Posted on Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 by Angie Han
Phase Two of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will begin playing out in theaters next month, but meanwhile the studio is already getting their plans in place for Phase Three. Earlier this year, Kevin Feige confirmed that Doctor Strange would “definitely” be involved in the next stage of the Marvel franchise. No director or star has been announced just yet, but rumors about who might fill those roles are starting to spring up.
According to a new report, actor/writer Justin Theroux is being eyed for the Doctor Strange role, and may even be working on the script already. Meanwhile, Evil Dead remake helmer Fede Alvarez is said to have met with Marvel Studios to discuss the Doctor Strange directing gig. Alvarez himself denies it, but it’s not like we’ve never seen a filmmaker lie about this kind of thing before. Hit the jump to keep reading.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Briefly: A Los Angeles blog is reporting that the Alamo Drafthouse is finally coming to the movie capital of the world. The location would be downtown, at the corner of 4th and Main Streets, and feature eight screens. ”Plans call for the theater to be built into the hill with a rooftop garden,” the site says, and it would open sometime in 2014.
A Drafthouse spokesperson said “We have had discussions but there is no formalized agreement” so nothing is official yet. In the past, the second something is official (as in Colorado, New York or San Francisco) a press release is sent out. So don’t start lining up for Mondo posters just yet. But maybe LA fans will soon have their chance. [DTLA News]
Marvel’s Phase Two is ready to start next month, and with all those films lined up, fans have begun heavy speculation on what Phase Three will hold. It’ll start on November 6, 2015 with Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man. From there the possibilities include Doctor Strange, another Iron Man/Thor/Captain America sequel or maybe Black Panther. The latter has been rumored for several years, with screenplays and pitches apparently falling by the wayside as Marvel focused on other films.
The latest update concerns actor Morris Chestnut. Best known for Boyz N The Hood, American Horror Story and this year’s Kick-Ass 2, Chestnut took to Twitter and Facebook Monday telling fans “It’s time to get familiar with the Black Panther character!” Just as the Internet began to pick up on the hint, he deleted the Tweet and Facebook posts. Read More »
Though Fast and Furious fans are excited to be getting a new film soon, many took a moment of silence this week for Justin Lin‘s departure from the series. The director of the third, fourth, fifth and now sixth installments recently revealed that he wouldn’t return for Fast and Furious 7. Universal wants to rush it out next year, and he didn’t feel the schedule was creatively workable. This is the guy who took a franchise about racing cars a quarter mile at a time and turned it into a bona fide blockbuster action franchise. His touch will be missed.
That leaves Fast and Furious 7 in need of a director and Latino-Review is reporting three men are currently on the short list. They are Jeff Wadlow (Kick-Ass 2), Brad Furman (The Lincoln Lawyer) and Harald Zwart (The Karate Kid). Read More »
It’s not enough that Zack Snyder‘s Superman revival, Man of Steel, features a spin on the Superman II villain Zod. Audiences want more, and given that there are expectations that Man of Steel will lead to another film in a similar vein, some fans figure that Snyder’s first Superman film will introduce another big bad around whom the next chapter could be built.
Screenwriter David Goyer has suggested that another classic Superman villain will show up, and now there’s a report that attempts to confirm that we’ll definitely see additional villainy in the film. We’ll keep all the detailed talk after the break, to shield those who aren’t interested in potential spoilers. Read More »
The end of Ridley Scott‘s Prometheus is just the beginning of a new story. As Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) flies up into space it’s obvious that the prequel (of sorts) to Alien has more ground to cover. Some of the film’s questions were answered by the time the credits rolled, but many were not. The unresolved story points became a topic in criticisms levied at the film.
Further answers seem likely to come in the form of a sequel. While Prometheus wasn’t the gargantuan blockbuster many thought it would be, the director, screenwriter, and star all confirmed a follow-up has long been discussed and is currently in-development. That’s where things have sat for the past few months.
Now a report says Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox are “freaking out” trying to figure out how to continue the franchise. They’re reportedly ”taking pitches from basically anyone who can crack the story,” and blame for the problems is placed squarely on the shoulders of screenwriter Damon Lindelof. The report says Lindelof came on board, altered Jon Spaihts‘ original script from a one-shot to a trilogy and then abandoned the franchise to work on Star Trek Into Darkness and Tomorrowland.
I asked Lindelof about this accusation on Twitter, and he responded with a long e-mail. You can read that below, along with a few other thoughts. Read More »
Today, Empire ran a great new photo of the original Escape From New York team of director John Carpenter and star Kurt Russell. Along with the pic, Carpenter commented on the potential new reboot of Escape From New York (“they don’t know where they’re going with it”) and Russell opined on the problem with casting a new version of his character Snake Plissken. ”If you’re going to do him, do him young. He’s one of those guys,” Russell says. “When it comes to Snake, I can tell you one thing… he’s American. It’s really important that he’s American.”
Appropriately enough, we’ve now got some potential casting options for the reboot/prequel, and neither is an American actor. Tom Hardy and Jason Statham are the two actors that have been newly rumored as the possible new Plissken in the film Joel Silver is setting up to be the first in a new trilogy. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 by Angie Han
Despite a scheduled summer 2014 opening, Jurassic Park IV still has a ways to go before it can enter production. There’s still no director or star attached, though writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver turned in a new draft of the script earlier this year. But things could start falling into place very quickly if a new rumor is to be believed.
Universal has reportedly reserved Raleigh Studios in Baton Rouge from April through November of this year. There’s no official word on what project will shoot there, but the timing, location, and other clues point to the next installment of the prehistoric franchise as a strong possibility. Hit the jump to keep reading.
Read More »