Posted on Thursday, July 16th, 2009 by Peter Sciretta
Last night we posted some super blurry photos from Entertainment Tonight, but we finally have clearer versions from the source. Friday’s issue of Entertainment Weekly is a full-on Comic Con preview and features our first look at Scarlett Johansson as Russian superspy Natasha Romanoff (aka the Black Widow) from Iron Man 2. A preview of the issue on EW.com confirms a couple bits of information, which along with a high resoltuion scan of the cover, are presented after the jump.
Confirmed bits of info:
- Sam Rockwell plays a fast-talking weapons manufacturer named Justin Hammer, “who fancies himself the next Tony Stark”
- Mickey Rourke plays Russian criminal Vanko, who creates his own battle-suit while incarcerated in a Soviet prison.
- Whiplash’s suit “shoots devastating, whip-like beams.”
- Hammer and Whiplash join forces to take on Stark/Iron Man,
- Rourke insisted that his character have a cockatoo, which he talks to and gets drunk with while he’s making the suit.
- Scarlett Johansson plays Russian superspy (possibly undercover?) Natasha Romanoff (aka the Black Widow), who is hirede as Stark’s assistant which inevitably sparks romantic tension between Stark and former assistant Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), who’s been promoted to CEO of Stark Industries.