Posted on Thursday, December 20th, 2012 by Germain Lussier
Bad news on the Star Wars front today. Remember earlier this week when we thought part of the plot to Star Wars Episode VII had leaked and Luke Skywalker was returning to Yavin IV to create a Jedi Academy? Well, that’s not happening, or at least the reporter said he was incorrect. Also, fans of what Dark Horse has done with the Star Wars franchise better get their fill soon because, when their contract runs out with Lucasfilm in 2013, all signs point to Marvel – which is owned by Disney – getting the rights. Read more after the jump.
To recap the original Yavin story, Reuters reported the following in a recent news story.
Yavin 4 and the rebel base return to the Star Wars plot in the forthcoming Episode VII, announced in October by the Walt Disney Co, in which Skywalker comes back to the planet to build a Jedi Knight academy. However, fans said that Disney will likely film those scenes in a studio rather than return to Tikal.
Many, many sites pointed out this was a plot line in the Extended Universe and, likely, just a misunderstanding. TheForce.net was able to get in touch with the Reuters reporter, who said the following:
This was a mistake. I misunderstood what fan clubs had told me and shown me in book plots and that storyline has not been announced by Disney. Perhaps I should have written something along the lines of ‘Yavin 4 appears in several Star Wars book plots and while Guatemala fans said they hope film crews return to Tikal, the company has not announced plans for the new episode.’
Back to the drawing board, everyone!
The Suits in the know have determined that no new contracts will be given to Dark Horse after the current ones expire. So all new projects after 2013 will be handled internally by Marvel.
It’s not known yet if titles will be worked into the regular line up, or will Marvel create a special branch of the company that deals with Star Wars. It’ll take a couple of years for the old deals to work there course, but the stories that Dark Horse have coming down the pipeline will be the last. And you can expect anything new from Marvel dealing with Star Wars to arrive around 2015.
Apparently, a few new comics have recently started up at Dark Horse so no one knows if those will continue. Plus, this hasn’t been officially announced, just surmised from sources.
Which of these are more upsetting? Do you think Marvel could actually be a better place for Dark Horse?