Frozen is taking over Disney parks, and old rides have to close in order to make room for the new stuff. Read about that and much more in this edition of Theme Park Bits.
- Universal Studios is planning their biggest park yet in Beijing.
- The Studio Backlot Tour at Disney’s Hollywood Studios has closed.
- The Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage has reopened at Disneyland.
- Watch the final ride on Maelstrom, which is being replaced by Frozen.
- The Bill & Ted component of Horror Nights may be in the past.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
As you know, I’m a huge theme park fanatic and cover the Disney theme park beat here on the site. I’m a Disneyland Annual Passholder, and make trips to the park quite frequently. You may have also heard about the new FastPass+ system that Disney has implemented in Florida that allows resort guests to pre-book fast passes during their visit. It sounds like a great idea. Through the reservation system, guests choose the rides and morning, afternoon and evening times for the three attractions they’d like to experience during that day. This can be done many months in advance of a trip. But I have found there are many downsides to this system.
And now Disney is apparently doing a test in Orlando that could dramatically change how you experience their theme parks: Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios will be instituting FastPass-only access to the popular ride Toy Story Mania. What this means is that you can’t even wait hours in line for the ride, even if you wanted to experience the attraction that badly. Already a huge chunk of the Fast Pass slots is being reserved for guests of the resort who book months in advance. So after the morning batch of fast passes are gone, will theme park guests no longer be allowed to ride any of the popular E-ticket attractions?
Read More »
It was an exciting weekend to be a Star Wars fan. If you missed the fun, don’t fret, we’ve got you covered. Below, read the following:
- Watch the first footage of actual filming on the set of Star Wars Episode VII featuring John Boyega. (Non-spoiler, too!)
- See potential set photos of Adam Driver and Gwendoline Christie on set in very Star Wars-y outfits. (spoilers hidden)
- Is Endor a location in Star Wars Episode VII?
- Disneyland Paris will gets Star Wars upgrade in the coming years.
- WWE wrestler Sheamus settles that Darth Vader rumor.
- Crazy rumors say Daniel Craig, Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson and Hugh Jackman are in Episode VII.
- Watch two new Star Wars Rebels TV spots.
- Look at Eric Tan‘s amazing Star Wars Trilogy prints and the above Han Solo piece.
Read More »
Two of the most recent Disney movies, Guardians of the Galaxy and Maleficent, were both massive hits. Among the few things those films have in common is they both held 4D previews at Disneyland/California Adventure in Anaheim, CA. This probably didn’t have any direct effect on the success of the films, but if it ain’t broke, why fix it? Disney just announced they’ll be giving the same 4D sneak-preview treatment for their next film, Big Hero 6. Read more about the Big Hero 6 Disney event below. Read More »
Since the huge success of Disney’s Frozen, one of the constant rumors around the theme park forums is that Disney Imagineering were planning to retheme Epcot’s Maelstrom ride based on the new Disney animated classic. Well confirmation has come, and that is exactly what is happening. After the jump, find out more about the Frozen ride, DisneyWorld’s plan to transform their castle for Elsa, and the history of Epcot and the Maelstrom attraction.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Its been a while so I think its about time we catch up on the backlog of theme park news with a new edition of Theme Park Bits. In this edition:
- Guardians of the Galaxy costumed characters appeared at Walt Disney World
- Disneyland to open Frozen themed boutique
- Disney filed patents for a drone-powered ariel display system that could replace fireworks with animatronic flying characters.
- John Carpenter’s Halloween comes to Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights
- Walk-Around Oswald The Lucky Rabbit Coming to Disneyland
- Halloween Carnival Returns to Disneyland’s Big Thunder Ranch
- Universal Orlando announces another new hotel resort Sapphire Falls
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Brad Bird‘s Tomorrowland is ready to come out into the world. Tuesday, Disney revealed that the film would have a presence at New York Comic-Con. Now, we can exclusively reveal the film will also have a presentation at the D23 Destination D event that takes place November 22-23 in Orlando, Florida.
The film’s supervising art director Ramsey Avery will dive into the making of the film, specifically talking about how they reconstructed parts of the 1964 World’s Fair including the “It’s A Small World” ride.
Find out more about the Tomorrowland event and learn how to get tickets below. Read More »
Six Flags has announced two new theme park attractions featuring DC Comic book superheroes: A Batman 4D Roller Coaster in Texas and an interactive dark ride attraction called Justice League: Battle for Metropolis which will open in two Texas and Missouri parks. Find out more information about both new attractions alone with teaser trailers for both rides, after the jump.
Read More »
When Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm, they did it for more than movies. They did it for TV shows. They did it for merchandise and they did it for licensing. Also, they spent those billions to integrate both those properties into their theme parks. That has yet to happen in a major way, but it hasn’t stopped the rumor mill from spinning. The latest possibility says Star Wars won’t take over Disneyland‘s Tomorrowland as originally though. Instead, they might take over Toontown and a large section of the Big Thunder Ranch.
Also, a Marvel themed roller coaster is rumored to be under consideration for Disney’s California Adventure, in a parking lot area, plus Frozen will take over a section of the park this holiday season and The Muppets could get a new movie. Read about all these latest Marvel and Star Wars Disneyland rumors below. Read More »