Longtime /Film stalwarts might have already noticed, but the amount of comments on the site is quickly reaching critical mass. On the one hand, it’s amazing that the site is growing so quickly, and bringing some fantastic conversations along with it. On the other hand, we can’t possibly comb through the wealth of comments to ensure that spammers/trolls are deleted and banned. That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for someone in the /Film community to help moderate our comments. Hit the jump to hear the details.
The current comment policy at /Film is as follows:
Keep the conversation civil and on topic. If your comment does not add to the conversation, it will be removed. Debate intelligently. Insulting the author, /Film, or other commenters will result in comment removal and possible ban. If you want to point out a typo, correction, suggestion or criticism for /Film, please email us instead. Please use your name or nickname and not your business name (i.e. Discount Car Parts) as we might confuse and mark it as spam. If you would like to have your own avatar show up with your comment, sign-up for a free Disqus account. Any links will go into moderation before being approved. Anything we deem as spam will not be approved.
We need someone to make sure that these policies are enforced and that the quality of discussion remains high around these parts. An ideal candidate for this job will fit the following description:
- Has contributed meaningfully to /Film comments in the past
- Will be a visible part of the community, active in contributing and keeping discussions on topic (Not just a faceless backend moderator).
- Has not himself/herself violated the above rules on multiple occasions
- Is willing to moderate comments for free
- Is available to monitor site comments for most of the hours of an average workday. (This does not have to be continuous. Checking every once in awhile while you’re on break at your desk job will work fine).
- Is willing to write-up a “Best /Film comments of the week” post on a weekly basis. While the comment moderation will be unpaid, there is a possibility for this weekly comments blog post to be paid, based on experience. Plus you’ll get a link to your website on whatever posts you make at /Film
- Has an even temperment and great equanimity
The benefits of this job?
- Potential payment and a byline at /Film (for the weekly “Best of” posts)
- Getting featured in the /Film Contributors sidebar
- A feeling of godlike power over your fellow commenters
- A sense that you are restoring peace and balance to the comments section of /Film
If you’re interested, e-mail me at slashfilmcast(AT)gmail(DOT)com, put the phrase “/Film Comment Moderator” in the subject line, and include 1) a link to your Disqus profile featuring the comments you’ve made at /Film and at other sites, 2) some samples of your best writing (links to blog posts will be fine, or cut-and-paste samples into the e-mail), and 3) a few sentences about why you think you’d be right for the job.
One last thing: We will most likely get many more applications than there are positions available (there is only one available position). We cannot respond to every single e-mail we receive, nor can we provide feedback on applications. If we like your application, you will hear from us again. Either way, we are grateful for your interest! Thanks!