Posted on Monday, April 19th, 2010 by Peter Sciretta
Summit Entertainment has acquired worldwide rights to the popular/famous relationship book franchise Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus.
The book series Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus assesses marital and relationship problems in terms of distinct and pervasive gender differences. The Mars-Venus series has sold over 50 million books in 45 territories worldwide. Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus is the #1 bestselling book of the last decade and the #1 relationship book of all time. It was on The New York Times Bestseller List for nearly seven years and is #6 on USA Today’s list of the 25 Most Influential Books. In addition to his publishing success, Dr. Gray’s video/DVD lecture series has earned over $100 million.
Summit has teamed with producers Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun (Mercy, Accidentally On Purpose, and Is She Really Going Out With Him?) to develop the books into both a film and television franchise. I would love to make fun of this decision, but honestly, for once it actually makes complete sense. What better non-narrative book to adapt into a romantic comedy than this one? Read the full press release after the jump.
MEN ARE FROM MARS, WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS
· Summit Entertainment has acquired worldwide film and television rights to the entire MEN ARE FROM MARS, WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS franchise based on the book series written by John Gray, Ph.D. The initial book, which was the launch of more than a dozen Mars-Venus titles, was originally published by Harper Collins in 1992. Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun will produce the film project via their BermanBraun banner.
· Erik Feig, Summit’s President of Production, stated, “MEN ARE FROM MARS, WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS is not just the title of a book, or what we know will become an amazing film and TV franchise – it is a pop cultural mainstay and comically, sadly, romantically, all too often still true these many years after first being published. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work on a franchise whose name everyone knows and whose reality everyone lives!”
· Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun, partners in BermanBraun, stated, “MEN ARE FROM MARS, WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS is the most enduring relationship franchise in the world and the Rosetta Stone for understanding the opposite sex. While men and women may never truly speak the same language, we’re thrilled to explore their perpetually hilarious, painful and romantic conflicts on the big screen.”
· The book series Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus assesses marital and relationship problems in terms of distinct and pervasive gender differences. The Mars-Venus series has sold over 50 million books in 45 territories worldwide. Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus is the #1 bestselling book of the last decade and the #1 relationship book of all time. It was on The New York Times Bestseller List for nearly seven years and is #6 on USA Today’s list of the 25 Most Influential Books. In addition to his publishing success, Dr. Gray’s video/DVD lecture series has earned over $100 million.
· Feig and Meredith Milton, Summit’s Vice President of Production, will oversee the project for the studio. Andrew Mittman, head of feature film development at BermanBraun, brought the project into the company. He will spearhead the production for BermanBraun.
· Dr. Gray is represented by attorney David M. Given in San Francisco.
About Dr. John Gray
An expert in the field of communication, Dr. John Gray’s focus is to help men and women understand, respect and appreciate their differences in both personal and professional relationships. In his many books, CDs, DVDs, tapes, workshops and seminars, he provides simple, practical tools and insights to effectively manage stress and improve relationships at all stages and ages by creating the brain and body chemistry of health, happiness and lasting romance.
Dr. Gray has appeared on Oprah, The Today Show, CBS Morning Show, Good Morning America, The Early Show, The View, Politically Incorrect, Larry King and others. He has been profiled in Newsweek, Time, Forbes, USA Today, TV Guide and People, among scores of other major programs. He was the subject of a rare three-hour special hosted by Barbara Walters.
In addition to being a Certified Family Therapist with over 30 years of experience in the field, John Gray is a consulting editor of The Family Journal and a member of the Distinguished Advisory Board of the International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors. He is a recipient of the coveted the Smart Marriages Impact Award.
About Summit Entertainment, LCC
Summit Entertainment, LLC is a worldwide theatrical motion picture development, financing, production and distribution studio. The studio handles all aspects of marketing and distribution for both its own internally developed motion pictures as well as acquired pictures. Summit Entertainment, LLC also represents international sales for both its own slate and third party product. Summit Entertainment, LLC releases on average 10 to 12 films annually.
BermanBraun is an independent media company whose three divisions – television, feature film and digital media – create and exploit entertainment content and advertising solutions throughout the world. The Santa Monica, California-based Company, founded by principals Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun in January 2007, has separate strategic global alliances with NBC and Microsoft to create and distribute creative content across all platforms. In February 2009, BermanBraun launched WONDERWALL – the primary celebrity destination on the MSN network. This month, they launched a lifestyle site – GLO, in partnership with MSN and Hachette Filipacchi Media. BermanBraun is presently producing two network series MERCY on NBC and ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE on CBS. They are also producing the series IS SHE REALLY GOING OUT WITH HIM? for MTV.Cool Posts From Around the Web: