Legendary Pictures attempted to surprise the crowd at 2014 Comic Con with a teaser trailer announcing a King Kong-set film project Skull Island. We were given very little information about the project, but Monday we learned more about the writer developing the project and that Legendary has offered the movie to Attack the Block director Joe Cornish. But we still don’t know what the film is about. Is the Skull Island movie adaptation based on a King Kong novel, or an original tale set in the King Kong universe? Or is it possible that Legendary Pictures is working hand in hand with Universal Studios theme parks on making a movie based on a theme park ride that hasn’t even been constructed? I’ll explore both of these questions and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Page 2 is a compilation of stories and news tidbits, which for whatever reason, didn’t make the front page of /Film. After the jump we’ve included 36 different items, fun images, videos, casting tidbits, articles of interest and more. It’s like a mystery grab bag of movie web related goodness.
Header Photo: Joey Spiotto’s “Storytime: a little gallery show”
A Comic-Con Intervention: 3 Humble TV Requests for Next Year
What We Learned From Comic-Con: Movies Were an Afterthought
Recycling Is Not Awesome For Emmit
In Defense of Comic-Con
After Years of Attending, Comic-Con Has Lost Hype But Not Passion
Star Wars Here Goes Nothing Poster
WB Dazzles Comic-Con, Hall H With Supersized Screens
10 Most Ridiculously Priced Comic-Con Exclusives on eBay
Read More »
I’m not sure if /Film readers are looking forward to The Maze Runner, as it might look like another young adult book adaptation. But the footage that was screened at Comic Con surprised those in attendance, and I think it will we will all be pleasantly surprised by the film when its released.
We’ve been following filmmaker Wes Ball since the release of his computer animated short film Ruin a couple years ago. (He has a deal with Fox to eventually make a big screen adaptation of the short.) Ball is part of a new generation of filmmakers who display a mastery of computer-generated imagery and know how to use it as part of the filmmaking toolset. Yesterday the filmmaker went on a mini-rant on Twitter about how he believes audiences are ready for a fully-CG computer-animated feature film for adults, and how he wants to see a “photographic” quality computer-animated feature. He even teased a project he’s been working on for some time. Check out some concept art, a poster and a concept pitch teaser trailer for Wes Ball‘s In Search Of Humans. Learn more, after the jump.
Read More »
Paramount Pictures has announced they will be releasing Forrest Gump in IMAX theaters for a one-week run to celebrate the film’s 20th anniversary. The film has been digitally re-mastered for the IMAX format and released domestically starting September 5th 2014. Later in the month, the film will hit home video in a special Diamond Luxe Blu-ray release from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on September 30th. Read the full press Forrest Gump IMAX release after the jump.
Read More »
Saturday afternoon at the end of Legendary Pictures’ Hall H presentation at 2014 San Diego Comic Con International, Studio head Thomas Tull left the crowd with one last surprise — an announcement teaser for a King Kong prequel Skull Island. Instead of surprise and excitement, the crowd was left confused. That was definitely not the reaction that Legendary had intended. Why did the packed Hall H crowd have that reaction? I have a theory about the Skull Island confusion which you can read, after the jump.
Read More »
At the end of the Legendary panel, studio head Thomas Tull returned to the stage to thank the fans and show off one last thing. The surprise is the announcement of a new King Kong movie titled Skull Island. Thomas Tull announced that they had “been tinkering around with one thing” and showed us some footage for a project that may be a long way out.
Read More »
The /Film crew (Russ Fischer, Germain Lussier, Angie Han and myself, Peter Sciretta ) were in attendance at San Diego Comic Con 2014 over the last five days. While in San Diego, we delivered full coverage of the most interesting movie and television events and news from the convention. Here is a complete listing of everything we covered from Comic Con 2014:
Comic Con 2014 News and Announcements:
- Game of Thrones season 5 casting announcements
- The Last of Us movie announced, Maisie Williams in talks to star
- Possible Godzilla 2 monsters revealed
- Legendary Announces King Kong prequel movie Skull Island
- Ant-Man casting confirms Yellowjacket and Hope Pym
- New and surprising returning cast revealed for Hannibal
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 release date and director confirmed
- Joaquin Phoenix in Talks for Doctor Strange
- Kevin Smith Reveals Plans For ‘True North Trilogy’ Beginning With his low budget horror film Tusk
- Evil Dead television series announced By Sam Raimi
- Patrick Wilson exits Ant-Man
- Quentin Tarantino Confirms ‘The Hateful Eight’, Wants to Do Sci-Fi
- Marvel’s Agent Carter television series directors will include a few filmmakers from the marvel movie universe
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D adds some new cast members, find out which Marvel characters they will play
- Laika would like to make a hand-drawn animated movie
- Warner Bros. Wants Argo Scribe Chris Terrio for ‘Justice League’
- ‘Doctor Strange’s Supernatural Journeys May Look Like ‘Cosmos’
- Paul Bettany says Vision has density-shifting power in ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’
- Firefly cast will reunite for Firefly Online
- Which Movies And TV Shows Had The Highest 2014 Comic Con Buzz?
Comic Con 2014 Panel Recaps, Footage Descriptions and Reactions:
Videos, Trailers, Video Blogs from Comic Con 2014 :
Photos, First Look Images, Concept Art, Posters From Comic Con 2014:
- Wonder Woman costume revealed in first photo from Batman v Superman
- Avengers: Age of Ultron concept art reveals Ultron, The Vision and more.
- 45 Photos and Cool Things I Spotted On The 2014 Comic Con Show Floor
- First Look at the Warcraft weapons
- Chappie’s Family Revealed In Window Cling For Neill Blomkamp’s Latest
- The Maze Runner sequel concept art revealed
- Ant-Man Comic Con Poster Revealed
- Avengers: Age of Ultron Props Reveal Early Ultron and Broken Captain America Shield
- Photos of the new Batman v Superman Batsuit
- Mondo poster for a new Heavy Metal movie
- New Star Wars comics announced, get a first look at all three including a Princess Leia miniseries
- Loki’s staff mysteriously appears in the Marvel booth attached to a strange device
- A look inside Pixels arcade where we get our first look at the Ghostbusters-like hero car and video of Peter Dinklage as a Billy Mitchell-type character.
- A first look at WETA’s miniature creation for the Thunderbirds remake
- Neill Blomkamp’s Chappie Poster Is at Comic-Con
- A look and reaction to the New Toy Story short film Toy Story That Time Forgot
- See a first look photo of Black Widow riding a motorcycle in Avengers 2
- Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover Announced By Boom Studios
- First Look: Michael Mann and Chris Hemsworth Cyber-Thriller ‘Blackhat’
- A first look at the live action Spongebob Squarepants Movie
- Leprechaun: Origins Photo: First Reveal Of The Leprechaun
- First Look: ‘Frozen’s Elsa in ABC’s ‘Once Upon A Time’
- Mondo’s Comic-Con Posters Include Tons of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy,’ ‘Batman,’ and Video Games
- Acme and Nucleus art prints
From the entire /Film crew, I want to thank you for reading our 2014 Comic Con coverage. Note, we will be updating this post over the next day or two as we complete our coverage.
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
During the Marvel Television panel at 2014 Comic Con, they premiered an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. blooper reel which had the packed Ballroom 20 crowd in laughter. With The Complete First Season coming to DVD and Blu-ray on September 9th 2014, Disney Home Entertainment has released the entertaining gag reel video from the bonus features. Watch the Agents of SHIELD blooper reel embedded after the jump, along with information on the home video release of the first season.
Read More »