• About
  • Contact
  • RSS

viola davis suicide squad

When Viola Davis was first rumored to be in the running for the role of Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad, reports were that the only holdup could be the schedule for her ABC television show How to Get Away With Murder. On Tuesday, August 4, Davis was on a panel with cast and producers of other ABC dramas Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy.

After the panel, I approached Davis with a group of reporters and asked her how difficult it was to coordinate Suicide Squad with ABC. Surprisingly, given the reports of her schedule in flux, she said ABC actually wanted her to do the movie. Read More »

.

Please Recommend /Film on Facebook

Deadpool red-band trailer

The first Deadpool red band trailer is officially here, thanks to Fox and Conan. The first footage from the film debuted a few weeks ago at Comic Con and was quickly bootlegged, but following a brief trailer tease that went online yesterday, this is the real thing. Hit the jump to take in all the foul-mouthed and blood-spattered action from Marvel’s Merc With a Mouth as played by Ryan Reynolds and brought to the screen by director Tim MillerRead More »

The Goldbergs Risky Business

ABC presented a panel on The Goldbergs for the Television Critics Association today. The show is entering its third season and getting noticed for its parodies of classic ‘80s movies. In particular, last year’s Ferris Bueller episode made waves with a guest appearance by Charlie Sheen. So series creator Adam F. Goldberg is not going to stop. The season premiere will be a Risky Business episode. Read More »

Why CG Is Bad

We’ve made the point several times in the past, but there’s always reason to make it again: the use of CG may be terrible, but on the whole CG is a great effects tool, especially when used invisibly. A new video collects some arguments against CG and a great many examples of great CG to make the point, in near-definitive fashion, that CG imagery is among the most useful filmmaking tools we have available — it just has to be used well.  Read More »

See a Few High-Res ‘Sinister 2′ Images

Sinister 2 images

Sinister 2 opens in a couple weeks, which means the demon Bughuul will once again be on hand to guide children into actions strange and murderous. We’ve got a small set of high-res Sinister 2 screenshots to herald the return of the new franchise. This time, the film comes from original screenwriters Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill, and director Ciarán Foy, who is coming off the film Citadel and is new to this series.

Check out the Sinister 2 images below. Read More »

Metal Detectors At Movie Theaters

There have been two notable mass shootings at movie theaters since 2012, leading some to call for more protective measures at the multiplex. A new study apparently shows that 34% of filmgoers want metal detectors at the multiplex…. really?!
Read More »

Cool Posts From Around the Web:

Vinyl Teaser

There’s not a lot of footage in this first Vinyl teaser, for the new HBO show from Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger, but when it’s footage from or for a Scorsese project, we’ll take whatever we can get. The show is set in the world of ’70s rock, specifically oriented around a fictional record label called American Century Records.

Bobby Cannavale plays the president of the struggling label, and there’s a huge cast to play friends, hangers-on, and various band members and budding stars. Not that you’ll see any of them in this first Vinyl teaser, which is all about boiling the scene down to iconic images, like instruments, lips, money, and drugs. Read More »

primary instinct

Last year, with the help of some /Film readers, I received Kickstarter funding to direct a concert film with actor Stephen Tobolowsky. The film played at a few film festivals, but the question quickly became: what was going to happen next for The Primary Instinct?

I estimate 70% of the process of releasing a movie is just getting the film made; the other 30% is getting the film seen. That’s why I’m really pleased to announce that FilmBuff — the same distribution company that released great indie films like Exit Through the Gift Shop and The Internet’s Own Boy, will be distributing The Primary Instinct. Hit the jump for more details, plus the full press release.
Read More »

Fantastic Four Honest Trailer

If the recent extended preview for Fantastic Four is any indicator, 20th Century Fox is desperate for you to see and like their reboot of the Marvel comics superhero family. After all, they screwed up the quartet with the first two movies they made, and if this doesn’t work then they might find themselves in an even more desperate situation.

And if you need a reminder as to just how badly Fox mishandled Fantastic Four before this recent reboot, Honest Trailers is here to tear apart not just the first film from 2004, but also Rise of the Silver Surfer from 2007. Watch the Fantastic Four Honest Trailer after the jump! Read More »