Adam Brody and Seann William Scott have joined the cast of Kevin Smith‘s A Couple of Dicks. The R-Rated buddy cop comedy stars Tracy Mogan and Bruce Willis as two veteran LAPD detectives who attempt to track down a stolen, mint-condition, 1952 baseball card, get tangled with a sports memorabilia-obsessed gangster and rescue a Mexican beauty who might hold the key to millions in laundered drug money. I’ve read an earlier draft of the script, and it’s funny in a very different way than any of Smith’s previous films.
Scott plays a thief known as “the Shit Bandit,” as he is notorious for leaving a surprise trademark behind in the bathroom after robbing a house. Brody plays an “abrasive detective” who is not happy to be working with Willis and Morgan. Scott appeared briefly in Smith’s Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Written by Robb and Marc Cullen, and featured on the 2008 Black List (a Hollywood insider list of the best unproduced screenplays of the year), A Couple of Dicks is tentatively scheduled to hit theaters on February 26th 2010.
If you haven’t yet listened to the Special Watchmen Review Edition of /Filmcast, you should do so now. Kevin Smith joined the crew and to geek out in depth about the “unfilmable” comic book adaptation. Smith’s next film, A Couple of Dicks, will be his first feature film based on a screenplay that he also didn’t write. Our conversation with Smith was “Dicks”-less, but Lee Stranahan recently sat down with Smith and was able to get him to talk about the upcoming action cop comedy starring Bruce Willis and Tracey Morgan. Here are some of the highlights:
- The script is “definitely an R-Rated Film” with “salty language in it, but not a Hard R”
- Warner Bros was considering making it as a PG-13 movie (which might explain the brief “A Couple of Cops” title change) but Willis, Morgan, Smith and WB head Jeff Robinov decided it would be better as an R-Rated comedy
- “It meant a lot of us had to give up a bunch of our salary to make this movie, that’s how passionate we are about the flick.”
- “It just feels like a grown up movie for me”
- “You could go after the Gran Torino audience with this movie, and that is a totally different audience than I’ve ever played to.”
- “The budget of the movie is NOT huge.”
- “For anyone who says ‘He just sold out, he’s just going for the buck — I’m making less to make this movie than I did on Dogma, which is a movie I made 10 years ago and didn’t make a lot of money.”
- “That’s the way I think the business should be run. Everyone should take the risk and then if it pans out, we all get rich.”
- Smith says Robinov hired him because this is a movie about “two dudes talking to each other” and his visual chops are now “up to snuff”
- “There are some action sequences in it. On the grand scale of things, not action sequences on the scale of Zack Snyder composes. Butthere are action sequences which are a little more than I’ve composed.”
Watch the video interview after the jump.
Read More »
Earlier this week word leaked out that Kevin Smith would be directing A Couple of Dicks starring Tracy Mogan and Bruce Willis. The next day the trades confirmed the reports but also claimed that the film’s title was changed to “A Couple of Cops”. A lot of people thought the new title was extremely stupid, including us.
Good news. Today I received word from my studio sources that Warner Bros has decided to keep the film’s original title after all. Who knows if that will change later on, but right now that is the project’s title.
Written by Robb and Marc Cullen, and featured on the 2008 Black List (a Hollywood insider list of the best unproduced screenplays of the year), A Couple of Dicks tells the story of “two veteran LAPD detectives attempt to track down a stolen, mint-condition, 1952 baseball card.” The film is tentatively scheduled January 29th 2010 release date.
Yesterday word broke that Kevin Smith would be helming the first feature film based on a screenplay he did not write. Robb and Marc Cullen‘s A Couple of Dicks was one of the scripts on the 2008 Black List (a Hollywood insider list of the best unproduced screenplays of the year). The story follows “two veteran LAPD detectives attempt to track down a stolen, mint-condition, 1952 baseball card.” It will star Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan and will be Smith’s first studio film. The trades have confirmed the rumors, but the real shocker is that Warner Bros has decided to change the title from A Couple of Dicks to… A Couple of Cops.
It’s not that I thought the original title, an obvious double entendre, was insanely clever, but it was definitely 100 times better than the new title, which is devoid of all cleverness. I understand that the word Porno posed a problem with the marketing of Smith’s Zack and Miri Make a Porno, but I think this is a totally different situation. Hell, Universal’s Meet The Fockers was released without issue. Also, Andrew Fleming’s 1999 Whitewater/Richard Nixon comedy Dick was released with no problems. So whats the deal?
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
For a while now, Kevin Smith has been trying t get his indie horror film Red State off the ground. But by the director’s own admission, the project isn’t exactly marketable, and the plan was to film it on the cheap with no big stars. It seemed obvious to me that the film is going to take a few years to get off the ground, and won’t be going into production any time soon.
Now ERC Box Office is reporting that Kevin Smith will be directing a movie called A Couple of Dicks for Warner Bros. This will be a big departure for Smith — not only is the film being produced outside of Miramax/The Weinstein Co (aka his first big studio film), but this would be the first feature film project that Smith didn’t write himself. Recently Smith has made comments on his podcast, Smodcast, that he wouldn’t be against directing someone else’s screenplay, a possibility he had ruled out in his earlier years. It should be noted that Smith has tested the waters by directing the pilot episode of the CW television show Reaper.
Read More »