Award season is ready to get into full swing, and one of the early stages of the runup to the Academy Awards is the submission of Best Animated Feature options.
This year there are nineteen submitted features, including big studio fare (Cloudy 2, The Croods, Despicable Me 2, Monsters University), one from Studio Ghibli (The Wind Rises), a European effort we’ve covered a good bit (Ernest and Celestine) and a good few films that US audiences haven’t had much chance to see yet. One pleasant side effect of the animated Oscar list is that it draws attention to films that are new to many viewers.
That said, of the studio fare there are only a couple of compelling submissions, and enough of the rest are going to be new enough to Oscar voters that this might not be much of a race. The 86th Annual Academy Award nominations will be announced on January 16, 2014, and we’ll be curious to see how many films actually make the nomination cut. The awards will be held on March 2, 2014.
Read the submission list below.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 by Angie Han
Luc Besson wants to make another Fifth Element, kind of. Also after the jump:
- David Heyman comments on the Harry Potter spinoff
- Dredd finally gets a sequel… in comic book form
- A new Terminator comic chronicles the end of the war
- The newest Cloudy 2 clip features a dramatic entrance
- See No Evil 2 adds Freddy vs. Jason and Hatchet II stars
- Mark Wahlberg discusses his kids’ cameo in Transformers
- Check out the Chinese poster for Transformers 4
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, August 20th, 2013 by Angie Han
The food puns keep on coming in a new batch of posters from Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. Also after the jump:
- Director Scott Derrickson will return for Sinister 2 in some capacity
- Keri Russell offers more Dawn of the Planet of the Apes plot details
- The Conjuring 2 won’t be about Amityville, unless Patrick Wilson is lying
- Vin Diesel and David Twohy consider where the Riddick series will go next
- The Farrelly Bros. announce a contest for a Dumb and Dumber To role
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 flies up one week on Fox’s release calendar
- Food puns abound on new Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 posters
Read More »
Briefly: The full schedule for San Diego Comic-Con 2013 will be released very soon, but the major movie studios have already started to jump the gun. Sony revealed they’ll be bringing RoboCop, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to Hall H on Friday July 19. Then, Marvel Studios announced they’ll be bringing Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier to Hall H on Saturday July 20. There will also be “many special guests” at the Marvel panel, so expect lots of surprises.
We’ll post more as the full schedule is revealed and, of course, we’ll be on the ground with all the breaking news.
The first teaser for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 introduced an island overrun by food/animal hybrids — the sort of place a hungry Jules Verne might scribble down in a notebook. A featurette showed off more of the “foodimals,” and now the full trailer for the film serves up a few additional glimpses of the weird beasts.
This trailer also gives more of a lead-in to the story, telling how the events of the first film are followed up in this sequel, and throws out quite a few more food puns. Read More »
When Flint Lockwood (voiced by Bill Hader) created a machine that turned water into food, he never could have predicted the results. In Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2, he’ll be introduced to Foodimals — animals made out of food — that are threatening to take over his beloved hometown and possibly the world. In a new featurette, you’ll get a closer look at the inventive hybrids directors Kris Pearn and Cody Cameron helped create for the sequel, out September 27. Read More »
Posted on Thursday, April 4th, 2013 by Angie Han
In case you were wondering, yes, Kevin Smith is still pretty sure Clerks III will be his best film ever. It’s not clear whether Rosario Dawson totally agrees with that sentiment, but apparently she wants in too. Also after the jump:
- Danny Boyle dishes on the Trainspotting sequel
- Gru is an awkward parent in Despicable Me 2 clip
- Terry Crews goofs around in a Cloudy 2 featurette
- Before Midnight debuts an international poster
- New poster reminds us of Global Smurfs Day
- Get a peek at Keenser in Star Trek Into Darkness
- Listen to a bit of the Star Trek Into Darkness score
- Chris Pine was “scared” to play Captain Kirk
Read More »
I put off seeing Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, because I had no associations with the book from which the film took inspiration, and I thought the film would be childish and ridiculous based on the title. I was wrong; the movie is super-charming and well-made.
This year we’ll see the sequel, and the first trailer has just been released. Two guys who worked on the first movie, Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn, were chosen by the original film’s directors to helm this sequel, and they’re taking the chance to make a bigger, weirder movie. This trailer shows off the film’s new food-landscapes, and gives us a chance to hear Terry Crews as the returning character Officer Earl, voiced in the original film by Mr. T.
There are a few places where this trailer suggests that Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 relies on some of the jokes we liked in the first, but it’s still a fun, vivid bit of footage. Check it out below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web: