Posted on Friday, March 23rd, 2007 by Peter Sciretta
Disney has started airing new television advertisements for their new movie Meet The Robinsons, touting its release in Disney Digital 3D. You can watch the new ad below, followed underneath by a behind the scenes featurette on the 3D process. We also have a list of fun 3D facts involving the movie. Like did you know: In New York City, MEET THE ROBINSONS will only be seen in Disney Digital 3D?
- MEET THE ROBINSONS in Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ will be released on an unprecedented 600 screens nationwide on March 30th. This is the most screens ever for a 3D release to date. For comparison, CHICKEN LITTLE was released on 84 screens nationwide in Fall 2005.
- In New York City, MEET THE ROBINSONS will only be seen in Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢.
- With over 680 3D screens worldwide, MEET THE ROBINSONS in Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ will be seen in almost every major city in the US and a total of 14 countries worldwide including Japan, Australia, Germany, UK, etc.
- In keeping with the futuristic theme of the film, MEET THE ROBINSONS filmmakers took the 3D future of movie exhibition into consideration before production began and looked for ways to create a new 3D experience throughout the production of the film.
- Very early in the creative process, filmmakers for MEET THE ROBINSONS created a “Depth Script” for the entire film, which helped them to visualize how the 3D process could be used to enhance the storytelling and how much depth would be used in each sequence of the film. For example, scenes such as when Lewis arrives in the Future City show the most pop and depth compared to earlier scenes in the film.
- State of the art digital technology has helped the new 3D experience stand head and shoulders over the fads of the 1950’s. Flimsy cardboard glasses of the past have been upgraded to sturdy plastic glasses that don’t cause headaches or nausea with audiences while amazing new systems that incorporate the right eye image and the left eye image into one seamless projection results in a totally immersive viewing experience.
- All presentations of MEET THE ROBINSONS in Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ will also include the classic Disney 1953 3D short, “Working for Peanuts” starring Donald Duck and Chip & Dale. A rare treat which will show audiences that Walt Disney was thinking about the future of 3D over 50 years ago!
- Disney pioneered the high-tech rebirth of 3D with the Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ release of CHICKEN LITTLE in 2005. CHICKEN LITTLE in Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ grossed three times the average per screen box office as the conventional exhibition of the film.
- Last Fall’s re-release of NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS in Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ grossed over $8 million from 168 screens. Not bad for a 14 year old movie! NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS in Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ has now become an annual holiday tradition and will be re-released every year in time for the holidays.
- Other upcoming 3D films include: Robert Zemeckis’ “Beowolf” in November, “Journey 3D” in 2008 and James Cameron’s “Avatar” in 2009.