And The Dark Knight sequel gossip continues. Could Cher be in line to play Catwoman in the next Batman installment? The British newspaper The Telegraph is citing a “studio executive” source, claiming that Cher us “Nolan’s first choice” for the role.
“He wants to her to portray her like a vamp in her twilight years,” says the Telegraph’s source. “The new Catwoman will be the absolute opposite of Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry’s purring creations.”
While I agree that Catwoman should be given a Nolanverse-style reboot, if she were to make an appearance in the next Batman film, Cher seems like a strange choice even considering Nolan’s history. Of course, The Telegraph is known for it’s gossipy/tabloid like reports, and unless an actual source is clearly identified, I wouldn’t bet 25 cents on a story like this one. But let us pretend for a second that this rumor is true: I would expect a heavy fan backlash over the casting choice. Not that Nolan hasn’t encountered adverse reaction in his past decisions. From what I remember, when the casting announcement was first made, most fans hated the idea of Heath Ledger as The Joker.
Discuss: What do you think about the slight possibility of Cher playing The Catwoman in Nolan’s third Batman film?
Who even knows if Catwoman will be a featured villain in the third film. Here is what We Know So Far:
- June 29th: Gary Oldman suggested The Riddler might be the main villain during an interview with /Film. It was unclear if he had any information regarding that possible direction, or if he was just thinking out loud.
- July 3rd: Goyer admitted to BatmanOnFilm that the realistic tone of the Nolanverse would prevent some of the more unrealistic characters from making an appearance: “You’re not going to see Clayface in these films”
- July 9th: David Goyer told /Film at the Junket: ‘There are dozens, if not hundreds of other characters that are possibilities. Everyone says you have you use the Penguin or Catwoman. Well, I completely disagree.”
- July 21st: Goyer admits to MTV that he has “talked loosely about” the theme for the third film. And of course, the theme has always been connected with the choice of villains.
- July 27th: The New York Daily News reported that Angelina Jolie had inquired about playing the role.
- August 15th: Variety reports that Warner Bros has offered Christopher Nolan a deal for a third film, but Nolan hasn’t yet signed on: “We have no idea where Chris is going with this,” Alan Horn said. “We haven’t had any conversations with him about it.”