Posted on Thursday, January 28th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
Welcome back to The Force Awakens Bits, your ongoing source of assorted Star Wars: The Force Awakens news items. In today’s edition:
- David Prowse reveals Darth Vader’s actual helmet 30 years later.
- You can now pre-order Captain Phasma’s replica helmet.
- The secret voices of The Force Awakens.
- Wall-E joins the Star Wars universe.
- Star Wars Vines that are actually worth your seven seconds.
- The wackiest theories about Rey’s parents.
- The case of The Force Awakens if they lived in Feudal Japan.
- And more!
As you already know, Kylo Ren has somehow managed to acquire the melted and twisted remains of Darth Vader’s helmet, rescued from Anakin Skywalker’s funeral pyre on Endor. What he doesn’t know is that he has the wrong helmet. We now know this because David Prowse, the actor who actually wore the Darth Vader suit in all three films of the original trilogy, has the burnt remains of the costume from the original Return of the Jedi shoot and he shared picture of them on Facebook. Not quite as cinematic as the movie version, huh? Instead of looking like a broken monument, it looks more like something out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
If you want to gaze upon a helmet that isn’t totally disgusting, there’s always Anovos’ new Captain Phasma helmet replica, which is officially available for pre-order. The $799 price tag may be nothing short of obscene, but man, it sure is gorgeous. Here’s what this thing includes:
- Metalized elements to capture the accurate finish and distinct weathering of an original screen-used helmet
- Convex tinted lens
- Derived from digital files used in the production of STAR WARS™: THE FORCE AWAKENS, as well as unprecedented access to the original prop for deep study
- Sturdy fiberglass construction
- Adjustable head rig that will fit up to a size 8 hat size
- Lined interior for finished appearance inside and out
- Assembled helmet, ready to wear with no additional modifications needed
A new StarWars.com article has revealed that more than a few familiar voices play small roles in The Force Awakens. You may have already known that Kevin Smith cameos as the voice of a Stormtrooper, but did you catch Sam Witwer and James Arnold Taylor, who voice Emperor Palpatine and Obi Wan Kenobi on Star Wars: The Clone Wars as Stormtroopers during the attack on the Jakku village? And there’s Matt Lanter, best known as Anakan Skywalker on The Clone Wars, voicing a Stormtrooper during the action at Maz Kanta’s castle. As for the Stormtrooper who won our hearts by engaging Finn in hand-to-hand combat? That’s Lucasfilm sound designer David Acord. And, perhaps most importantly, the short-lived X-Wing pilot Ello Asty is voiced by Matthew Wood, better known as the voice of General Grievous from the prequel trilogy.
You can find the complete list of voice cameos at the link above.
Look, we know you’ve probably tossed and turned in bed some nights, wondering what would happen if Wall-E somehow managed to end up in the Star Wars universe. You probably didn’t see that coming. thanks, Berds and Nerds.
Look, if you say “Hey, come check out these Star Wars Vines!”, I’ll be perfectly honest and admit that my first reaction would be to run as fast as possible in the other direction. But we’ll hand it to Viner Wahyu Ichwandari (AKA, Pinot) – this is some seriously impressive work.