Posted on Friday, April 10th, 2015 by Germain Lussier
This edition of sequel bits has some casting, some photos and some interesting trivia from sequels that never will be. Below, read the latest edition of Sequel Bits.
- Joey King and Brent Spiner return for Independence Day 2.
- The kids are scared in a new photo from Jurassic World.
- Brian O’Halloran returns for Mallrats 2.
- See a crazy photo of Kristen Wiig in Zoolander 2.
- Johnny Galecki joins the cast of Rings, plus more details.
- Why isn’t Ja Rule in the Fast and Furious sequels?
- The time has passed for a Dwayne Johnson Hobbs Fast and Furious spin off.
- A new Hitman: Agent 47 poster is out.
- The star of Tomorrowland ponders the possibility of a sequel.
- Watch Broken Lizard start training for Super Troopers 2.
- More discussion about a Dragon Tattoo sequel.
- Adam Sandler killed a Freddy Krueger prequel.
Director Roland Emmerich announced two more actors for Independence Day 2: Joey King and Brent Spiner. King is a solid addition but the real interesting bit here is Spiner. He died in the first film, playing the crazy doctor inside Area 51. It should be interesting to see how that plays out.
The Jurassic World Twitter posted this new image of Ty Simpkins, Nick Robinson and Chris Pratt in a very Jurassic Park Alan Grant pose.
It’s a small but crucial role in Mallrats and he’ll be back for Mallrats 2. Kevin Smith annoucned that Clerks star Brian O’Halloran will reprise his role as game show contestant Gil Hicks in Mallrats 2.
Zoolander 2 is currently filming and one of the new cast additions is Kristen Wiig. That makes sense, but she looks completely unrecognizable. Check out the image:
— Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) April 2, 2015
The next sequel to The Ring, Rings, is casting up. Big Bang Theory star Johnny Galecki has joined the cast as “Gabriel, a handsome, pleasure-seeking professor who mentors and helps boyfriend and girlfriend duo, Holt (Alex Roe) and Julia (Matilda Lutz)” via Deadline.
Rapper Ja Rule appeared in the Fast and Furious franchise before fellow musicians Ludacris and Tyrese. So why did he not return? Well, Grantland talked to John Singelton, the director of 2 Fast 2 Furious who cast Ludacris and Tyrese, and he tells a story of Ja Rule turning down the role because he was so big at the time, he felt he was better than a sequel. That was a mistake. Read the whole thing at that link.