution in the U.S.
- Now Homeland‘s Damian Lewis is the subject of “next James Bond” rumors
- Exactly how many Aston Martin DB10s were destroyed in the making of Spectre?
- Blade Runner 2 director Denis Villeneuve would like to make a Bond film
- The Art of Kung Fu Panda 3 reveals another look at the sequel
- The cast of Resident Evil 6 shares more photos from the set
Read More »
In today’s edition of Sequel bits we take a look at:
- Brad Bird teases the origins of The Incredibles 2 story.
- Director Denis Villeneuve talks about why he is taking on Blade Runner 2.
- Screenwriter Max Landis pitches his idea for Man of Steel 2.
- Shaun the Sheep 2 in development.
- Lara Pulver joins Underworld 5.
- Eli Roth has an idea for Hostel: Part IV.
- Two new attraction posters for Jurassic World.
- A new tv trailer for Ride Along 2.
All this and more. Hit the jump to get started.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, September 17th, 2015 by Angie Han
After the jump:
- Voice actor Mark Ryan debunks a recent Transformers 5 rumor
- Denis Villeneuve addresses Blade Runner‘s biggest mystery
- Fantastic Beasts‘ Eddie Redmayne doesn’t want to “let everybody down”
- The horror in Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials almost got it rated R
- Bryan Cranston and Frankie Muniz want a Malcolm in the Middle reunion
- Robocop 2 might still happen someday, eventually, maybe
- The Conjuring 2 and Ouija 2 add to their cast lists
- Straight Outta Compton‘s Aldis Hodge signs up for Jack Reacher 2
- Frank Marshall shares a photo from the set of Bourne 5
Read More »
This fall brings the arrival in theaters of Sicario, the latest film from Enemy and Prisoners director Denis Villeneuve, with a cast highlighted by Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro, and Josh Brolin. The three play corners on a triangle of official and sometimes very unofficial players in the war between law agencies and Mexican drug cartels.
This new Sicario trailer has some of the same footage as the last domestic trailer, but it is a bit shorter, so it reveals less, and it is cut in a slightly more broad manner, presumably to get its ideas across to a larger audience. It is still quite good, and still makes Emily Blunt look like a total badass. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Thursday, June 18th, 2015 by Angie Han
Who would have guessed, when Emily Blunt first broke through as Meryl Streep’s snobby assistant in The Devil Wears Prada, that she’d go on to have a career as a badass action hero? Yet here we are with Looper and Edge of Tomorrow and now Sicario, the latter of which promises to be her darkest turn yet.
Directed by Denis Villeneuve, Sicario follows an FBI agent involved with the war on drugs. Her latest assignment takes her to the U.S.-Mexico border in the company of two men, a CIA official played by Josh Brolin and a mysterious consultant played by Benicio del Toro. Watch the first Sicario trailer after the jump. Read More »
We’re seeing more of Sicario, the new film from Denis Villeneuve, very slowly. There were a few images, then a poster. And if you want to know more about the film, there are quite a few reviews floating around from the film’s Cannes premiere. Now there’s also a Sicario clip, and while we wait for the film’s official trailer, it’s a good first taste of the work by Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro, and Josh Brolin, playing a set of government consultants and agents who form an uneasy alliance to fight one battle in the war on drugs. Read More »
Ridley Scott’s original Blade Runner is a film that’s revered for its look. However, cinematographer Jordan Cronenweth rarely gets the credit. Instead, it usually goes to his director, production designer, set designer and others. With director Denis Villeneuve‘s sequel now in the works, fans were certainly wondering if the look of the new film could live up to that universal praise. That answer is now, undoubtedly, yes.
The cinematographer for Villeneuve’s last two films, Roger Deakins, will be shooting Blade Runner 2 when the cameras role next year. Deakins shot Prisoners and the upcoming Sicario for the director, as well as Fargo, The Shawshank Redemption, The Big Lebowski, Skyfall and many others. He’s famously been nominated for 12 Cinematography Oscars without winning one. Read more about Roger Deakins Blade Runner 2 below. Read More »
Prisoners director and cinematographer team Denis Villeneuve and Roger Deakins reunite for Sicario, a film set in the dangerous borderlands between the US and Mexico. Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, Benicio del Toro, and Jon Bernthal star in a story that looks into the darker corners of the war on drugs. We recently saw some images from the film which, free of context, weren’t all that compelling. But the first Sicario poster is terrific, and you can see that in full (along with those images) below. Read More »