Posted on Friday, August 7th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits:
- Ewan McGregor responds to rumors that he will be reprising his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a new Star Wars Anthology film. His answer may surprise you a bit.
- Is a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic video game being worked on for 2016 release?
- See two more variant cover images for the Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire comic book series which will help fill in the thirty year gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens
- One of the Force Friday releases is teased in a magazine ad: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Monopoly.
- See Boba Fett on the cover of the X-Box Official Magazine to promote Star Wars Battlefront.
- And find out if the Star Wars: The Force Awakens sets are still standing in Abu Dubai.
All that and more.
One of the 20 books which will hit store shelves in December 2015 to help fill in the thirty year gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens is a prequel comic book called Star Wars: Shattered Empire. We now have shown you the official synopsis for Star Wars: Shattered Empire comic book series, and even have shown you some of the cover images. And now we have even more cover images thanks to BleedingCool.
To the left above is the Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire variant cover by Francesco Francavilla, for Third Eye Comics. To the right above is Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire variant cover from Mike Deodato for Comic*Pop Collectibles. Unfortunately we don’t know if these variant cover images tell us anything about the actual storyline of the comic books. The Marvel Star Wars comic books so far have had some many variant covers which had absolutely nothing to do with the contents of the issues.
We don’t know much about the new Star Wars merchandise we’ll see on “Force Friday”. As you know, on September 4th 2015 at midnight, a ton of new Star Wars: The Force Awakens toys and collectibles will be unleashed upon this world. But Lucasfilm and Disney has been keeping the mystery box closed until that date, with only a few LEGO set details and images leaking out previously.
Well we know one thing you can expect to see in stores on Force Friday: Hasbro will release a Monopoly game based on Star Wars: The Force Awakens. JediNewsUK found an advertisement teasing this new version of the classic board game, which will probably reveal many of the location and character names from the new movie when it hits shelves.
Could one of the most popular and critically acclaimed Star Wars games ever released be coming back to game consoles? Cinelinx is reporting a rumor that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will be getting an update for the current generation consoles, and not just “a resolution remaster” but an “actual upgrade to the game to make it enjoyable for both new and returning gamers.”The report claims we’ll hear an announcement in the fourth quarter of 2015 for a possible quarter three or quarter four 2016 release.
Who knows how much weight this video game rumor holds, but if Disney were to allow a new version that would essentially make the Knights of the Old Republic era canon again. I somehow doubt that Disney and the Lucasfilm story group wants to box themselves in on an entire era of this galaxy’s story at this point, unless the release the game under the Star Wars Legends imprint (which is possible, they are re-releasing old books not considered canon under that imprint, so why not an old video game?).