Director Scott Derrickson gave Marvel fans an early Christmas present late Sunday night when he posted an image that appears to be Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange. It was accompanied by the quote “Strange but not a stranger,” from the Talking Heads song ‘Burning Down the House.’ Is it fan art? Is it official? Probably somewhere in the middle. But either way, it’s an endorsement from the director of the Phase Three film set for release November 4, 2016. Check out the mysterious Benedict Cumberbatch Doctor Strange image below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Thursday, December 11th, 2014 by Angie Han
As the end of the year approaches, critics and awards voters everywhere are scrambling to put together their lists of 2014’s best performances. But the New York Times has outdone them all by actually getting the brightest talents of the year in a room together — and then asking them lock lips with one another.
The 9 Kisses video series pairs off 18 of the year’s best actors, ranging from established A-listers (Reese Witherspoon) to recent breakthroughs (Jenny Slate). Each couple plays out an intimate moment in a public setting at night, though the details within those parameters vary wildly. Some of the kisses are passionate and warm, others are awkward or funny. Watch the 9 Kisses videos after the jump. Read More »
After much speculation and a ton of unconfirmed reports, Marvel has finally officially announced that Benedict Cumberbatch will play Doctor Strange. We first got word that the Sherlock/Star Trek Into Darkness star was in talks to play the Sorcerer Supreme back in October. Cumberbatch got involved after Joaquin Phoenix dropped out. It seemed like each day brought a new rumor about a potentialDoctor Strange lead. Names like Ethan Hawke, Jared Leto, Ewan McGregor, Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Oscar Isaac were all floated as well. Days later Marvel announced a November 4th 2016 release date for Scott Derrickson-directed adaptation but did not make any casting announcements. And today Marvel confirms its a done deal — Benedict Cumberbatch will play Doctor Strange. Read the full Benedict Cumberbatch Doctor Strange press release after the jump.
Read More »
There’s a lot to talk about in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser trailer, but there’s only so much talking. Two short little phrases: “There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?” Followed by “The dark side…and the light.” With all the visuals that we can break down, there’ are only these two brief snippets of actual dialogue to consider. The first and most important question may be, who is speaking?
The identity of the narrator was a big topic of discussion Friday after the trailer hit. Speculation about the person’s identity ran from Max Von Sydow to Adam Driver, Andy Serkis and even Benedict Cumberbatch. The last one isn’t even in the movie, but it sounds a bit like him. Because he was at the center of J.J. Abrams’ last big mystery, it was a fun option to consider.
There will be no more considering. The identity of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer voice has been revealed.
Update: Andy Serkis has given a brief radio interview confirming that it is his voice in the trailer. Watch that below. Read More »
Lots of talk, discussion and speculation surrounding The Force Awakens trailer are in this edition of Star Wars Bits, but lots more too. Below, read about the following:
- How many views did the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer get in the first 72 hours?
- The code name for the 2016 Star Wars Stand Alone has been revealed.
- Two new actors have been revealed for The Force Awakens along with their roles.
- Watch Good Morning America‘s “exclusive” revelation about The Force Awakens trailer.
- Marvel announces big events for release of Star Wars #1.
- Benedict Cumberbatch talks about not being in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer.
- The mystery of Clone Troopers vs. Storm Troopers is settled by the official Star Wars Twitter.
- John Boyega responds to hateful comments of his role in The Force Awakens.
- David Prowse would have loved to be in The Force Awakens.
- Watch a video of the Alamo Drafthouse Force Awakens trailer event.
- Read a line of dialogue from The Force Awakens, a setting description and maybe the opening of the film.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
This morning, Disney and Lucasfilm released the first trailer for JJ Abrams‘s Star Wars: The Force Awakens. You can watch that awesome trailer here, in case you haven’t seen it already. (Or if, like me, you want to watch it over and over again.) And for those of you who really want to take in all of the visuals revealed in the first Star Wars Episode 7 teaser trailer, we have compiled a batch of high resolution images from the film to let you take in all the awesomeness one image at a time. Hit the jump to see the Star Wars The Force Awakens photos now.
Update: We have added a Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer commentary video after the jump.
Read More »
New episodes of Sherlock probably won’t hit the air, at least in America, until 2016. If we’re lucky, maybe late 2015, but nothing is set in stone. Well, that’s not entirely true. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, who’ll both be seen in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, will soon shoot a special episode of the show that will air during 2015.
We don’t know exactly what will happen in the episode as the finale of the third season offered quite the cliffhanger, but we have the first image that hints at the story. Maybe this episode won’t actually be in sequential order with the rest of the show. Check out the Sherlock special image and see for yourself. Read More »
Directed by Morten Tyldum (Headhunters) and starring Benedict Cumberbatch as pioneering and unjustly prosecuted computer scientist Alan Turing, The Imitation Game has been squarely established as a key player in this year’s awards race. That means it can be easy to talk about Cumberbatch’s Oscar chances rather than the film itself. But set aside questions about awards for now. Focus instead on the fact that there’s a big movie about a man who has long been celebrated in scientific circles, and who is also known for his sexuality and the shameful way he was treated by his country because of it. See a final Imitation Game trailer below.
Read More »
Lots of awesome Episode VII talk highlights this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following.
- Some fun rumors pop up about Episode VII cameos for Simon Pegg, Benedict Cumberbatch and the role of Warwick Davis.
- A full, rumored scene is described as well as a hint at the film’s opening.
- Read some news and see some photos from the Star Wars Episode VII wrap party.
- Mark Hamill has shaved his Star Wars Episode VII beard.
- Actress Christina Chong talks working on Episode VII.
- An upcoming book will reveal a new Episode VII ship.
- Does concept art highlight changes made from the Michael Arndt script to the J.J. Abrams/Lawrence Kasdan one?
- Peter Jackson also visited the set of Star Wars Episode VII.
- See the Hot Toys Stormtrooper figures.
- An official Star Wars costume exhibit has been announced.
Read More »