Posted on Sunday, August 9th, 2009 by Peter Sciretta
Entertainment Weekly has revealed four new members of the cast of the 2010 Dan Bradley‘s remake of Red Dawn. MGM is producing the redo of the 1984 John Milius action war drama about a bunch of Colorado high school students who must run for cover then Soviet and Cuban troops invade their school. The students decide to wage their own guerrilla warfare against the invaders under the banner of their football team, The Wolverines.
- Josh Hutcherson (Journey to the Center of the Earth) will play the role of Robert, originated by C. Thomas Howell, the Wolverine’s tech geek and communications specialist who transforms into a warrior along the way.
- Isabel Lucas (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen) will play Erica, a role originated by Lea Thompson, the Wolverines’ head cheerleader and Matt’s girlfriend who becomes incarcerated in an internment camp after the invasion.
- Edwin Hodge (Mental) will play Danny, a role originated by Brad Savage, no longer the young kid but the cool kid in school, the Wolverines’ wide receiver, and Matt’s best friend.
- Connor Cruise (son of Tom Cruise, appeared in Seven Pounds) as Daryl, a role originated by Darrne Dalton — The mayor’s son, the youngest Wolverine, and Robert’s best friend
The cast also includes previously announced cast members Josh Peck, Adrianne Palicki, Chris Hemsworth. More details after the jump.
- Chris Hemsworth (best known as Kirk’s father in JJ Abrams’ Star Trek) will be playing Jed Eckert (played by Patrick Swayze in the original), a marine on leave, who leads the group into battle.
- Josh Peck (The Wackness) will be playing Matt Eckert (played by Charlie Sheen in the original), the younger brother of Jed and the high school’s star quarterback.
- Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights) will play Toni Mason (played by Jennifer Grey in the original), survivor turned tough girl and Jed’s possible love interest.
Red Dawn is scheduled to hit theaters on September 24th 2010.
Discuss: What do you think of the casting choices so far?