Briefly: Three numbers made Thursday a big day in the world of Star Wars: 12/18/15. That’s the day J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars Episode VII will finally hit theaters in what’s sure to be one of the most hyped openings of all-time. In a new interview, Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke about choosing that date and also confirmed there are lots of Star Wars-centric plans not only for Disneyland and Walt Disney World, but international theme parks too. Watch a video of him discussing it all, below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Besides Thursday’s really big Star Wars Episode VII news, there are some very interesting bits on that film, the casting call, J.J. Abrams and even a change to the original trilogy in today’s Star Wars Bits. Read about the following after the jump:
- J.J. Abrams discusses fan reactions on the Internet.
- Saoirse Ronan confirms she didn’t get the role in Star Wars Episode VII.
- A single line, omitted from Return of the Jedi, changes the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Producer Gary Kurtz and Darth Vader actor David Prowse discuss the Episode VII open casting call.
- One of the original Jabba The Hutt puppeteers is now a librarian.
- Watch Adam Savage build Han Solo’s blaster.
Read More »
It’s official. Star Wars Episode VII will be released December 18, 2015, in 3D. Read the full press release below. Read More »
The Star Wars world was shook last last month when it was announced screenwriter Michael Arndt was leaving Star Wars Episode VII. He was replaced by the film’s director J.J. Abrams and producer Lawrence Kasdan, who himself wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark. To many, the move was the first acknowledgement there were major behind the scenes issues with the highly anticipated sequel. Yet, despite rumors of disagreements between Arndt and Abrams, no one officially commented.
Abrams is now out doing press for his show Almost Human and blamed the aggressive timeframe for the film as the reason for the change. Read his quotes below. Read More »
If true, the latest Star Wars Episode VII rumor blows the lid off everything we expected the sequels to be. Though co-writer and producer Lawrence Kasdan has long said the new films won’t follow any stories from the Extended Universe, almost everyone assumed the main characters — all believed to be young adults — would somehow be related to the Skywalker and Solo families. They’d have to be, considering Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, who finished the series dating Han Solo, were the last two Jedi in the universe. Any future Jedi would surely be directly related.
That might not be the case. An open Disney casting call is happening this month in the United Kingdom and multiple websites, including the BBC, are reporting it is 100% for Star Wars. The casting sheet lists two roles, one of which is an orphaned female and the other is fatherless male. If those are main characters, they are not likely related to the Skywalkers or Solos. Read More »
For months there has been a stream of conversation about whether or not Star Wars Episode VII will arrive in early summer 2015 as originally planned. Rumors that it would slip to December ’15 were bolstered by some of the news around the announced change of screenwriters from Michael Arndt to J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. But other anecdotal evidence says that Disney chief Bob Iger sees Star Wars as locked in to 2015 — there are a lot of financial plans riding on that release date.
Precisely when the film will hit in 2015 remains the subject of speculation however, with Lucasfilm saying only that the film is going to shoot next year for an “expected 2015 release.”
Now tweets from a Dutch Disney exec seem to position the film as a late 2015 release. Read More »
Two probable principals in Star Wars Episode VII speak about the franchise, plus there’s talk of hockey, gambling, museums and all sorts of odds and ends in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- Star Wars Episode VII director J.J. Abrams spoke about what made the original film so special.
- Harrison Ford called Star Wars Episode VII “a work in progress…maybe.”
- Read a hilarious fan theory that Watto is Anakin Skywalker‘s biological father.
- Watch the original theatrical re-release trailer for Star Wars.
- Two small hockey teams wore awesome Star Wars jerseys at a recent game.
- You won’t see new Star Wars slot machines anytime soon.
- The Lucas Cultural Arts Museum is now on Twitter.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Second guessing the Star Wars prequels has become damn near as prevalent as praising the original trilogy. George Lucas had some really, really good ideas when trying to tell the story of Anakin Skywalker’s descent to the dark side; he just screwed it up at every single turn. Topher Grace reedited the films together trying to solve these problems, I’ve suggested remaking them, and numerous fans have imagined ways to make the films everything we hoped for in 1999, 2002 and 2005. We’ll never be able to truly fix the prequels, but everyone keeps trying.
The latest theory comes from a man calling himself “Binary Bastard.” He’s created a video suggesting how changing two scenes in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith could have radically improved the tragic fall of Anakin Skywalker. Check it out below. Read More »