Cool Stuff is a regular feature where we take a look at the latest geeky collectibles, toys, and gear. It’s your geekarific Holiday shopping guide published all year round.
In today’s edition of Cool Stuff, we are looking at some of the current limited time pop culture screenprint offerings. Mondo is releasing three new Mike Mitchell Star Wars portraits, Timothy Anderson is releasing a Matrix-inspired sprint as part of his Sci-fi Landscape series, Mondo is also releasing a Kong: Skull Island print by Francesco Francavilla, Cyclop Print Works is presenting Be Our Guest: An Art Tribute To Disney’s Beauty and the Beast with a bunch of prints including a beautiful one-sheet by Craig Drake., and Acme Archives has a bunch of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story prints from Dan Mumford, Dave Perillo, and Arno Kiss.
Read More »
Cool Stuff is your geeky holiday shopping guild published all year round. In today’s edition, we bring you an all screenprint edition of Cool Stuff. We have Mike Mitchell Star Wars portrait prints featuring Princess Leia and Wicket the Ewok, a Mulan poster by artist Craig Drake and a couple screen prints celebrating some great arthouse releases: a Force Majeure screenprint, a Swiss Army Man limited edition screenprint by Mark Englert. All this and more, hit the jump to dive in.
Read More »
This past weekend saw the opening of the third solo show for pop culture artist Craig Drake. Over at Hero Complex Gallery, fans lined up outside for hours to get into the show to have the first shot at picking up the latest work from the artist who brought us outstanding work from the likes of Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, TRON and more in his last solo art show. Now you can check out the pieces that Craig Drake debuted for this third solo show at Hero Complex Gallery, including tributes to Ghostbusters, Mad Max: Fury Road, Ex Machina, The Fifth Element, Batman, Alien, Akira and more.
Check out the new Craig Drake artwork from this third solo show after the jump. Read More »
Last week we wrote about some of the Mondo prints that would be available at San Diego Comic Con International 2016, and we even shared with you how you could get your own Mondo Star Wars prints without being on the exhibit floor. But as always, Mondo surprises its fans throughout the convention with new onside releases. I thought I’d share with you some of this incredible art, even though many of these are likely sold out at this point (b ut don’t lose all hope, Mondo often saves variants for online release later). Hit the jump to check out the previously uncovered Mondo prints from Comic Con 2016.
Read More »
It’s officially Back to the Future Day, which means it’s time to get your hands on cool gear like Pepsi Perfect and Mondo‘s collectible vinyl release of the soundtracks to each film in the trilogy. And now there are even more ways to celebrate your love for Back to the Future today.
Mondo has unveiled another Back to the Future Day treat with two new pieces of artwork that will be on sale today. And Hero Complex Gallery has new Back to the Future pieces by Craig Drake paying tribute to the iconic DeLorean time machine, along with a new poster from Ape Meets Girl. Check out the Back to the Future artwork after the jump! Read More »
More Star Wars Bits! This one even goes back to the prequels, and you can read about all these items below:
- Damon Lindelof would like to write a Lobot movie.
- George Lucas was scared of the Yoda/Dooku fight in Attack of the Clones.
- Disneyland has a Han Solo in Carbonite lunch combo.
- Read Vanity Fair interviews with Kathleen Kennedy, John Williams, Pablo Hidalgo and more.
- Did you see Craig Drake‘s new Star Wars posters?
- Why did Dice decide to reboot Star Wars Battlefront instead of sequelize it?
- Check out a four page preview of Kanan: The Last Padawan #3.
- There might be a big New Hope easter egg in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Learn about a connection between Rey and Han Solo in The Force Awakens.
Read More »
Craig Drake‘s work can stop you in your tracks. Drake uses what feels like a bare minimum of elements to perfectly represent his subject in a striking and distinctive way. You might call it “minimalist,” but that would be a discredit to the energy contained in each piece.
In 2014, Drake had a very-well received solo show at the Hero Complex Gallery in Los Angeles. A few of the pieces even made my best of the year list. This year, the did a follow up show that contained even more beautiful work based on properties we all know and love. Stuff like Star Wars, Tron, Kill Bill, Akira, Pulp Fiction and more. Below, check out images from the latest Craig Drake Solo Show. Read More »
The bits are flying all over the place in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- John Knoll talks physics of the Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One teaser trailer.
- Read the first official interviews given by John Boyega and Daisy Ridley for The Force Awakens.
- Watch some more reaction videos to the latest Force Awakens trailer.
- See a visual breakdown of every musical moment in the Star Wars series.
- Kathleen Kennedy talks about secrecy surrounding The Force Awakens.
- Check out a supercut of every single character in the Star Wars saga.
- Mark Hamill released some personal photos from the set of Return of the Jedi.
- Did J.J. Abrams film some of The Force Awakens in the world’s third largest cave?
- Find out some answers to burning questions regarding Star Wars Battlefront.
- A spoiler filled scene from Star Wars: The Force Awakens is described.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Screenprinted movie posters continued to explode in 2014. I drool over so many posters every year, it’s very difficult to pick favorites. With movies, at least you know what you like and you don’t like. Why something works and why something doesn’t. Physical art is more subjective. Some art just hits people one way and others another. Such it is with pop culture posters. Maybe I love one subject more than another and that makes the art seem better. Maybe the art is absolutely incredible but, if I don’t connect with the subject, it’s harder to appreciate. Long story short, ranking them in any definitive ways seems futile.
That said, we figured it would be fun to at least call out a few of coolest screenprinted movie posters of 2014. Fifteen personal favorites that stand out, for one reason or another, to me. Posters are are beautiful, unique and make me remember their subject in a new, vivid way. Check out my favorite screenprinted movie posters of 2014 after the jump. Read More »
There’s a nice cornucopia of Star Wars news in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- More details about the Gary Whitta exit/Simon Kinberg entrance on the 2016 Star Wars standalone movie.
- Several pieces of Star Wars Celebration art by Craig Drake have been revealed.
- Oscar Isaac talks about keeping himself grounded while filming Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Skywalker Sound is now on Twitter.
- There was a Star Wars ad in a Japanese newspaper.
- George Lucas pops up in a nuclear waste documentary.
- Star Wars.com has a bunch of content about Star Wars #1.
Read More »