Posted on Monday, September 3rd, 2007 by Steve Mason
Michael Myers is the new Labor Day box office king, but he’s bleeding after dropping another 19% on Sunday. Halloween (MGM/Weinstein) still managed a $6.94M day and closed the book on a 3-day of $26.46M, but its projected 4-day of $31.32M is much softer than you would expect after almost $11M on Friday.
Superbad (Sony) got a 9% Sunday bump for an estimated $4.68M. The Judd Apatow-produced, Seth Rogen-written comedy will finish the long weekend with approximately $15.73M, and the R-rated hit has broken past the $90M mark. The Bourne Ultimatum (Universal) enjoyed a 4% increase, while Rogue Releasing’s Balls of Fury dipped 10% on Sunday, giving Bourne a 3rd place Sunday finish. Balls, however, will be #3 for the 4-day weekend with $13.79M to $13.52M for the Damon/Greengrass thriller.
The other new wide release, Death Sentence from Fox, is a bomb, adding just $1.41M on Sunday. By Tuesday morning, the James Wan-directed thriller will have limped to just $5.2M.
Looking at the numbers, you’ll see a nearly 40% jump for WAR (Lionsgate) on its 2nd Sunday. People didn’t just suddenly discover the Jet Li-Jason Statham action flick. Most of Lionsgate’s 340 or so sneaks of 3:10 to Yuma were part of WAR’s Sunday number.
Finally, The Nines (Newmarket Films) claims the 4-day PTA crown with almost 14,000 per screen. Halloween will finish a rather disappointing 4th in per screen average.
EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS EARLY SUNDAY ESTIMATES
1. Halloween (MGM/Weinstein) – $6.94M [$26.46M cume]
2. Superbad (Sony) – $4.68M [$89.2M cume]
3. The Bourne Ultimatum (Universal) – $3.96M [$199.7M cume]
4. Balls of Fury (Rogue Releasing) – $3.7M [$14.1M cume]
5. Rush Hour 3 (New Line) – $3.17M [$120.8M cume]
*Death Sentence (Fox) – $1.41M [$4.2M cume]
*WAR (Lionsgate) – $1.86M [$17M cume]
*Ladron Que Roba A Ladron (Lionsgate) – $525,000 [$1.45M cume]
*The Nines (NewMarket Films) – $6.607 [$22,400 cume]
EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS REVISED 4-DAY ESTIMATES
1. Halloween (MGM/Weinstein) – $31.32M [$31.32M cume]
2. Superbad (Sony) – $15.73M [$92.5M cume]
3. Balls of Fury (Rogue Releasing) – $13.79M [$16.7M cume]
4. The Bourne Ultimatum (Universal) – $13.52M [$202.9M cume]
5. Rush Hour 3 (New Line) – $10.97M [$123.1M cume]
*Death Sentence (Fox) – $5.2M [$5.2M cume]
*Ladron Que Roba A Ladron (Lionsgate) – $1.68M [$1.68M cume]
*The Nines (NewMarket Films) – $27,700 [$27,700 cume]
EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS 4-DAY PTA ESTIMATES
1. The Nines (Newmarket Films) â€“ 2 screens – $13,845 PTA
2. Vanaja (Emerging Pictures) â€“1 screens – $10,745 PTA
3. Exiled (Magnolia) â€“ 2 screens – $9,985 PTA
4. Halloween (MGM/Weinstein) – 3,472 screens – $9,023 PTA
5. Deep Water (IFC Films) â€“ 2 screens – $9,000 PTA
Read more at FantasyMoguls.com.