Sequel Bits: Writers Want Michael Keaton for ‘Beetlejuice 2’, Zach Galifianakis Talks ‘Hangover 3’, Stuntman Dies on ‘Expendables 2’
Posted on Friday, October 28th, 2011 by Angie Han
When we reported on the impending Beetlejuice reboot last month, the very first comment on our post was “No Keaton=no movie.” Apparently, writers Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are of the same mind as our dear readers. In a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, the two revealed some of the conditions of their making the film. Here’s the relevant quote:
When Warner Bros. came to us about it, we said the only way we’d do it if we got Tim [Burton’s] blessing and involvement, and we got that, and the star of the movie has to be Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, and it’s a true continuation 26 years later. Not just throwing him in as a cameo going, “Hey, it’s me. I endorse this movie.” We’re not there yet [with Keaton] because we don’t have a film to present to him.
I’m still not really sold on the idea of this reboot, but if it has to happen I’d rather it happen with Keaton on board — I can’t imagine anyone else stepping into those shoes. It’s worth noting here that during last year’s press junket for Toy Story 3, Keaton told reporters he’d return “in a heartbeat” if a sequel happens.
The writers also emphasized that the new film will not be a remake, but a reboot, as previously reported. “People have been very angry about [the idea of a remake],” noted Katzenberg.
After the jump, Zach Galifianakis offers a tiny update on The Hangover Part III and tragedy hits the set of The Expendables 2.