Community has played with episodes that dive into various genres and even some media that is atypical for a sitcom. There’s the animated battle in ‘Foosball and Nocturnal Vigilantism,’ for starters, but the wildest example was in the stop-motion season two episode ‘Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas.’ For the fifth season, which premieres in January, there won’t be an animated Christmas episode or any Christmas episode, for that matter. (Shame about the show’s restart kicking off after the holidays are over.)
Still there’s this: “Miracle on Jeff’s Street,” an animated short/promo that matches the Abed’s Master Key webisodes from a year back. It’s all about Jeff being sad because no one likes him because he’s Jeff, and the surprise he gets when he realizes that people really do like him, because this is Community. This is a cute little piece, if only for the answering aching exposition gag. Read More »
The first teaser for the fifth season of Community did something I thought was impossible: it made me want to watch the fifth season of Community. Early tweets from people who’ve seen the first episodes (like Alan Sepinwall) supported the notion that Dan Harmon‘s return has brought the show back to that smart/manic weirdness that made the best episodes of the first three seasons stand out from all other sitcoms.
Here’s a long trailer for the one-hour season premiere, which has more weird crap than even makes sense for one episode, plus Don Glover joking about his own impending departure, and an appearance from Walton Goggins. Suddenly, “six seasons and a movie” doesn’t seem so insane. Watch below. Read More »
Can series creator Dan Harmon put the shine back on Community? Ousted for the show’s fourth season, he’s back for the fifth, which premieres on January 2. This teaser suggests that Harmon has done a lot of course correcting — while I couldn’t get through much of the fourth season, this teaser has me ready to check out the fifth. In fact, I’m now eager to see this season, and I would never have guessed I’d feel that way after struggling through the first third of season four before giving up.
In fact, interviews see star Joel McHale saying that Harmon is “basically calling it a re-pilot of the show, where he’s re-establishing all the characters and grounding (them).” And there’s a lot of work to do: Chevy Chase left the cast, Donald Glover is leaving partway through season five, and John Oliver is returning.
But this little bit of footage suggests that Harmon might have been able to (re)ground the characters without losing the zany, unpredictable aspects of the show. Check it out below. Read More »
Posted on Friday, October 18th, 2013 by Angie Han
Briefly: The New Year will bring with it a return to Greendale. NBC has set Community to return on January 2, 2014, with back-to-back episodes starting at 8:00 PM. It’ll remain at the top of the hour the following week, while Parks & Recreation will take over the 8:30 PM starting on January 9.
Community is entering its fifth season, which isn’t bad for a show that seemed doomed for “brilliant-but-cancelled” status from the moment it arrived. The new season marks the return of series creator Dan Harmon, who was fired before Season 4. It’ll also be the first without Chevy Chase, who left near the end of last season, and the last for Donald Glover, who’ll only appear in five episodes. [EW]
Donald Glover posted a series of letters on Instagram which explain to fans why he’s leaving NBC’s Community, among other musings. In the letters, Glover explains that he didn’t leave the sitcom to pursue a musical career (he raps under the name Childish Gambino) but because he “wanted to be on my own.” You can read the entire letter, embedded after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 by Angie Han
Following in the footsteps of his old boss Gus, Mike will drop by Greendale in the next season of Community. Also after the jump:
- Game of Thrones recasts one of its roles for Season 4
- Lee Daniels is circling a Sammy Davis Jr. movie for HBO
- History greenlights Houdini mini with Adrien Brody
- FX is developing a Louie-style comedy for DL Hughley
- Sony is adapting Robert Rodriguez‘s El Mariachi for TV
- See trailers for Yahoo series from Ed Helms, Jack Black, and more
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, July 25th, 2013 by Angie Han
/Film didn’t get a chance to cover the Community Hall H panel at this year’s Comic-Con, sadly, but you can enjoy what we missed thanks to the power of the Internet.
A video of the entire event, from Dan Harmon‘s Iron Man-inspired intro to the final round of applause, has made its way online. Executive producer Chris McKenna and stars Alison Brie, Yvette Nicole Brown, Gillian Jacobs, Ken Jeong, Danny Pudi, and Jim Rash were also along for the ride. Watch it after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, June 20th, 2013 by Angie Han
I suppose 32-year-old Ben Savage is technically old enough to have a 13-year-old daughter, but it still feels weird to see him playing the proud dad instead of the confused kid on Girl Meets World, doesn’t it? Also after the jump:
- Darren Aronofsky and HBO ditch Michael Chabon‘s Hobgoblin
- FX’s The Strain adds John Hurt; Liv Tyler is one of HBO’s Leftovers
- Guillermo del Toro has guest directed something on The Simpsons
- Juan Antonio Bayona will direct Sam Mendes‘ Penny Dreadful
- Channing Tatum will produce a show by Pete from Happy Endings
- Almost all of CBS‘s shows will premiere the week of September 22
- Netflix will return to Eli Roth‘s Hemlock Grove for a second season
- Charlie Sheen gets Selma Blair fired from Anger Management
- Dan Harmon is sorry he said those mean things about Community Season 4
- Girl Meets World is a go; see proud parents Cory and Topanga in new pics
- Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan are Masters of Sex in a new trailer
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 by Angie Han
Game of Thrones has ended for the year, but its shadow continues to loom large. After the jump:
- Portlandia will return for two more seasons
- What happens of Game of Thrones catches up to the books?
- A Sons of Anarchy prequel is still a long ways away
- Dan Harmon closes his Community Season 5 deal
- Harry Potter‘s Tom Felton will bring his sneer to TNT
- Frank Darabont finds his Mickey Cohen for Lost Angels
- Under the Dome plucks a star from The Following
- Veronica Mars adds a bunch of fan favorites, and also Piz
- Watch a trailer for the upcoming fourth season of Luther
- Starz’s The White Queen tries to fill the Game of Thrones gap
- HBO offers new trailers for a bunch of their non-GOT shows
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 by Angie Han
Sony is apparently eager to hear what Dan Harmon has to say about Community‘s fourth season. Also after the jump:
- Peek at a DVD-only scene from Breaking Bad
- NBC renews Hannibal
- USA doesn’t want Happy Endings
- Revenge and Suburgatory lose stars
- Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who
- Dominic West and Judy Greer book new roles
- Girls adds a boy
- Peek at Falling Skies‘ new poster
- The Newsroom gets another trailer
Read More »