Posted on Monday, October 31st, 2016 by Ethan Anderton
We’re under a month away from getting a new Disney adventure in the form of Moana, complete with a bunch of new original songs by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa’i and Mark Mancina. We’re already heard one of the songs from the upcoming soundtrack featuring Dwayne Johnson singing “You’re Welcome,” and now we have one more song from the movie.
It’s a tradition with Disney soundtracks that a famous singer records a cover of one of the signature songs from an animated movie, mostly for radio play. This time it’s Canadian chart-topping singer Alessia Cara who has recorded a version of the song “How Far I’ll Go,” which will be sung by young Moana star Auli’i Cravalho in the movie.
You can listen to the full Moana song after the jump.
Here’s the song “How Far I’ll Go” by Alessia Cara from Disney’s Vevo channel:
The entire soundtrack will be available on November 18th, and here’s the tracklist:
1. Tulou Tagaloa – Olivia Foa’i
2. An Innocent Warrior – Vai Mahina, Sulata Foai-Amiatu & Matthew Ineleo
3. Where You Are – Christopher Jackson, Rachel House, Nicole Scherzinger, Auli’i Cravalho & Louise Bush
4. How Far I’ll Go – Auli’i Cravalho
5. We Know the Way – Opetaia Foa’i & Lin-Manuel Miranda
6. How Far I’ll Go (Reprise) – Auli’i Cravalho
7. You’re Welcome – Dwayne Johnson
8. Shiny – Jemaine Clement
9. Logo Te Pate – Opetaia Foa’i, Olivia Foa’i & Talaga Steve Sale
10. I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors) – Rachel House & Auli’i Cravalho
11. Know Who You Are – Auli’i Cravalho, Vai Mahina, Olivia Foa’i, Opetaia Foa’i & Matthew Ineleo
12. We Know the Way (Finale) – Lin-Manuel Miranda & Opetaia Foa’i
13. How Far I’ll Go (Alessia Cara Version) – Alessia Cara
14. You’re Welcome (feat. Lin-Manuel Miranda) [Jordan Fisher/Lin-Manuel Miranda Version] – Jordan Fisher
As you can see, Auli’i Cravalho gets the most songs, which makes sense since she’s playing the title character. But plenty of other cast members get to sing tunes as well. Jemaine Clement and Dwayne Johnson each get a song, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople co-star Rachel House gets to sing “Where You Are” along with an ensemble, which should be fantastic. Plus, there are three songs featuring the vocal talents of Lin-Manuel Miranda, which should please Hamilton fans.
In addition to the above songs, if you buy the deluxe edition of the soundtrack, you’ll get 26 tracks of Mark Mancina’s score. Will this be the kind of soundtrack that fans want to listen to over and over again like Frozen, Aladdin or The Lion King? That’s certainly what Disney is hoping, and with a talent like Lin-Manuel Miranda on board, it should be extremely enjoyable.
Moana hits theaters on November 23, just in time for Thanksgiving.