Posted on Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015 by Angie Han
Half Nelson duo Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck are back this year with Mississippi Grind, an indie drama starring Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds as unlikely companions on a gambling road trip.
Along the way, the two men learn all about themselves and each other, and meet all sorts of characters, and reckon with the pasts that haunt them, and all of that usual stuff. But between Boden and Fleck’s eye for detail and Mendelsohn and Reynolds’ appealing chemistry, this one looks a cut above your average road trip flick. Watch the Mississippi Grind trailer after the jump. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Director Gareth Edwards is quietly putting together an amazing, diverse cast for his upcoming Star Wars film. We know Felicity Jones is on board, and we’ve heard Riz Ahmed and Ben Mendelsohn might be along for the ride too. Now Variety reports Diego Luna will join the team for Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One, which follows a group of solders who steal the plans for the Death Star.
The trade also reports Mendelsohn’s role is that of the lead villain. Read more about the Rogue One casting below. Read More »
We’ve got more Star Wars Celebration round-up items, as well as some cool Force Awakens info, in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read the following:
- Force Awakens star John Boyega is back on Twitter, and walked around Celebration in disguise.
- Disney is recreating the Millennium Falcon cockpit on their cruise ship.
- George Lucas says Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a “different” kind of story.
- Marvel announced two new Star Wars comic books.
- A new Del Ray book has been revealed: Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company.
- Author Alan Dean Foster will write The Force Awakens novelization.
- Watch a Lego version of the Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One trailer.
- Listen to Peter on a podcast about Star Wars Celebration.
- See where the X-Wing sequences in the Force Awakens trailer were filmed.
- Ben Mendelsohn tiptoes around his potential Rogue One casting.
- Want to see a Gonk Droid in Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
- J.J. Abrams takes the Twizzler Challenge.
- Star Wars Celebration 2016 will be in London from July 15-17, 2016.
Read More »
Star Wars Celebration is in the spotlight, but there’s also movie and TV news in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- Rumored Rogue One star Ben Mendelsohn talks Star Wars fandom.
- The Star Wars Battlefront trailer will debut at 10:30 a.m. PST April 17.
- London fans can watch The Force Awakens Star Wars Celebration panel live.
- Watch Oscar Isaac talk about how his uncle got an extra role in The Force Awakens.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars was nominated for 7 Daytime Emmy Awards.
- See official, exclusive Star Wars Celebration apparel.
Read More »
We know Felicity Jones will be taking a trip to a galaxy far, far away in 2016’s Star Wars: Rogue One and now her first co-star may have been revealed. Word has it Ben Mendelsohn could be joining the cast. Mendelsohn is currently starring in Netflix’s Bloodline but was also seen in Animal Kingdom, The Place Beyond the Pines, and a small role in The Dark Knight Rises, among other films. Read more Ben Mendelsohn Star Wars news below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Monday, February 9th, 2015 by Angie Han
As Coach Taylor on Friday Night Lights, Kyle Chandler projected a reassuring warmth and wisdom. No matter how badly his players screwed up, he was always there to dole out sage advice or set them right with his stern yet understanding gaze.
In his new role in Netflix’s Bloodline, however, it seems Chandler’s the one in need of some guidance. He plays one of four adult children of a wealthy Florida Keys family, whose lives take a dark turn after the arrival of black-sheep eldest brother Danny (played by Ben Mendelsohn, because of course).
Linda Cardellini and Norbert Leo Butz play the other siblings, and Sissy Spacek and Sam Shepard are their parents. Watch the Bloodline trailer after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015 by Angie Han
Ryan Gosling is an extremely successful movie star, or at least he was as of 2013. He hasn’t been seen onscreen in the past year because in addition to being a movie star, he also wants to be a director. He makes his feature filmmaking debut with Lost River, a dreamy fantasy-thriller about a teenage boy (Iain De Casestecker) in an abandoned city.
Christina Hendricks plays the kid’s beleaguered mother and Saoirse Ronan his oddball love interest. Matt Smith, Eva Mendes, and Ben Mendelsohn also star. Watch the Lost River trailer after the jump. Read More »
If movies have taught us anything, it’s that money drives people mad. Movie after movie depicts people doing terrible things for money. Killing, kidnapping, and worse. Now take that tension between people desperate for money, shove it into a super-confined space, and push the container deep under the ocean. The result is Black Sea.
Directed by Kevin Macdonald (The Last King of Scotland), Black Sea stars Jude Law as a submarine captain who is let go from his job. Desperate to make a buck, he agrees to lead a rouge mission into the depths where one of Adolf Hitler’s World War II submarines is sitting at the bottom of the ocean, reportedly filled with gold.
Black Sea, which co-stars Scoot McNairy, Ben Mendelsohn and David Threlfall, opens January 23. Check out the Black Sea trailer below. Read More »
Posted on Friday, April 25th, 2014 by Angie Han
Jack O’Connell is one of those names you don’t know yet, but will very soon. The 24-year-old British actor has been in the mix for a bunch of high-profile roles over the past few years, and finally booked one in 300: Rise of an Empire — before nabbing an even bigger one in Angelina Jolie‘s Unbroken. And while we’ve seen lots of pretty young faces come and go, his performance in David Mackenzie‘s excellent prison drama Starred Up suggests that this one has real staying power.
Read More »