After working on Ant-Man for the better part of a decade, director Edgar Wright left the project earlier this summer. Eventually, he was replaced by Peyton Reed and the Marvel film is still on schedule for a July 2015 release. No one has come forward and flat-out said why Wright parted ways with Marvel and no one is likely to do so for some time. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, however, is currently doing press for Guardians of the Galaxy and said the split was amicable, and took place because of “creative differences.” He’s also said the film will retain the DNA both Wright and co-writer Joe Cornish created.
But what exactly does that mean? We know Marvel’s brought in multiple screenwriters to rewrite the script, and there had also been rumblings Wright storyboarded the whole film. Speaking with /Film, Feige admitted some of Wright’s visuals will end up in the movie. Read the full quote about the Edgar Wright Ant Man visuals below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
If you tuned into The View Tuesday morning, you were presented with the biggest Marvel news of the day. Not from Marvel Studios, mind you, but from Marvel Comics. The original. The company announced a new Thor comic is coming out, written by Jason Aaron with art from Russell Dauterman. However, the person most people think of as Thor is no longer worthy to wield Mjölnir, and he’s been replaced by a woman. Yes, the new Thor comic will star a female Thor. See another image and read more below. Read More »
This past weekend, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 crossed $200 million in domestic gross. Add in another $500 million across the world, and $700 million seems like a huge success. But fan reactions to the sequel were tepid and it certainly feels like excitement is waining. That’s not good for Sony Pictures, who famously recruited an army of talented writers and directors to shepherd the character in an every expanding, connected world. Two more Amazing Spider-Man films were tentatively scheduled, along with Venom and Sinister Six films. It was an ambitious plan that was definitely less certain after the slightly disappointing reactions to part 2.
Now the plans for The Amazing Spider-Man are even more in flux. Roberto Orci, who was scheduled to co-write The Amazing Spider-Man 3 and Venom, revealed he’s left the franchise and isn’t quite sure what’s happening moving ahead. Read his quote about the future of The Amazing Spider Man franchise and more below. Read More »
After months of investigation, criminal charges have finally been filed related to the death of camera assistant Sarah Jones while filming the Gregg Allman biopic Midnight Rider. Jones was killed when a train traveled down the tracks upon which the Midnight Rider crew was working at the time. Now director Randall Miller and producers Jody Savin and Jay Sedrish have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass in the Wayne County, Georgia superior court. Read More »
Normally, the rating of a film isn’t particularly important. In fact, ratings can totally fail to represent the content of a film. When the Motion Picture Association of America gives a sweet movie like Boyhood an R and a huge, destructive movie like Transformers: Age of Extinction a PG-13, it’s obvious the association’s judgement is questionable. But every once in a while a rating indicates something significant about a film. Now another big summer franchise is about to go through a potentially telling ratings change.
After part one and two were rated R for “strong bloody violence,” The Expendables 3 has been rated PG-13, which suggests the franchise known for being so brutal might have been toned down. Read More »
While his movies make hundreds of millions of dollars within days of release, their sure seems to be a lot of Michael Bay critics out there. In my opinion, Bay gets way more criticism than is really deserved. Are Bay’s films deep meaningful pieces of art? Not really… But Bay makes some fun action films, each with some especially artful cinematography, visual effects and sound design. But Bay is one of the largest targets of film critics and moviegoers alike. Recently Michael Bay and his Transformers: Age of Extinction producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura have responded to the criticism head on. I wanted to highlight these interviews.
Read More »
The battle over May 2016 is getting more and more interesting. A while back, we thought the Summer of 2015 was the be-all, end-all for summer sequels. Those months were scheduled to include all the movies that are currently being released as well as two of the most anticipated movies ever: Star Wars Episode VII and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Those two films were later slotted into December 2015 and May 2016 respectively. May 2016 got more interesting, however, when Marvel dated Captain America 3 for the same release day as Batman v Superman. That’s where things stood for a while.
Then Harrison Ford broke his leg.
Now, while Disney is dead-set on holding December 18, 2015 as the Star Wars Episode VII release date, director/producer J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy have reportedly asked, and been denied, a move to May 4, 2016.
Below, we examine the potential Star Wars 7 release date change from both sides of the argument. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
UPDATE: More sources have confirmed this is not a rumor, as it was initially framed. Changes have been made below to reflect that.
UPDATE 2: Ford’s publicist confirmed to BBC News that Ford didn’t just break his ankle. He broke his left leg.
Word of Harrison Ford‘s ankle injury on the set of Star Wars Episode VII spread very quickly last week. Reactions ranged from blind panic to mellow dismissal as initial reports made it sound like the injury was no big deal. Now, it turns out, that might not be the case.
Multiple sources, including several gossip websites and some UK newspapers, are reporting Ford not only has a badly broken ankle, but a broken left leg, which could sideline him from filming the highly anticipated sequel for up to eight weeks. Read More »