Tuesday, the hackers that exposed Sony’s internal workings went a step further and issued a big threat, invoking 9/11 in a statement that promised action against theaters showing The Interview. But the Department of Homeland Security — a group that really doesn’t mess around when it comes to this sort of thing — said there was no credible information to indicate an actual threat. Sony was fairly magnanimous about the situation, saying it would allow theaters to make the decision to show the film or not, even if bookings had already been locked in.
Last night Carmike Cinemas and Bow Tie Cinemas pulled the film, and today in a precedent-setting move, the five major theater chains in the US and Canada all dropped The Interview.
Update: Sony is now considering a VOD release of the film; more info below.
Update #2: Sony has canceled the December theatrical release of The Interview. Full statement below.
Update #3: Sony has now confirmed they have “no further release plans” for the film while American Intelligence has officially linked North Korea to the Sony hack. Details below.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Thursday, December 11th, 2014 by Angie Han
Aston Martin cars and Omega watches don’t come cheap, and neither do James Bond movies. Sony execs are trying hard to bring down the Spectre budget, which is currently hovering in the $300 million range.
For example, budgetary concerns are one reason Andrew Scott was cast in the role of C — it turns out he was cheaper than the original first choice, Chiwetel Ejiofor. Meanwhile, more character details have come out including confirmation that iconic Bond baddie Blofeld will appear. Hit the jump for more Spectre budget news and plot details. Read More »
If you’re like us and have been obsessively thinking about Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the past two years, give yourself a pat on the back. According to Disney CEO Bob Iger, that incredible level of interest was a major factor in the recent release of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser trailer. Originally, they weren’t going to release something this early, but felt that the fans had demanded it.
Iger talked about that, as well as J.J. Abrams‘ commitment to practical effects and the film’s gargantuan expectations and importance, in a new interview. Below, read about what the Disney CEO said about the Star Wars Force Awakens trailer release and more. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 by Angie Han
It’s no secret that Sony has been struggling with its Spider-Man franchise. Anyone can see the Amazing Spider-Man movies haven’t gained much traction with fans, and plans for Venom, Sinister Six, and a female-led movie have looked more like desperate attempts at reinvention than natural progressions of a healthy franchise.
But there’s even more where that came from, apparently. In its attempts to rejuvenate the brand, Sony is also developing an animated Spider-Man comedy from Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Moreover, at various points, it’s also considered bringing back Sam Raimi or teaming up with Marvel Studios. Hit the jump for more on the Spider-Man animated comedy, the scrapped Marvel crossover, and more. Read More »
The odds of this happening are akin to successfully navigating an asteroid field, but it’s just so fun we had to pass it along. One site is reporting that Warner Bros. has offered Christopher Nolan the opportunity to direct Ready Player One, Ernie Cline‘s pop culture-infused sci-fi adventure, adapted by Zak Penn.
Recently, we reported that Penn’s script had been turned into the studio. If they like it, the timing is right to go out to directors. However, you have to think that Warner Bros. offers Nolan every single movie they have. If he wanted to direct Justice League, Wonder Woman, another Batman movie or The Hobbit, he could. So the question is, if this happened at all, would Christopher Nolan ever direct this film? Also, what does the offer say about the state of the property? Read more about Christopher Nolan Ready Player One below. Read More »
The public domain strikes again! Mere weeks after Sony spent seven figures on a shared universe reimagining of the Robin Hood story, Disney has just purchased their own new version on the classic character. It’s called Nottingham & Hood and was written on spec by first time writer Brandon Barker. Little is know about the take but it’s called “revisionist,” is said to be thematically close to Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean films and is hoped to “launch a new adventure franchise.” Read more about the new Disney Robin Hood film below. Read More »
Dolby wants to challenge IMAX with a new “premium large-format theater experience.” While Dolby has long been known as a purveyor of sound systems for theater and home use, the company is branching out into the theater space with Dolby Cinema. These theaters will be equipped with Dolby Atmos sound systems (of course) and many other bells and whistles. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
These days Michelle MacLaren ends up on every fan list of directors wanted to helm big projects. She’s a big time TV director, showing her talents on Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, but has yet to break into features. When the rumor began that Warner Bros. wanted a female director for their 2017 Wonder Woman movie, MacLaren’s name kept popping up. At the start, that was nothing more than talk. Now, multiple sources have revealed that MacLaren is the frontrunner for the coveted position. Read more about the possible Wonder Woman director below.
Update: MacLaren has now signed to develop and direct Wonder Woman. A few more new details are below, following our original report.
Read More »